No announcement yet.

Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the Aer Corps will go with something in grey when their turn comes, to blend with the grey Irish skies .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Ok gents. In these days of echo chambers it seems like you are only seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear and that this is turning into a circular debate with people keeping coming back to not wanting to wear an Army uniform. Despite the fact that NO ONE has advocated that.I'll say that again for the hard of hearing.NO ONE is advocating the NS wears Army Uniform.That clear enough??

Navy people should 100% be recognisible as Navy.But designing and spending(wasting) money on a Camo that is Fcuk all use for blending with anything is a sham. Smacks of every Branch of the Russian Military and Police having their own patterns just because they can. FFS even the Beirut Fire service wears a Camo pattern!!

Plenty of Navies wear plain coloured Uniforms and they are not mistaken for soldiers are they not?? No one confuses the RN with the British Army as an example.Actually I would posit that wearing a weird Camo pattern just confuses people and they will ask why the Army is wearing a new pattern.

Just as an aside will NS recruits be issued with IP-DPM for the Land Tactics part of their training or will the colours Irish Countryside change to blend with the colours of the new rig??
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
        Maybe the Aer Corps will go with something in grey when their turn comes, to blend with the grey Irish skies .
        I get the sarcasm but it's not really the same thing is it seeing as Aircrew tend to stay inside their Aircraft for the most part. Heli crew backseaters excepted perhaps.Who wear Green flight suits with DPM over the top when needed.

Good effort though.Made me chuckle.Really.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Not sure if recruits will instantly get the NSV DPM, or start off with the greens, can tell you though there is no land tactics part of recruits for the navy anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

I get the sarcasm but it's not really the same thing is it seeing as Aircrew tend to stay inside their Aircraft for the most part. Heli crew backseaters excepted perhaps.Who wear Green flight suits with DPM over the top when needed.

Good effort though.Made me chuckle.Really.
            The flights suits used to be blue when the new uniforms came in...
            Vol_58_No_2_Mar_1998.pdf (dfmagazine.ie)
            I understand they went green again once the GASU complained they were being mistaken for Air Corps...
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Ok gents. In these days of echo chambers it seems like you are only seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear and that this is turning into a circular debate with people keeping coming back to not wanting to wear an Army uniform. Despite the fact that NO ONE has advocated that.I'll say that again for the hard of hearing.NO ONE is advocating the NS wears Army Uniform.That clear enough??

Navy people should 100% be recognisible as Navy.But designing and spending(wasting) money on a Camo that is Fcuk all use for blending with anything is a sham. Smacks of every Branch of the Russian Military and Police having their own patterns just because they can. FFS even the Beirut Fire service wears a Camo pattern!!

Plenty of Navies wear plain coloured Uniforms and they are not mistaken for soldiers are they not?? No one confuses the RN with the British Army as an example.Actually I would posit that wearing a weird Camo pattern just confuses people and they will ask why the Army is wearing a new pattern.

Just as an aside will NS recruits be issued with IP-DPM for the Land Tactics part of their training or will the colours Irish Countryside change to blend with the colours of the new rig??
              This battle is a waste of time as the war is over and the navy are dressed. Kites and Red Herrings is for a different game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bilgerat View Post
                Not sure if recruits will instantly get the NSV DPM, or start off with the greens, can tell you though there is no land tactics part of recruits for the navy anymore
                Incorrect. It still remains on the syllabus. POT NCOs course as well for SIA.

Comment

Ok gents. In these days of echo chambers it seems like you are only seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear and that this is turning into a circular debate with people keeping coming back to not wanting to wear an Army uniform. Despite the fact that NO ONE has advocated that.I'll say that again for the hard of hearing.NO ONE is advocating the NS wears Army Uniform.That clear enough??

The money would have been spent in any case regardless of the pattern/colour of the uniform.

As far as any sailor cares, it can be pink in colour as long as its an improvement on what went previously.

You are correct when you say it has nothing to do with concealment, the DPM is a pure branding exercise to identify as part of the DF.

In blue i have been mistaken for a security guard, Lidl worker, Customs official, Coast Guard.

Interestingly enough, the old blue GDR was a working uniform, not an operational one like the green DPM.

The new uniform is now classified as an operational one.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

Incorrect. It still remains on the syllabus. POT NCOs course as well for SIA.
                    All I can say is when I was in recruits, we didn't do it, and we're told it was scrapped, and that many, if not all recruit classes since mine haven't done it. I know the nco course still do it. I do wish we did it.
                    Unless your talking about the week in Kilworth, I'd associate that with getting beasted rather than tactics maybe it's down on the syllabus as tactics? In which case we, and recruit classes still do that
                    Last edited by Bilgerat; 3 May 2021, 21:07.

Comment

• The money would have been spent in any case regardless of the pattern/colour of the uniform.
                      Perhaps that extra money could have been spent on improving the lot of the Ordinary Sailor instead of giving them a Camo Pattern that serves no purpose??

As far as any sailor cares, it can be pink in colour as long as its an improvement on what went previously.
                      LOL. Not even gonna go there with the Navy Cliches even though you just gave us one on a plate.

You are correct when you say it has nothing to do with concealment, the DPM is a pure branding exercise to identify as part of the DF.
                      FINALLY. The most Honest statement so far.Thanks you for admitting it.

In blue i have been mistaken for a security guard, Lidl worker, Customs official, Coast Guard.
                      A Lidl worker?? A Security Guard?? 'Cmon. I would buy Coast Guard but Lidl worker??? A Security Guard?? Where were you wearing your Uniform?? A bit of Inventive branding on the uniform could have solved that though.
                      Interestingly enough, the old blue GDR was a working uniform, not an operational one like the green DPM.

The new uniform is now classified as an operational one.
                      The DF DPM is classed as Field Dress. Neither Working dress or purely Operational. It is both.

Comment

FINALLY. The most Honest statement so far.Thanks you for admitting it.

Cmon Ive been sayin that since I started commenting, even quoted the booklet which stated it clearly. Just mentioned that it could have some use on a ship as it blends with it, not that its the sole reason for it...
                        Ive gotten Lidl worker, tesco worker, security, "whats that uniform for", and when I answer , "oh, really?", even with the flag in plain view...
                        What is the difference between a working dress and an operational one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bilgerat View Post

Cmon Ive been sayin that since I started commenting, even quoted the booklet which stated it clearly. Just mentioned that it could have some use on a ship as it blends with it, not that its the sole reason for it...
                          Ive gotten Lidl worker, tesco worker, security, "whats that uniform for", and when I answer , "oh, really?", even with the flag in plain view...
                          What is the difference between a working dress and an operational one?
                          Working dress to paint ship, scrub decks , climb masts, clean ship spaces and any other "Work". Operational is when in your place of professional duty, boarding operations, duty musters and parades etc. But you know that.

Comment

• Just sayin.....
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Just sayin.....
                              The bosun's are going to hate the new camo kit , how will they ever find someone for that " special job" now ..

Comment

• I hope the gun crews flak jacket and helmet covers change to the new style camo , that Army stuff really looked ridiculous on board ship .If it doesn't change it makes the new kit somewhat redundant .
                                Last edited by Laners; 12 May 2021, 08:39.

Comment

Working...
                                X