Come in P22, your time is up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come in P22, your time is up.

So went the call for those of us who were familiar with renting row-boats or paddle boats on the seaside in Tramore and other places.

The same call has gone out to L.E. Aoife, P22, presently the oldest ship of the fleet.

L.E. Aoife (P22) the Naval Service's oldest OPV unit has finally been given a timeframe for its disposal by public auction (if not previously sold) in February 2015, writes Jehan Ashmore.

According to Cork based auctioneers, Dominic J. Daly, they have been instructed by the Department of Defence to dispose of the offshore patrol vessel which entered service in November 1979. She was built at Verolme Cork Dockyard as the second of a trio of 'Emer' class sisters.

As previously reported on Afloat.ie, the OPV was originally scheduled to be disposed of last October, a year after the sale by auction of L.E. Emer to Nigerian interests.

The delay on disposal as previously reported on Afloat.ie hinged on the progress in constructing her replacement the newbuild OPV 90 class James Joyce which in recent days was floated-out at Babcock Marine's shipyard in Devon.

Viewings of the L.E. Aoife can be made strictly by appointment only by contacting the auctioneer on 087 2550486 and for more info click HERE.

The newbuild OPV90 class James Joyce is expected to be delivered to the Naval Service in early 2015

One hopes it will end better than her predecessors. Deirdre recently broken up after a failed conversion attempt. Emer after a lingering refit in cork, now under arrest in Nigeria as the owner didn't have the proper permits to import a military vessel.
    Last edited by na grohmiti; 26 November 2014, 21:34.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Just cut her up, without the media bullshit.

She's done her time, 3/4 generations served.

Can't be effectively preserved, as history in the UK has shown

I prefer to know that the cutters made short work of her as opposed to seeing her saga dragged out in some back water rotting to death.

Fine ships treat them as thoroughbreds, grant them swift passage.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Is there a need for an artificial reef in our waters? Take her there & sink her by gunfire; a Viking funeral.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

who'd foot the bill for cleaning the asbestos off it?

Comment

The Asbestos is definitely gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
            Is there a need for an artificial reef in our waters? Take her there & sink her by gunfire; a Viking funeral.
            There probably would be but who would buy it (for what price) and run it (so they can get sued if/when something goes wrong?

Comment

Bring her out into the EEZ

A Sink ex Party

Aircorps PC9s FFARs and 50 cals
              AW139 7.62
              Possibly an artillery battery of 105s
              Army Javelins off the deck of one of the naval vessels
              finally 76 OTO and then let the naval divers detonate a few hull placed explosives
              Last edited by morpheus; 28 November 2014, 11:43.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                Bring her out into the EEZ

A Sink ex Party

Aircorps PC9s FFARs and 50 cals
                AW139 7.62
                Possibly an artillery battery of M119 105s
                Army Javelins off the deck of one of the naval vessels
                finally 76 OTO and then let the naval divers detonate a few hull placed explosives
                Yee Hawww

Comment

Anchor her in a suitable spot, open the engine coolent intake, blow a hole in the front Kort nozzel, down she goes , no drama....local ex-marine engineer said, since the biggest thing I have sailed is a raceing dingy, I'm taking his word for it....
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                    Anchor her in a suitable spot, open the engine coolent intake, blow a hole in the front Kort nozzel, down she goes , no drama....local ex-marine engineer said, since the biggest thing I have sailed is a raceing dingy, I'm taking his word for it....
                    Yep - but where's the fun in that ? I'm with Morpheus - mad minute on steroids !
                    “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                    ― Thucydides

Comment

He hasn't a clue what he is talking about either so.... :P

Comment

May need to remove all oils and other contaminants first, before doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          He hasn't a clue what he is talking about either so.... :P
                          Enlighten us so.....
                          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You won't get a Kort nozzle up front. By its nature it lives aft. Also, vessels of this type do not have one as Aoife is not a tug.
                            The Engine coolant intake is always open. Its a closed circuit. Water is pumped in, cools the engine, and is pumped out again when it is hot.... This only applies to outboard engines though. Larger ships use this heated water for other heating needs, but one thing is certain. If you leave the coolant intake open nothing will happen.
                            Its a bit like saying your engine will get flooded because you left the cap off the radiator.....

He hasn't a clue. Or he may be taking the piss out of a self confessed land-lubber.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              Its a closed circuit. Water is pumped in, cools the engine, and is pumped out again when it is hot....
                              Sounds like an open system to me, if it's taking in water from the sea :P

Comment

Working...
                              X