Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPV Replacement

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post



    A bit of a squeeze, and the mooring pins/bits are probably in the way.
    Or anywhere to store divers kit, UUVs etc?

    reason being the WP2015 recommended the replacement of the Peacocks with vessels with a counter-mine/C-IED capability and from CODF LOA2:

    “Establishment of an underwater survey and mine counter measure capability to secure
    access to vital Irish ports“

    Comment


    • Reminder of what Peacock Accomodiation is like in post 1165 (is it 11 junior ratings berths in 1 cabin?)

      versus Lake class IPV (2 junior ratings berth in 1 cabin)
      https://youtu.be/SuJ46RH1GuE

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DeV View Post

        Or anywhere to store divers kit, UUVs etc?

        reason being the WP2015 recommended the replacement of the Peacocks with vessels with a counter-mine/C-IED capability and from CODF LOA2:

        “Establishment of an underwater survey and mine counter measure capability to secure
        access to vital Irish ports“
        IPV purchase was done ahead of the CoDF. I guess this gets put on the long finger as a result

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post

          IPV purchase was done ahead of the CoDF. I guess this gets put on the long finger as a result
          Muted…. Only agreed in last few days

          Comment


          • This is not that ship. This is to keep 2 hulls in the water while we decide how we are going to Police the Irish Sea. The IPV are an interim ship to replace immediately the loss of 2 hulls (Peacocks) without committing to a costly tendering design and build process which based on recent history would not see a replacement for at least 5 years. The reduced crew allows you to get hulls available ASAP (next spring) to train the recruits that are required to get the NS up to the strength it should be. If DPER DOD etc, get the finger out and sort out pay and conditions etc, and the current recruitment drive reaps the benefit of the work being put in, you have to have ships to train people on, once they come out of recruit training. Showing them a rusty, but not sinking 40 year old museum piece in the basin, and promising a new ship is coming within 5 years does not train naval crew. You can't stick them all on one of the still functioning ships either and hope for the best.
            One of the NS submissions to the CoDF (360) laid out the plan quite well. It is unfortunate that DFHQ and DoD have not got the message out.
            I believe the C-IED capability will be the P50 replacement, which will be due at the end of this decade, sadly. The technology being put together for the Belgian/NS MCMV might be matured by then, the French are also holding off to wait & see.
            The problem is the replacement program stalled. We are catching up, but the staffing issues are separate and must not be let impact on keeping modern ships available for duty
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
              This is not that ship. This is to keep 2 hulls in the water while we decide how we are going to Police the Irish Sea. The IPV are an interim ship to replace immediately the loss of 2 hulls (Peacocks) without committing to a costly tendering design and build process which based on recent history would not see a replacement for at least 5 years. The reduced crew allows you to get hulls available ASAP (next spring) to train the recruits that are required to get the NS up to the strength it should be. If DPER DOD etc, get the finger out and sort out pay and conditions etc, and the current recruitment drive reaps the benefit of the work being put in, you have to have ships to train people on, once they come out of recruit training. Showing them a rusty, but not sinking 40 year old museum piece in the basin, and promising a new ship is coming within 5 years does not train naval crew. You can't stick them all on one of the still functioning ships either and hope for the best.
              One of the NS submissions to the CoDF (360) laid out the plan quite well. It is unfortunate that DFHQ and DoD have not got the message out.
              I believe the C-IED capability will be the P50 replacement, which will be due at the end of this decade, sadly. The technology being put together for the Belgian/NS MCMV might be matured by then, the French are also holding off to wait & see.
              The problem is the replacement program stalled. We are catching up, but the staffing issues are separate and must not be let impact on keeping modern ships available for duty
              Does anyone have this submission on hand?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Chico View Post

                Does anyone have this submission on hand?
                gov.ie - Public Consultation: Commission on the Defence Forces (www.gov.ie)
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                Comment


                • This is excellent, thanks for sharing

                  Comment


                  • Babcock NZ have the IPV regeneration contract for the Naval Service.

                    Babcock and NZDF partnership to deliver $15 million injection into NZ economy

                    ​​​​​​By APDR Staff -17/03/2022

                    Local New Zealand businesses are set to reap the benefits of a partnership between Babcock and the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) which will conduct maintenance and upgrade works on two decommissioned Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Inshore Patrol Vessels before they are sold to the Republic of Ireland.

                    Babcock and NZDF will regenerate and modify the ships – ex HMNZS Rotoiti and HMNZS Pukaki – to operational seaworthiness standards, supported by Babcock’s extensive supply chain across the New Zealand marine and defence industry.

                    Babcock Australasia Managing Director Defence, Andy Davis, said: “We will partner with up to 30 local businesses to deliver this project, through a range of contracts with a total value of approximately NZ$15 million. “Our trusted suppliers and subcontractors are a key part of our capability and they will play a critical role on this project as another great demonstration of what New Zealand industry can achieve together. This work demonstrates how the NZDF and Babcock partnership is focussed on building long term collaborative relationships with New Zealand businesses. This will continue to deliver broader economic outcomes and provide increasing access to government defence work for these supporting businesses.”

                    The scope of works will include overhaul of main and auxiliary engines, docking of both vessels for hull preservation, propeller and rudder overhaul, inspection, service, and commissioning of all electric, mechanical, hydraulic and communication systems, required to return the vessels to Lloyds Class. Additional activities include modifying the vessels so they are compatible with the equipment fit of the current Irish Naval fleet.

                    Built in Whangārei and commissioned into the Royal New Zealand Navy in 2009, during their service the two Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPVs) have been deployed on search and rescue, fishery monitoring, border security and maritime surveillance operations around New Zealand’s 15,000km coastline. Babcock has a history of working with the Irish Naval Service, having built the P60 Samuel Beckett Class of Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs).

                    ​​​​​​https://asiapacificdefencereporter.c...to-nz-economy/

                    Comment


                    • Ref the C-IED requirement

                      this is some of the NSDS equipment on board LE GBS


                      https://twitter.com/naval_service/st...516169224?s=21

                      Comment


                      • Babcock and NZDF partnership to deliver $15M injection into NZ economy | Babcock Australasia
                        I wonder will the Rib & Davits be retained, or replaced with the Caley system in use in the rest of the fleet? (Also seen on RAN vessels).
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                        Comment


                        • Collection of €22m navy ships from New Zealand thwarted by lack of personnel (irishexaminer.com)

                          Someone feeding Mr O'Riordan Non-Stories to cause dissent with those who don't know better.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                          Comment


                          • I was just thinking that it would be a little ridiculous to make 40-odd crew half circumnavigate the globe

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              Collection of €22m navy ships from New Zealand thwarted by lack of personnel (irishexaminer.com)

                              Someone feeding Mr O'Riordan Non-Stories to cause dissent with those who don't know better.
                              Given that even the USN ships some of its ships be sealift at times (and not just the broken ones) yeah it is a bit of a non story, though I had missed the bit where New Zealand are paying for the reinstatement works.

                              Comment


                              • Something to keep in mind , Irish Ferries W B Yeats on her crossing to Cherbourg had her upper car deck door damaged in heavy seas recently causing her to return to Dublin , it happened in the Irish Sea .
                                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X