No announcement yet.

Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RN are issued one these for wear under the PCS "Lightweight Jacket".

Kinda like a Norgie but without the roll down collar.Longer at the back and with thumb holes. Similar to our old Arktis style Norgie shirt.
    Their dress regs also allow it to be worn without a jacket while working but the jacket must be close by for firefighting.

I dunno was this option considered for our squids? Perhaps it was discounted because of its Polyester content?
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      The RN are issued one these for wear under the PCS "Lightweight Jacket".

Kinda like a Norgie but without the roll down collar.Longer at the back and with thumb holes. Similar to our old Arktis style Norgie shirt.
      Their dress regs also allow it to be worn without a jacket while working but the jacket must be close by for firefighting.

I dunno was this option considered for our squids? Perhaps it was discounted because of its Polyester content?
      Possibly but how do RN justify it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        The idea of the FCA being issued just with number 1s was a straightforward thing. Originally there was no combat dress, just a combat jacket and trousers, these were worn instead of tunic and number 1 trousers. Closed top button and tie was still part of this uniform. The FCA had just changed from bullswool, to what was known at the time as "bumfreezer" tunic. Same pattern as bullswool, but of material closer to that found on current tunic. Pdf had the current pattern tunic. The FCA only got this pattern tunic, with maroon epaulettes, and a green beret so we would all know our place, in the early 80s. Most duties were done in a variation of number one dress. You'll find many action shots from the early 70s and 80s of people driving apc wearing shirt and tie. Only officers got a pullover issued. Various green wn purchase pullover were permitted, unofficially.Green overalls were provided for messy work. I have an old photo from a potential officer course in 1988 where the honour guard are all carrying 303 rifles, wearing green overalls over beige shirt. That's how it was up to the mid 80s. Working dress came in to give the pdf something between combats and number 1s for normal duties. The FCA only got this in 1992. I remember in the 80s nobody was allowed wear combats within certain barracks unless going to or from tactical training. Military police were quite enthusiastic about enforcing this rule.
        In summary we all got number ones because we weren't allowed wear anything else.
        My point was issuing everyone (Reservist wise) a set of combats would surely have been a cheaper option than a set of SD NO 1. Remember doing full TOETs for ranges wearing it. Remember another night trudging up to the barracks gate soaked to the b****cks because I was caught in a downpour walking up. Fkn ridiculous situation at the time. Our counterparts across the water - as far as I know - were issuing in the opposite manner at the time
        Last edited by Truck Driver; 27 September 2019, 22:53.
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• I think the old O/G combats were quite a costly bit of kit, compared to SD No1. I do know that the introduction of DPM was a huge cost reduction, per soldier.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Pic 1 is from NS Facebook Page of L.E. James Joyce crew

Pic 2 received from a colleague.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NSDPM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	698279

Name:	70641803_2410146002401615_6808973037744947200_n.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	698280
            Last edited by A/TEL; 28 September 2019, 01:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              My point was issuing everyone (Reservist wise) a set of combats would surely have been a cheaper option than a set of SD NO 1. Remember doing full TOETs for ranges wearing it. Remember another night trudging up to the barracks gate soaked to the b****cks because I was caught in a downpour walking up. Fkn ridiculous situation at the time. Our counterparts across the water - as far as I know - were issuing in the opposite manner at the time
              In 1990, my TA issue in a Field Ambulance was (from memory, so if I miss anything don't shout)

Sausage bag to put it all in (yea, right!)
              DPM jacket x 2
              DPM trousers x 2
              Green shirt x 2
              DMS boots x 2 pair
              Wolly Pully x 1
              OG trousers (x 2 I think)
              Socks x 2 pair
              PT trainers
              Full set of 58 webbing and pack
              S10 respirator
              NBC suit with decontamination gear & gloves
              Tin lid
              Mess Tins & KFS
              Sleeping bag and liner
              Poncho
              Belt
              Beret & badge
              Edit to add: DPM Wet weather gear
              Quilted underjacket and undertrousers, aka Chinese fighting suit

We were "encouraged" to purchase Norgies for exercises from the unit, and unit t-shirts which could be worn for PT, or as a layer under the shirt. At times on "public duties" (we would often do med cover at public events), dress was unit t-shirt and dpm trousers. We wore OG trousers, OG shirt and depending on season or weather, wooly pully and DPM jacket for parade might or in-house training weekends or courses. Combats for range or exercises.

We were also "encouraged" to buy the relevant stable belt to wear with the OG trousers. And after their first night exercise in the field, most sensible people ditched the Pattern 58 sleeping bag and Large Pack and got something suitable from camping /surplus shops. (I had a sofite 9 bag a Karimorr 80L rucksack, later replaced with an US ALICE pack)

There were a stock of No. 2's in the unit, but they certainly werent on general issue, the only people who had them at home were the individuals who were usually called on for the occasions when No 2's were required. As my standard of drill was only adequate, I wasn't one of them.

SNCO's and Officers also had barrack dress, No 2's, Mess Dress and a selection of corps-specific coloured jumpers etc.
              Last edited by Flamingo; 28 September 2019, 16:34.
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• In a strange parallel universe that was the FCA, while nobody was issued combats, by the time you reached 3 star, you all had a set, some Dutch, some US and the lucky ones square pocket Irish second hand ones.
                Army surplus did a great trade in selling us 58 pattern too.
                In addition to overalls, the only combat kit on issue was those stupid steel helmets, first field dressing, and green ponchos.

Comment

In a strange parallel universe that was the FCA, while nobody was issued combats, by the time you reached 3 star, you all had a set, some Dutch, some US and the lucky ones square pocket Irish second hand ones.
                  Army surplus did a great trade in selling us 58 pattern too.
                  In addition to overalls, the only combat kit on issue was those stupid steel helmets, first field dressing, and green ponchos.
                  Yup - that was us in our parallel role as the West Wicklow Militia
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• [QUOTE=A/TEL;470310]Pic 1 is from NS Facebook Page of L.E. James Joyce crew

Pic 2 received from a colleague.

Name:	NSDPM.jpg
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	698279

Much as I still have reservations about the need for a bespoke pattern.The NS version of the Shirt seems to have a few features that the Army could have incorporated into our new one.
                    1/ Concealed buttons on the front closure.

2/ Concealed closure for the pen pocket(velcro?)

3/ "Window frame" style velcro on the UBAC style pocket.Similar to the UKAF Gen 2 PCS.(Easier to roll sleeves,discourages omitting to wear the Blanking panel which has become a scourge in the Army with the UBACS)

4/ Concealed Rank slide tab closure(Velcro?)

5/ Velcro cuffs.

Those features would be good on our shirt which is worn jacket style anyway. My big bug bear is why only one Bicep pocket? It looks totally lopsided.Surely two functioning pockets are better than one? Lower the pen pocket to the lower left sleeve like on the new Smock and Army Waterproofs and replace with a Bicep pocket.Job Jobbed.

The NSV smock has concealed buttons on the lower front pockets.Something we should have done also. I mean why have concealed buttons on the trousers but not the smock?
                    Also the positioning of the Tri-colour following the top edge of the Left sleeve pocket on the NSV Smock looks better than our traditional placement.
                    But why did we stop there? Why not go the whole hog and have velcro panels on the sleeve pockets with the Tri-colour factory stitched to the left blanking panel.

Much handier for laundering and when operating in a multinational environment where you have to wear mission/organisation badges.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Looks Smart, Uniform and soldierlike to me.

Comment

Looks Smart, Uniform and soldierlike to me.
                        Will be interesting to hear the feedback from the trial.

Speaking to someone wearing it last week, they said it is extremely comfortable to wear and very breathable.

Hopefully the black rank markings and nametags will remain instead of proposed grey ones.

Comment

• Remember the first batch of senior rates rank markings made for epaulettes and all the fuss that caused...

Comment

• grand looking..but would like to see after work on deck etc or am I wrong in saying that they don't paint now like we used to back when we had fatigues that were rejected for prisoners...

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                              grand looking..but would like to see after work on deck etc or am I wrong in saying that they don't paint now like we used to back when we had fatigues that were rejected for prisoners...
                              Those WW2 diarrhea coloured ones????
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X