Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In passing I noted that HMS Medway accompanied by an RFA unit are happily coping in the HAITI disaster area. OPV Medway has a F.Dk only with a drone facility but has been loaded with personnel and equipment suitable for onshore aid. The latest input, post Afghanistan withdrawal, is that the EU must beef up their RRF capability and delivery systems without relying on US assistance. The spokes person on EU Defence wants all members to beef up existing cooperation strategies. Maybe funding in the offing and screams from a few neutrals to leave the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

I see TEU numbers but I don't see lane metres or a vehicle ramp. Relying on one ships crane to unload everything can be problematic, particularly in a HADR environment. That's exactly the time cranes decide to stop working.
      As a mini LPH though it is a very interesting concept.
      Looking at the image she’s got a rear ramp like car ferries at the corner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

So it does (Must stop looking at this site on phone, or book new eye test).
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post

We talked about this one before and agreement was that not suitable. I forget why.
          I believe it was the Fassmer 70 that was unsuitable

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

I see TEU numbers but I don't see lane metres or a vehicle ramp. Relying on one ships crane to unload everything can be problematic, particularly in a HADR environment. That's exactly the time cranes decide to stop working.
            As a mini LPH though it is a very interesting concept.
            It does have me intrigued too. It is a way more thought out concept than the Canterbury, which was meant to be able to patrol when it was not required for sealift support, and never could.

On the 120m variant it does have a 29x 9m stern well deck for RHIB‘s/USV‘s, amphibious vehicles, and landing craft. And some RoRo capability is indicated on the graphic on pg2 of the pdf as well as up to 1000m2 flex deck for vehicles, which with a 20m beam should enable at least 250 lane metres going on the fact that the Absalon's 900m2 flex deck equates to 245 lane metres. On the page 2 of the pdf it there is a second crane tucked up close to the hangar door though. Though these small B/W images don't help much.'

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see the Fassmer designers sharpen their pencils and evolve this concept into a 135-140m design with mid deck RoRo access like what the Absalon/CY has. With the possibility of space for some ExLS cells for Sea Ceptor and a soft launch decoy system.

Comment

• Of the two ships by FASSMER I would be doubtful about the 70metre vessel with split superstructure down to the watertight deck. A ship gets its longitudinal strength from the box of the hull and its superstructure. In light ship with two heavy ends and a wave beneath the middle would cause the ship to hog i.e middle going upwards and bow and stern downwards. The 120 design is interesting with complex features to meet all Multi-role demands. Some features are asymmetric particularly the main Gun limiting clear range to starboard. A bit of redesign of such fittings would make it quite a ship

Comment

• I would query though, with the Funnel, and presumably the engine room so far forward, you have to deal with a prop shaft that is 2/3 the overall length of the ship. Azipods are mentioned, but should be primary propulsion, not secondary.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                  Of the two ships by FASSMER I would be doubtful about the 70metre vessel with split superstructure down to the watertight deck. A ship gets its longitudinal strength from the box of the hull and its superstructure. In light ship with two heavy ends and a wave beneath the middle would cause the ship to hog i.e middle going upwards and bow and stern downwards. The 120 design is interesting with complex features to meet all Multi-role demands. Some features are asymmetric particularly the main Gun limiting clear range to starboard. A bit of redesign of such fittings would make it quite a ship
                  Not sure how you change the position of the main gun without fouling the helicopter capability though?

Comment

• Two helicopter spots on the F.Dk may be adequate. Landing forward on a ship, facing direction of travel, limits references for the Aircraft pilot and landing facing the bridge requires a positive wind from aft and flying backwards to overcome ships speed. Hairy at night and in most circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Two helicopter spots on the F.Dk may be adequate. Landing forward on a ship, facing direction of travel, limits references for the Aircraft pilot and landing facing the bridge requires a positive wind from aft and flying backwards to overcome ships speed. Hairy at night and in most circumstances.
                      Your right - that is a very risky approach. I don't think that a sensible navy would entertain flight ops underway on the forward flight deck for flight safety reasons unless it is an emergency. More likely that the forward flight deck would be used when the vessel is safely anchored or holding a stable position as part of ship to shore lift. Any day/night approaches would likely be conducted on the aft flight deck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

If you look at the image again you will see it has two aft ramps. One on the corner for loading while docked alongside and one on the centre of the rea for access to the deck well.

Comment

• As with all New Build ships, the offer brochure from FASSMER, is subject to alterations to suit user requirements. In terms of drive in/up ramps the Starboard stern quarter is depicted. The stern door(S), for the stern accessed well ,may be a tilt up door to allow boats in and out. This is a harbour evolution as pitch would limit at sea operations. I am intrigued by the Ramp Doors at the forward end of the F.Dk. and the adjacent crane. I note that the F.Dk. caters for 2 x 11t helicopters or 1 x 20t helicopter. By the way the ADMIRAL RN in charge of Fleet Training ( FOST) has 2 x Dauphins for visiting ships under training. Pity we binned ours.

Comment

• Naval Service Dáil Éireann Debate, Wednesday - 15 September 2021

Marine Advisors have been appointed for EPV/MRV/Eithne 2/Higgins Class Aircraft Carrier

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
                              https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...15/388/#pq_388

Marine Advisors have been appointed for EPV/MRV/Eithne 2/Higgins Class Aircraft Carrier
                              It'll have to be named Síoda now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
                                https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...15/388/#pq_388

AS well as the terse mentioning of Helicopter operations and a freight/personnel transportation I would have mentioned that the vessel be provided with appropriate CIWS necessary for self defence in AOP. Perhaps hangar provisions or not should be included in discussions and advisors might make proposals regarding ship to ship logistic transfers including liquids.

Comment

Working...
                                X