No announcement yet.

Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ags already has it's own niche limited edition combat uniform.
    And it isnt what the RSU wear.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Ags already has it's own niche limited edition combat uniform.
      And it isnt what the RSU wear.
      I meant general issue
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

What headgear will be worn with this?
        There was an opportunity to reintroduce a baseball cap, instead of continuing the ambiguity around the NS beret, some of whom carry the correct ns cap badge, some which carry the larger army one, some officers ones which have a smaller embroidered cap badge than others.
        Or, worst case scenario, is there a naval version bush hat?
        Also, sleeves up or down?
        Only one size FF cap badge nowadays for NS O/SEA, A/SEA, LS ranks in the NS - the larger one usually seen on Army berets
        The smaller one has been discontinued
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
          Me neither , I've known many in the Navy who could hide onboard a ship and not be found for days and that was without camouflage .
          Disliked in error

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
            I like it, should subdue the Flag too though.
            Tricolour is hard to subdue. Once it is subdued, it just looks like every other subdued tricolour. Yeah, you have the "IRELAND" part but why bother having the tricolour then?

And it is not like they actually need it to be subdued

Comment

The quest for "Corporate Identity " by wearing this outfit will draw more ridicule than positive Corporate Identity .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

The quest for "Corporate Identity " by wearing this outfit will draw more ridicule than positive Corporate Identity .
                The problem with the current BLUE shirt and BLUE pants is it's lack of identity. It always looked sagged and uncrisp. In a formation of service people, due to varying degrees of wash and wear, it gave the appearance of less than required for being on Parade. It never ever was smart. The DPM proposal was to signal that the wearer is definitely in the PDF MOD: You mean DF, the RDF where DPM too- Green for Army and Blue for Navy. My preference is Bluey Grey with dark Navy disruption in a smaller or finer pattern than that shown. Keep the tricolour and the IRELAND logo. Decent pockets but NOT overlarge. I think the overall benefit is the matching top and bottom.
                Last edited by Bravo20; 13 August 2019, 09:24.

Comment

It needs to be functional (hard wearing, keeps its colour, breathable, flame retardant etc etc) while being smart. But as per the last few versions of DPM no point concentrating on it being smart when it’s not up to the job.

At the end of the day it is for day to day wear

Comment

The problems you mention are not of the making of the Naval Service. It is a DoD problem. Look around your own location.
                    The fact that the NS chose to make public their shortcomings may in the long term be of benefit to the entire DF. If nothing else it got the general public on its side.
                    Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                    Tricolour is hard to subdue. Once it is subdued, it just looks like every other subdued tricolour. Yeah, you have the "IRELAND" part but why bother having the tricolour then?

And it is not like they actually need it to be subdued
                    Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                    The problem with the current BLUE shirt and BLUE pants is it's lack of identity. It always looked sagged and uncrisp. In a formation of service people, due to varying degrees of wash and wear, it gave the appearance of less than required for being on Parade. It never ever was smart. The DPM proposal was to signal that the wearer is definitely in the PDF- Green for Army and Blue for Navy. My preference is Bluey Grey with dark Navy disruption in a smaller or finer pattern than that shown. Keep the tricolour and the IRELAND logo. Decent pockets but NOT overlarge. I think the overall benefit is the matching top and bottom.
                    1/ I never said the problems the DF face were created by the NS.Far from it and yes you are right the recent controversy has given us ammo to use.My point is that the optics of this are terrible. "NS spends X amount on new uniforms while sailors live on ships when alongside etc etc".

2/ Agreed.Yet there are already two different versions of subdued tricolour on issue and not just for "them".Oh and the tricolour on the NSV-DPM was deliberately left hi-viz.

3/ B*****ks. The RN doesn't seem to have that problem.Even this morning I was watching a Sky news interview with a female USN ships Captain. Plain navy uniform with necessary bells and whistle to ID her as USN. Simple. Are you telling me that anyone looking at these Sailors below wouldn't know they were Navy??
                    Attached Files
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Kid's super hero pyjamas , that's what it looks like . Knew it would come to me eventually.
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        It needs to be functional (hard wearing, keeps its colour, breathable, flame retardant etc etc) while being smart. But as per the last few versions of DPM no point concentrating on it being smart when it’s not up to the job.

At the end of the day it is for day to day wear
                        what kind of gear will they wear on deck jobs ..ie painting etc and engine room work,,, that will add to the camo affect,,,

Comment

Kid's super hero pyjamas , that's what it looks like . Knew it would come to me eventually.
                          It took me a while but then I remembered where I saw it before, The Street Fighter movie

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Me neither , I've known many in the Navy who could hide onboard a ship and not be found for days and that was without camouflage .
                            Dislike in error...

Was that not what fan rooms were for ?....hiding and sleeping.. emergency steering flat was my favourite hideout
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              1/ I never said the problems the DF face were created by the NS.Far from it and yes you are right the recent controversy has given us ammo to use.My point is that the optics of this are terrible. "NS spends X amount on new uniforms while sailors live on ships when alongside etc etc".

2/ Agreed.Yet there are already two different versions of subdued tricolour on issue and not just for "them".Oh and the tricolour on the NSV-DPM was deliberately left hi-viz.

3/ B*****ks. The RN doesn't seem to have that problem.Even this morning I was watching a Sky news interview with a female USN ships Captain. Plain navy uniform with necessary bells and whistle to ID her as USN. Simple. Are you telling me that anyone looking at these Sailors below wouldn't know they were Navy??
                              Barracks yourself. If the Irish Navy issue was styled the same as the RN issue with covered button line and pants and shirt with matching blended colour then we probably wouldn't be having this proposal. Blue is a hard colour to survive laundry. Our contracts would never be for matching shirts and pants with shirt complete with Navy and National markings. The RN have been stumbling through various remakes with light shirts and darker pants. They have now gone for a single matched colour yet to be proved to survive constant laundry. What ever we do the working duty dress must be smart and survive the I WOULDN'T BE SEEN DEAD IN THIS even in B*****ks.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                                Only one size FF cap badge nowadays for NS O/SEA, A/SEA, LS ranks in the NS - the larger one usually seen on Army berets
                                The smaller one has been discontinued
                                Which is inherently wrong as the smaller badge was specifically designed for the NS Dress Cap. The larger badge encroaches on the black tally band with the word Eire on it, this should not be the case. To be worn correctly the front of the cap has no to be deformed to get the badge fixed to it without encroaching.

Originally the NS cap badge was cloth to get around this problem. the smaller badge needs to be retained.

Now for the DPM... will overalls be used to engine room and persons painting to keep this kit stain free. Anyone has served at sea will know how easily clothing becomes stained when working in proximity with engines and paint!

Why re invent the wheel when blue / navy working dress has existed as long as the NS, the only issue being the quality.... and if we want to be really pedantic.. the Army pattern OG working dress was actually a copy of the NS gear....

I don't really understand why this gear is needed when the money could be better spent in other areas...…...if they want to spend it on uniforms they badly need to look at the No 1s jacket,,, shapeless, pleats and seams all over the place for something that was originally intended to be worn as a pullover..... and all the collars are too big for the blue jean collars
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X