Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P31 Offshore Patrol Vessell , brochure .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P31 Offshore Patrol Vessell , brochure .

It's been in the parents attic all these years .
    Attached Files
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

I have the 2nd image as a print in my (home) office.
    So much has changed from how she was then.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Comment

Some things from the brochure pics changed by the time she was even launched .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
        Some things from the brochure pics changed by the time she was even launched .
        The Mast is the most obvious one to me.

Comment

That liberty boat was a great yoke. Kept you good and dry on a run ashore on a bad night.

Comment

The illustrator had a eye for detail , even got the colour of the of the Foxford blankets right ( and they weren't cheap either)

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
              The illustrator had a eye for detail , even got the colour of the of the Foxford blankets right ( and they weren't cheap either)
              Indeed, the same illustrator that did the brochures for Concorde. The Foxford blankets worked out invaluable on the Centennial trip as they were cut in strips to lag cold water piping which rained condensate water in various parts of the accommodation. I might add most changes were made to fit Ribs only and later to redact all matters related to the operation of helicopters. It all became the shed at the bottom of the garden.

Comment

Something I always wondered from first seeing her on the slipway, but I never heard an answer.
                Why wasn't she bulbous bow? From memory P21, 22, and 23 before her were. The P50s and P60s are, to a certain extent, and not as raked as P31. Did she handle rough seas better as a result?

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  Something I always wondered from first seeing her on the slipway, but I never heard an answer.
                  Why wasn't she bulbous bow? From memory P21, 22, and 23 before her were. The P50s and P60s are, to a certain extent, and not as raked as P31. Did she handle rough seas better as a result?
                  The ship was fitted with Plessy sonar and there was scientific pressure to omit a bulbous bow and a bow thruster opening -all classified as noise makers. We were happy enough with twin screws for manouvering. In the first crews experience pounding and slamming was much less than on the EMER class. If there was a regret , it would be the the lack of a thruster.

Comment

Oerlikons vers Rh202 Rheinmetalls.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Oerlikons vers Rh202 Rheinmetalls.
                      Just noticed that.
                      I wonder what became of the Liberty Boats? I know a few boarding boats remain in civilian hands around the place. It seem they make great boats for lobster pots and suchlike.
                      The Liberty boat just seemed a more suitable craft for going ashore from anchor to pay local respects etc instead of the RHiB.

Comment

The liberty boat was frequently used in places like Bantry and Galway pre 1988... her first time along side was to take on water, one of her major failings, she had enough fuel to go forever but never enough water and the old de salination plant couldn't keep up with the demand, however I digress,, but the boarding boat I only ever saw used once and even then it broke down! The height of the ships boats were always wan issue when lowering underway and the seariders when they were eventually turned the right direction were dar more user friendly to launch especially when lowered to deck level and held fast at the guard rail.

The 'Robinsons disengaging gear' was part of the ABs written exam back in the day and we could all master the drawing, but the actual re assembly of the apparatus after use was something of a mystery to most.

It was the one bit of gear I knew something about as An Slua Muiri had something of a fetish about this kit and it was well drilled into me prior to enlisting.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Those who only know of single point davits and stern launching are missing out.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            The liberty boat was frequently used in places like Bantry and Galway pre 1988... her first time along side was to take on water, one of her major failings, she had enough fuel to go forever but never enough water and the old de salination plant couldn't keep up with the demand, however I digress,, but the boarding boat I only ever saw used once and even then it broke down! The height of the ships boats were always wan issue when lowering underway and the seariders when they were eventually turned the right direction were dar more user friendly to launch especially when lowered to deck level and held fast at the guard rail.

The 'Robinsons disengaging gear' was part of the ABs written exam back in the day and we could all master the drawing, but the actual re assembly of the apparatus after use was something of a mystery to most.

It was the one bit of gear I knew something about as An Slua Muiri had something of a fetish about this kit and it was well drilled into me prior to enlisting.
                            In fact her plant in my day made 10tonne FW a day in clean water areas such as west coast and South coast to Tuskar. She also had an emergency plant that could make sustainable amounts of water for domestic use.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

In fact her plant in my day made 10tonne FW a day in clean water areas such as west coast and South coast to Tuskar. She also had an emergency plant that could make sustainable amounts of water for domestic use.
                              That might have been on paper but in 1988, 10 days out, laundry was Out of bounds and showers were on ration. She set a number of firsts because of water or lack there of, Alongside Rathmullan after 10 days out ...fresh water required, I was required to go down to the pier and act as lines party. Operation Mallard 1987

Squeezing through the lock gates in Galway again to take on fresh water water..I was in the emergency steering flat.

Comment

Working...
                              X