Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    You often seem to have the inside track on kit issue there. Any idea what their plans are for issue to NSR?

Rolling it out in line with the PDF (with a delay) or will the be having us run down the old GDR stocks?

I'm not coming at this from a Walter Mitty "I want to wear the same kit as the PDF" point of few. It's just that going on a patrol as the only one wearing GDR isn't really single force concept...
    NSR will run down the old stock, that was posted on IMO a few months ago. I have tried to find it but no joy yet. My guess not long after. Cant see the navy keeping big stocks of clothing if they are changing.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      If deploying on a land based mission whilst embedded with Army then IP-DPM. If on a Navy led sea based mission then NSV DPM. Oh and dowload the magazine as a PDF. Much clearer pics.

Nope. But I bet I can find out for you.Gimme time.Unless someone in the know now beats me to it.
      I'd appreciate that. Have received no detail whatsoever from my usual sources.

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
      NSR will run down the old stock, that was posted on IMO a few months ago. I have tried to find it but no joy yet. My guess not long after. Cant see the navy keeping big stocks of clothing if they are changing.
      I'd summise that the suggestion of the NSR running down the GDR was a fine way of explaining a use for old stock when pushing the project. Good on paper but not great in practice.

I'm sure once those with decision making power see NSR sticking out in tatty old GDR on the base and ships when everyone else has converted; the stores won't be long opening up. Out of sight and out of mind down in Limerick, Dublin and Waterford.

Comment

• Dont forget cork unit, oh and Galway to. I would be surprised if the navy stores has enough old uniform to get to years end, there has always been shortages, so NSR wont have long to wait is my bet.

Comment

• No NSR in Galway.
          German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
          German 2: Private? I am a general!
          German 1: That is the bad news.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
            Dont forget cork unit, oh and Galway to. I would be surprised if the navy stores has enough old uniform to get to years end, there has always been shortages, so NSR wont have long to wait is my bet.
            No Galway unit and CUNSR are on the base so makes sense they'd move to NDPM first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
              I'd appreciate that. Have received no detail whatsoever from my usual sources.

I'd summise that the suggestion of the NSR running down the GDR was a fine way of explaining a use for old stock when pushing the project. Good on paper but not great in practice.

I'm sure once those with decision making power see NSR sticking out in tatty old GDR on the base and ships when everyone else has converted; the stores won't be long opening up. Out of sight and out of mind down in Limerick, Dublin and Waterford.

Very little of NSR deploying to sea at present due to COVID19, so GDR issued until stock is expired is a no brainer.

Its an expensive issue of kit for parading once a week in fairness.

Issue to NS recruit classes will prob be at latter stage of training too for same reason.
              Last edited by apod; 28 March 2021, 10:33.

Comment

• Confirmed. NSR are getting it.Probably bottom of the list of units to receive it,but they are.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Confirmed. NSR are getting it.Probably bottom of the list of units to receive it,but they are.
                  Appreciate that and thanks for confirming. Makes sense.

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                  Very little of NSR deploying to sea at present due to COVID19, so GDR issue issue until stock is expired is a no brainer.

Its an expensive issue of kit for parading once a week in fairness.

Issue to NS recruit classes will prob be at latter stage of training too for same reason.
                  Can't disagree at all with that. 100% should be bottom of priority list. Sure it can only be issued by going to the base so that means only those on courses or going to sea are likely to get it in the near/medium term. They'll also be the most engaged.

Sure it won't get much use parading once a week either as there won't be an appetite for a GDR/DPM mix until everyone has a set.

Anyway, enough about the NSR. I thought it was a fantastic and informative article. Good to see continued good content in the magazine since it went online.
                  Last edited by Auldsod; 11 March 2021, 08:19.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/naval_service/st...09107799298050

Comment

• Admin Instruction A9 amended to allow its wear.
                      Grey/black Cultaca for the NSR
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• FOCNS Instruction.01 May 2021. Changeover to NSV DPM. Some seagoing units wearing it already.

Comment

• Transition period started since 16 April. Some shore based units wearing it once all members of the unit are fully kitted out.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/naval_service/st...32795014852613
                            The roll-out is complete, and it looks very smart and military, unlike the 40 shades of Navy from the past.

Comment

• No.

Just.

No.

Looks Ridonkulous. Saw it in the flesh last week. Mental looking.(Think US Army UCP or Navy NWU 1)Don't get me wrong.The unIform design has some little features that the rest of the DF should have on our DPMs as standard so BZ to the NS for that. A little jealous of those. But the pattern is just....... Yuck. A Plain Dark navy or even Grey in the new cut/design would have been sooooooooooo much better.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	387691969-22215-Picard-double-facepalm-meme-wh-Tx3k.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	726712

Comment

• How can you not like seaweed camo , it's so "in now" and Gucci .
                                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                                X