Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proposed New GDR/DPM

    Due to go on trial this year.

    Will cover all types of duties in the NS.

    When on general issue, the only time green DPM will be worn is on a Land Overseas Deployment.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DPM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	699715



    Click image for larger version

Name:	DPM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	699715

  • #2
    Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
      Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?
      So that journalists can recognise them as 'not Army'. This is critical deconfliction for budgetary purposes...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?
        They don't. This is a vanity project driven by the NS desire for "Corporate Identity".All they will blend in with is the sea if they fall overboard.
        Lets look at this further.The US navy recently got rid of their proprietary blue/black camo pattern ,derisively referred to as "Blue Bottles" in favour of a green type camo pattern.
        The Royal Navy introduced Naval PCS. A navy blue version of the British Army Personal Clothing System Jacket/Shirt and trousers.
        Those are just two examples of International best practice.Unless you count the Aussies Naval DPM with Reflective stripes on each sleeve(Why bother having Camo in the first place)

        No.There is no tactical or operational reason this abomination of a uniform should exist.It is merely so the NS can stand out from other services who wear navy blue uniforms.
        Now.To be fair the NS uniform badly needed updating but for my tuppence worth this is the route they should go.
        1/ Flame resistant (The new naval DPM has this so strike 1 )
        2/ Better pocket layout(Nope.They just copied the S***ty pocket layout on the shirt that the minority in the DF have foisted upon the majority of the DF.Thanks ladies)
        3/ Solid colour. (Like, I dunno,Navy???)

        Of course the NS hierarchy who dreamt this up have forgotten one massive detail. To issue out a totally new uniform at this time is going to be a Mahooooosive own goal in terms of PR.The NS can't afford to build proper accomodation alongside for it sailors or to pay them enough to stick around to crew the ships that haven't been laid up for "maintenance" but yet they have money to waste on uniforms that are not needed?

        Yup.Priorities straight there.
        Last edited by apod; 11 August 2019, 18:56.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
          Due to go on trial this year.

          Will cover all types of duties in the NS.

          When on general issue, the only time green DPM will be worn is on a Land Overseas Deployment.

          [ATTACH]8680[/ATTACH]



          [ATTACH]8680[/ATTACH]
          Did someone take a trip to Camden Market when they were docked in London for St Patrick's day?
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
            Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?
            Me neither , I've known many in the Navy who could hide onboard a ship and not be found for days and that was without camouflage .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

            Comment


            • #7
              What headgear will be worn with this?
              There was an opportunity to reintroduce a baseball cap, instead of continuing the ambiguity around the NS beret, some of whom carry the correct ns cap badge, some which carry the larger army one, some officers ones which have a smaller embroidered cap badge than others.
              Or, worst case scenario, is there a naval version bush hat?
              Also, sleeves up or down?

              Comment


              • #8
                AFAIK headress wil be Berets.
                And so we know what to call it the proper title(No NOT slugcam) is Naval Service Variant Disruptive Pattern Material or NSV-DPM.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Another missed opportunity so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Surely there must be some loss of economy in numbers of DPM uniforms procured here.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That is one bad looking uniform.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I like it, should subdue the Flag too though.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would stick with the GDR.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by apod View Post
                            They don't. This is a vanity project driven by the NS desire for "Corporate Identity".All they will blend in with is the sea if they fall overboard.
                            Lets look at this further.The US navy recently got rid of their proprietary blue/black camo pattern ,derisively referred to as "Blue Bottles" in favour of a green type camo pattern.
                            The Royal Navy introduced Naval PCS. A navy blue version of the British Army Personal Clothing System Jacket/Shirt and trousers.
                            Those are just two examples of International best practice.Unless you count the Aussies Naval DPM with Reflective stripes on each sleeve(Why bother having Camo in the first place)

                            No.There is no tactical or operational reason this abomination of a uniform should exist.It is merely so the NS can stand out from other services who wear navy blue uniforms.
                            Now.To be fair the NS uniform badly needed updating but for my tuppence worth this is the route they should go.
                            1/ Flame resistant (The new naval DPM has this so strike 1 )
                            2/ Better pocket layout(Nope.They just copied the S***ty pocket layout on the shirt that the minority in the DF have foisted upon the majority of the DF.Thanks ladies)
                            3/ Solid colour. (Like, I dunno,Navy???)

                            Of course the NS hierarchy who dreamt this up have forgotten one massive detail. To issue out a totally new uniform at this time is going to be a Mahooooosive own goal in terms of PR.The NS can't afford to build proper accomodation alongside for it sailors or to pay them enough to stick around to crew the ships that haven't been laid up for "maintenance" but yet they have money to waste on uniforms that are not needed?

                            Yup.Priorities straight there.
                            The problems you mention are not of the making of the Naval Service. It is a DoD problem. Look around your own location.
                            The fact that the NS chose to make public their shortcomings may in the long term be of benefit to the entire DF. If nothing else it got the general public on its side.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Economies of scale - give it to AGS as well...
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X