Research Vessel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Vessel

Can anyone tell me the current situation involving the NS and scientific research at sea? Someone mentioned the issue of pollution and environmental control in another post on the subject of a support ship, I know the NS are overstretched enough with the resources they have but is there any current involvement in this area? I'm sure the US and RN have their research vessels and I pursume the Granuaile is our official state research vessel, but are NS personnel ever involved in such a role? Is there even an interest from the INS?
    There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
    Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

The Graineuaile is not involved in any research,she is used as a lights and Buoy tender by Irish Lights. Currently a private company,using former RN research vessels have carried out a cartographical survey of irish waters,the first in about 200 years(I think Capt Cook done the last one-not joking). The RN Research vessels currently serving are used in a practical combat way. In Basra,no accurate charts existed of the port approaches,and as no local pilots were available to the invading force,the RN had to survey the area themselves.
    The question of pollution control is still being considered,as is the need for a deep sea towing vessel.
    The marine institute carries out all other research in irish waters using the vessels Celtic Voyager and Celtic Explorer.
    Click here for more details

Celtic Voyager

Celtic Explorer

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
      The Graineuaile is not involved in any research,she is used as a lights and Buoy tender by Irish Lights. Currently a private company,using former RN research vessels have carried out a cartographical survey of irish waters,the first in about 200 years(I think Capt Cook done the last one-not joking).
      Do you refer to The National Seabed Survey? This is being carried out by GSI (Geological Survey of Ireland) which is not a private company but is under the auspices of the Dept. of Marine. Incidentally the Granuaile is currently involved in this survey along with the Marine Inst. ships. I am familiar with this work, which, as you rightly point out is badly overdue but I was wondering what the NS position is on such research, do they take even an interest and would they be keen to be involved?

Comment

Forgive my patronising remarks. It is unusual to find someone on the naval section who knows a Bow from a Bowline.
        The NS theoretically has Hydrographic survey as one of its many roles,but due to other commitments this role is largely neglected. There was plans in the early 80s to build a Naval research vessel,but along with the second P30 vessel this was cancelled. A certain amount of Naval research is carried out by a civilian group,located on Naval Base,Haulbowline, But I know little more than this(One of its personell was in the Asgard Support Group with me).
        I am not sure about the geological survey being carried out by GSI. I was under the impression that its purpose was to update charts etc,but from what you say it has more to do with future mineral discoveries etc.

Comment

xxxxx
          Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:01.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Two people in Naval section who know what they are talking about....the world must be about to end....
            The other vessels used included the Bligh(Falklands Veteren) and the Siren. Details of the seabed survey fleet can be found here
            Currently Bligh is in Cork Dockyard for repair, having been towed stricken and powerless some months ago.

Comment

xxxxx
              Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:01.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Comment

Sadly not pyschic I'm afraid, I knew the Granuaile was involved lately. I'm actually researching a dissertation on the subject at the moment, or more specifically a particular aspect of the technology being used. I had initially hoped that the NS themselves would have some issues that I could have researched and investigated, it would be great requesting to go on patrol for research purposes, but scientifically the DGPS system has been already well tried and tested over the years. I was really just curious about the reaction of the NS to the whole thing, but what Goldie Fish said about the civilian group operating from Haulbowline sounds promising indeed.

Comment

Goldie, you mentioned the Bligh, is this the sister ship of the Sommerville that seem to be permantly moored in Waterford??

Whats the story with these ships?? I have asked around since it seems strange that 2 such ships should be sitting there for so long.
                  "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

I'm offended....thats the last time I'll post on naval matters.......I'm sulking
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I meant at the same time murf....

And your expertise goes beyond just the Naval section...

Somerville is as far as I know Identical to Bligh,Here is the latter,being towed into Cork dockyard after losing Power off the coast,and the former,tied up at cork dockyard shortly after she was purchased from the RN.
                      Welcome to the most comprehensive portfolio of network, cloud and communications solutions for all your business, IT infrastructure and development needs.

Comment

xxxxx
                        Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:00.

Comment

the somerville and the bligh are radically different as the fwd supersructure on the somerville has been altered somewhat....Now that I've just bought a digital camera should be able to submit a few piccys myself...as soon as I get the hang of it
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                          X