No announcement yet.

Submarines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we can shoot Russian trawlers, but not Russian submarines?

Remember back in the eighties when Sweden had regular incursions and used to depth charge the guys?
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Yes to both.
      If you see a russian or any submarine passing through irish waters,feel free to fire on it and see what reaction you get. Its a bit like the difference between Charlie Haughey and Martin Ferris...Both Gun Runners....only one found himself on the wrong end of an FN. A better analogy is that of a "white collar" criminal,who steals millions from a pension fund, and the drug addict who steals a pensioners purse....Who gets treated harsher by the legal system?
      I dont remember any incident where a sub was damaged by such actions.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

well,

Out in skerries on a summers evening, you can actually sit and watch the periscopes of submarines popping up and down in the water just off the coast.

I have never seen them being trailed by an irish naval vessel, and im sure our shoreline extends into the irish sea by MORE than a mile or two... also back in the 70s or early 80s my dad was out walking his dog on the beach between gormanston and balbriggan and he found an unexploded torpedo, i kid you not, the army bomb disposal unit took care of it!!

but this is getting away from the point of the thread, we dont need a submarine, we need more patrol craft, we have too much see and not enough vessels, they
        need 3 or four more of LE Niamhs class AT A MINIMUM, and a modern heli carrying vessel with a properly trained 24 hour PURELY SAR AIR element capability with something more up to date than the bloody dauphins and not multi-tasaked beyond use, or wrongly equipped either with definitely 2 engines that individually can keep the damn thing in the air.
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Out in skerries on a summers evening, you can actually sit and watch the periscopes of submarines popping up and down in the water just off the coast

Or it could be seals or a school of harbour porpoises ... but a nuclear submarine operating close to land is much more likely (!).

Comment

i was up on Barnageera, thats about 150 - 200ft above sea level, its a cliff,
            I was using binoculars, i saw a periscope, so did my mates. I subsequently heard that theres a deep sea trench in the irish sea used by various countries submarines for training purposes, and that it was not unusual to see glimpses of submarines periscopes off the fingal coast.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Eithne has sonar.

It would be higly unusual for Subs to operate close inshore unless thay absolutely have to be, theres a serious risk of fouling in passive fishing gear (drift nets, gill nets) let alone the possibility of being spotted.

Interesting.

Comment

Back in the good old days, it was quite common to spot USN subs operating on the surface off the Northern coast (come out of Rathmullan, hang a right!)

They used to surface before heading into the bub base in Rosyth. In fact, a certain situation arose wheereby a USN sub was heading in, being watched by a Soviet trawler, which in turn was being monitored by an RN warship. In the midst of all this came the pride of the NS fleet at the time, which is now enjoying retirement in the Med somewhere.

Anyone who seriously thinks we should open fire on one of these monsters should go away to a dark room, and have a quiet lie down. The sub was a wee bit longer than P20, with a lot less rolling! And when she decided she had enough time "playing" she just opened up and took off.

Now, can we put this sub business to bed?

Comment

Back in 197?, I thought I saw a periscope off off Sandycove, county Dublin, being of a rational mind I dismissed it as some trick of the light as I thought it was too close on shore.
                  Now I am not so sure.............................
                  :D
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I never said we needed a bloody sub ok
                    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

I saw a submarine on the surface a few years ago passing south by Killiney Bay (Dublin).

Comment

I saw one in the River Barrow in Portarlington, or at least I thought I did, I was somewhat confused at the time.

Comment

I thought we had 3 subs --the Maca,Cliona and the Meabh.According to reports they spent at least half their time submerged.In fact one of them was nearly sunk by a debth charge---I kid you not--right Goldie.

Comment

Although it may be Naval folklore, I have never heard about it. What is this about a NS ship opening fire on foreign fishing boats? Has there been any other times throughout its history, that the NS opened fire on other vessels?

Comment

One of the Corvettes(Macha, Maev or Cliona) was indeed almost sunk by a depth charge,launched by itself...The heroic actions of some of the crew that day saved the ship,and the media who were on board at the time. It was nothing short of a miracle that we didnt lose one of the ships in the 60s,given the condition of them when they were finally withdrawn from service.

4th ND: Details of the NS firing on other vessels is mentioned in detail elsewhere.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                                One of the Corvettes(Macha, Maev or Cliona) was indeed almost sunk by a depth charge,launched by itself...The heroic actions of some of the crew that day saved the ship,and the media who were on board at the time. It was nothing short of a miracle that we didnt lose one of the ships in the 60s,given the condition of them when they were finally withdrawn from service.

4th ND: Details of the NS firing on other vessels is mentioned in detail elsewhere.
                                There were vessels in the Naval Service that were equipped with a hedgehog rather than depth charges; were these the corvettes or other ships do you know?

Comment

Working...
                                X