Naval Service Unsung dedicated public servants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Service Unsung dedicated public servants

i just read the article regarding the arrest of the trawler 100=Miles off the west coast.Its got to be cold wet and windy and they are out there day in day out. Well done more PR required so as joe taxpayer can understand and appreciiate the excellent job u are doing.

The Irish Times mentioned that Roisin had carried out the detention. The Examiner also gave credit to the ship and also gave boarding and detention stats for the year. The woman doing "It Says in the Papers" on RTE Radio One this morning only said that the largest trawler in the world "had been detained" without mentioning by whom.
    The Irish Maritime Forum in its submission to the White Paper recommended, inter alia, that a public relations campaign was needed to boost the profile of the navy, including a name change to the Irish Navy or Cabhlach na h-Éireann.

Comment

Wasn't this "largest trawler in the world" previously Irish flagged as the Atlantic Dawn?
      Yes indeed , out of Killybegs and if memory serves me correctly I think it was also detained then. It was built for an Irish owner originally but spent most of its time fishing of th West African coast as the quotas here were too low to allow it to be 'economically viable'.

the Veronica was another one of the biggies from around the same time.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

On a number of occasions in the 70s factory ships were taken on (including up to 40mm I think)

Comment

According to the Indo it is the former Atlantic Dawn that had been detained

Comment

On a number of occasions in the 70s factory ships were taken on (including up to 40mm I think)
            Nope
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Nope
              I seem to remember a russian factory ship , several times larger than the mine sweepers being arrested in 77 , I think JJ was the capt. in that incident I think the 20mm was fired at the bow ( pointy bit) of the trawler/ ship.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Nope
                20mm definitely was

Comment

And it was a twin mounted Orlikon on the sweepers .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

20mm definitely was

Yep...

but you said 40mm bofors originally

I seem to remember a russian factory ship , several times larger than the mine sweepers being arrested in 77 , I think JJ was the capt. in that incident I think the 20mm was fired at the bow ( pointy bit) of the trawler/ ship.
                    As were the corvettes involved in shots fired against Russians,

Topic done unto death in another thread and some still can't get it right.

Always wanted to say this

use the Search Function!

Comment

I said I think

Comment

I said I think
                        Don't think

Use the search function

Comment

Hptmurphy.

One for you. In the seventies, did one of the sweepers come across a Polish warship sheltering in a west coast bay that refused to id it'self. ????

Comment

One for you. In the seventies, did one of the sweepers come across a Polish warship sheltering in a west coast bay that refused to id it'self. ????
                            I don't have access to ships logs of the time, my writings are based on published histories of the service and personal recollection.

However I would suggest there often incidents where foreign warships / aircraft were encountered in Irish waters/ airspace that went undocumented. I did witness several events of this nature,

Foreign warships are obliged to identify them selves when challenged. 'AA' being the internationaly flag or semaphore signal for this request.

I will offer that I was on the bridge of a ship that was challenged by an RN Helicopter while transiting past the coast of Northen Ireland, the incident went undocument as the Officer commandings response was less that courteous.
                            Last edited by hptmurphy; 25 November 2013, 12:11.

Comment

Working...
                            X