This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Cause they don’t need replacement yet and aren’t as limited in the seas they can weather as the P41/42 (who do need replacement)
    Worth remembering also that at present, no EPC exists in OPV form or any other form. We won't see a prototype until 2027 at the earliest. What's currently on paper for the EPC will not enter production, so all the pretty images available on the web of the EPC are just that. Imaginings. The Photo of a OPV size warship normally associated with EPC is of the Abu Dhabi class by Fincanteir built in 2013, and is much smaller than the expected EPC dimensions.

Comment

Cause they don’t need replacement yet and aren’t as limited in the seas they can weather as the P41/42 (who do need replacement)
      You misunderstand. My suggestion is to replace P41/2 with P51/2. And also this is not meant to be the EPV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post

You misunderstand. My suggestion is to replace P41/2 with P51/2. And also this is not meant to be the EPV.
        The P50s couldn't do the jobs the P40s currently do, not because of size but because they don't loiter well. Not sure if the Mid Life refit has fixed this but they always ran hot at slow speeds, and were at their best closer to cruising speed. The Larger P60s are actually better in confined waters at slow speed, due to their propulsion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post

It’s an option but there are better ones

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

The P50s couldn't do the jobs the P40s currently do, not because of size but because they don't loiter well. Not sure if the Mid Life refit has fixed this but they always ran hot at slow speeds, and were at their best closer to cruising speed. The Larger P60s are actually better in confined waters at slow speed, due to their propulsion.
            P60s have PTI system which allows the main engines to be shut down, and the props to be turned at slow speeds by electrical power which is provided by the generators.

P50s have main engines only which as you correctly say do not react well to slow speeds for long duration.

Not possible to add in PTI afterwards really.

P40s have electrial loiter drive (schottle drive) to allow for slow speed operation up to 5 or 6 knts.

Comment

• As far as patrolling or observing areas any class of vessel with 3.5m draft or less can do it for coping with activities of Fishing vessels.. Slowing running features are agreed with Engine manufacturers and can be implemented prescriptively, such as after an agreed time slow running you do a high speed run to clear particulate. All our ships, at all times are "smoky" and are a feature of Bideford production. I would not limit or compartmentalise the capability of P50's for normal patrol duties vis a vis P40's. Is our new HADR orientated vessel to be EPC or MRV?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                Is our new HADR orientated vessel to be EPC or MRV?
                The MRV

Ireland getting involved in EPC is just a proposal on IMO

Comment

As far as patrolling or observing areas any class of vessel with 3.5m draft or less can do it for coping with activities of Fishing vessels.. Slowing running features are agreed with Engine manufacturers and can be implemented prescriptively, such as after an agreed time slow running you do a high speed run to clear particulate. All our ships, at all times are "smoky" and are a feature of Bideford production. I would not limit or compartmentalise the capability of P50's for normal patrol duties vis a vis P40's. Is our new HADR orientated vessel to be EPC or MRV?
                  MRV for now. EPC so far was a proposal put forward by a serving commander to the CoDF. It is logical, but a few years down the road yet.

Comment

MRV for now. EPC so far was a proposal put forward by a serving commander to the CoDF. It is logical, but a few years down the road yet.
                    Do you remember the submission number by any chance?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post

Do you remember the submission number by any chance?
                      100 I think.

Comment

The MRV

Ireland getting involved in EPC is just a proposal on IMO
                        As well as MRV the EPC would bring us back to our 1949-1972 capability. We should pursue it through PESCO and other mutual forums to include funding and Training. Though NOT to exclude some add on capabilities to the P60 series.

Comment

As well as MRV the EPC would bring us back to our 1949-1972 capability. We should pursue it through PESCO and other mutual forums to include funding and Training. Though NOT to exclude some add on capabilities to the P60 series.
                          Sir,
                          I have sent you a private message, you might have a look and let me know your thoughts.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Sir,
                            I have sent you a private message, you might have a look and let me know your thoughts.
                            Thank you.
                            Thanks for your considerations. NOT a history follower . VMT.

Comment

Thanks for your considerations. NOT a history follower . VMT.
                              Duly noted. Many Thanks.

Comment

• What about this? https://www.fassmer.de/fileadmin/use...CPV_50_web.pdf or probably https://www.fassmer.de/fileadmin/use...OPV_50_web.pdf
                                Last edited by Graylion; 15 September 2021, 18:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X