Irish trawler 'given order to move on' by Royal Navy frigate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    We should listen, and dunking systems can help. The bigger problem is an integrated response to an identified enemy by fast weapons including torpedoes like the US MK.54 fired by missile, and of course own ship torpedoes capable of dealing with 40 knot targets. OTO Melara have a Milas system for ASW role a variant of their Otomat missile.
    Let’s get the capability to know what is under the surface first

Comment

• The acoustic library is available for matching with your tracked sound and in most cases can identify your detected target by name or type. it needs a weapon system to be plausible possibly using a Ship Launched Light Weight Torpedo with tracking sensor ( acoustic , magnetic , or wire guided )

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        The acoustic library is available for matching with your tracked sound and in most cases can identify your detected target by name or type. it needs a weapon system to be plausible possibly using a Ship Launched Light Weight Torpedo with tracking sensor ( acoustic , magnetic , or wire guided )
        Lightweight (ship, heli, fixed wing launched) being generally relatively short ranged.... eg RN Stingray being around the 10km mark as opposed to the Approx 54km range of the RN sub launched Spearfish.

Comment

• There is also the Swedish 400mm lightweight torpedo, that bridges some of the gap between the above type lightweight torpedoes and heavyweight ones. I think they have in the past had two versions ... Short range big warhead, and longer range small warhead.

The newest version, TS 47 aka Saab's SLWT (from current TS 45) with 10-40+ knot speed, 20km range, (430kg weight), and wire-guided.

Ship and submarine borne, was/ will be helicopter carried also. Ordered by Finland also, for their new and old corvettes, and also intended for Sweden's Visby corvettes.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhingeNot View Post
            There is also the Swedish 400mm lightweight torpedo, that bridges some of the gap between the above type lightweight torpedoes and heavyweight ones. I think they have in the past had two versions ... Short range big warhead, and longer range small warhead.

The newest version, TS 47 aka Saab's SLWT (from current TS 45) with 10-40+ knot speed, 20km range, (430kg weight), and wire-guided.

Ship and submarine borne, was/ will be helicopter carried also. Ordered by Finland also, for their new and old corvettes, and also intended for Sweden's Visby corvettes.
            Up to 20k is fine, it is over the Horizon, and in any event your system has to acquire, classify and identify the target governed by the system detection range which for active sonar is up to 10nm about 20,000 yards.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhingeNot View Post
              There is also the Swedish 400mm lightweight torpedo, that bridges some of the gap between the above type lightweight torpedoes and heavyweight ones. I think they have in the past had two versions ... Short range big warhead, and longer range small warhead.

The SLWT is an interesting weapon especially the capabilities it has due to the wire guidance, the ability to loiter, the ability to abort and recover the torpedo. Also the rechargeable battery is a nice feature as the batteries are one of the most expensive components and being able to reuse it after training is a big advantage.

Comment

• Before we go charging off buying expensive equipment for underwater warfare there is a more mundane job to be done and that is a proper modern survey of what lies below the waves. There are more than 3,500 wrecks registered on the National Monuments Service "Wreck Viewer".

I'm curious regarding the information provided on this site as I can see one vessel named as wrecked at a location but it was removed a few years after ground but still is registered, so how accurate is this information?

With both the Type-26 and Type-31 now pushed back to 2027 the RN will have an operational gap if as planned the first Type-23 leave service in 2023.
                If you get behind with tech and ability you are really behind the curve AM mentions our ASW capability which it itself was WW2 vintage and we haven't had it since the 60s, not something that we have a firm base to upskill from.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  I'm curious regarding the information provided on this site as I can see one vessel named as wrecked at a location but it was removed a few years after ground but still is registered, so how accurate is this information?
                  I was wondering that myself as I looked for the battleship HMS Audacious but it was not to be found. Hopefully someone does have an accurate mapping.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                    I was wondering that myself as I looked for the battleship HMS Audacious but it was not to be found. Hopefully someone does have an accurate mapping.
                    Head North of Tory Island and start at a point 18nm North of Tory at position 55.35N 08.14W and search from there to a point where HMS LIVERPOOL and RMS OLYMPIC released her from tow to sink, while on passage to Lough Swilly.
                    Wrecks are usually forensically recorded by Governments. We have a partial one published by Dept of Heritage Environment and local Government covering coasts of Louth, Meath, Dublin and Wicklow, with more to come.
                    Getting back to the theory that we shouldn't do things we have forgotten to do, or do things we have never done before, is not a proposition for a Navy in the business of Defence etc. Our modus operandi should cover normal Naval duties and we must keep that as our goal, even if not yet achieved. Look at Singapore a City island Navy which since 1997 includes a number of modern Swedish and German submarines, also a range of vessels with strike Missiles. Move with the times and take charge of your seas.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      With both the Type-26 and Type-31 now pushed back to 2027 the RN will have an operational gap if as planned the first Type-23 leave service in 2023. Then again when then all powerful DC finds out how much they cost they could all be going to the breakers yard sooner than we think.
                      And just as I thought, today's "leak" regarding the review
                      ‘You might as well start claiming that you're going to defend Great Britain with a bunch of dugout canoes,’ said a defence industry source

The 26's cut to 3 and the 31's and that's it in this version, with those numbers the Carriers couldn't even have a battlegroup let alone anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        And just as I thought, today's "leak" regarding the review
                        ‘You might as well start claiming that you're going to defend Great Britain with a bunch of dugout canoes,’ said a defence industry source

The 26's cut to 3 and the 31's and that's it in this version, with those numbers the Carriers couldn't even have a battlegroup let alone anything else.
                        So much for their Post Brexit-Rule Britannia plans (East of Aden and the other things they prommised to the RN)
                        Last edited by CTU; 28 August 2020, 07:05.
                        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                          So much for their Post Brexit-Rule Britannia plans (East of Eden and the other thing they prommised)
                          The only East of Eden the RN will manage is hearing the Big Country 80's track on the Coxn's 80s playlist, while shadowing Russian Destroyers in the Channel..
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• RNS

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                              RNS
                              That hurt!

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                                So much for their Post Brexit-Rule Britannia plans (East of Aden and the other things they prommised to the RN)

In fact, in this years BBC Proms Finale it has been decided that the traditional sing-a-long patriotic songs, including RULE BRITANNIA are to be shelved. There is also a ball hop that the Tanks Regts may be ceremonial only ( Chinese and Russians about 5000 each ). One of the CV's to be loaned to the USN. The Seven Seas may be a few short. Large reduction in senior ranks as a one Force Concept is forged. We should tell them it doesn't work as fighting for trucks, planes , ships and buildings out of a unified budget is attrition with bells on.!!

Comment

Working...
                                X