This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
    The Dutch are really starting to step up their lobbying for defence contracts here it seems, but how “smaller” could you make the Doorman design and at what cost? I mean unless the design has its beam significantly reduced it’s too big for Cobh, and how much capability of the ship would be lost in any reduction? On the other hand something even 2/3s the size would be a massive step up?
    Why does it have to be berthed in Cobh? We need to bethinking out side the box, we have other ports the need the havepermanent navy bases, I would say you would also ease retention if it was not only Cork that theNavy are based.
    "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

• Originally posted by gaff85 View Post

Why does it have to be berthed in Cobh? We need to bethinking out side the box, we have other ports the need the havepermanent navy bases, I would say you would also ease retention if it was not only Cork that theNavy are based.
      By berthing I mean for drydocking, unless the design is shrunk significantly its not going to fit into the Graving dock in Cobh, outside of that the only other place I can think of is H&W in Belfast which brings a lot of other issues no matter what. Given the reports that some funding is happening for a larger mooring berth at the Naval base it can support the larger hull, and given the issues of even trying to start up a support base for the Lakes in Dublin how much more dispersed do you want the Navy? Should every port now have a ship permanently docked there, is the navy to become like every town wanting a "hospital"?

The Commissions recommendation for support bases on the East and West Coast imo are already dispersing the manpower of the NS given the relative small landmass, how much more do you suggest?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        The Commissions recommendation for support bases on the East and West Coast imo are already dispersing the manpower of the NS given the relative small landmass, how much more do you suggest?
        With the pending arrival of the Lake Class from NZ, and the initial plan to base them on the East coast, Arklow, Dun Laoghaire and Drogheda might be looked at. On the west coast, berthing in Galway or Foynes perhaps?
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

With the pending arrival of the Lake Class from NZ, and the initial plan to base them on the East coast, Arklow, Dun Laoghaire and Drogheda might be looked at. On the west coast, berthing in Galway or Foynes perhaps?
          Dun Laoghaire is the plan for East coast as far as I know

Dun Laoghaire was a ferry port so has the space (port roads though for large vehicles) and is closer to most of the places larger equipment is stored

As an aside the former ferry terminal is going to be a ”Co-worker” space (so I assume DF won’t have access to it)

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/d...-worker-space/

can’t find it now but I did see something about some of it being turned into apartments I though

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Dun Laoghaire is the plan for East coast as far as I know

Dun Laoghaire was a ferry port so has the space (port roads though for large vehicles) and is closer to most of the places larger equipment is stored

As an aside the former ferry terminal is going to be a ”Co-worker” space (so I assume DF won’t have access to it)

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/d...-worker-space/

can’t find it now but I did see something about some of it being turned into apartments I though
            Listed complement of a Lake Class is 36, two operating at once is 72 pers, and I am assuming we're going to have two crews per vessel. So, those "Apartments" might be a prime location for NS personnel crewing the new vessels.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Listed complement of a Lake Class is 36, two operating at once is 72 pers, and I am assuming we're going to have two crews per vessel. So, those "Apartments" might be a prime location for NS personnel crewing the new vessels.
              2 crews is an aspiration

that would make sense but it won’t happen

Comment

That's a full compliment in NZ service which includes other agencies. Will be closer to 24 normally. 2 crews per vessel means one off when one is at sea. If they are going to live in when they are off the ship, I expect it'll be in HB in the renovated block 8, not in DL.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                X