Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Navy

Yes, I know it is nothing to do with our very own dear Naval service

The Russian battle cruiser Peter the Great has been ordered to return to port over safety fears.

Should they decommision all their Soviet Era capital ships? I guess that they could refit them and try to bring them all to western standards, but why? Would they not be better off starting from scratch?

I know their smaller vessels seem to be better designed. They have a thriving export business, and their SSKs are top notch. It's only when they go nuclear do things go, well, nuclear?

-Y
    Meh.

As slightly less alarmist view:

The head of the Russian navy today ordered a nuclear-powered missile cruiser back into dock, warning that the ship was in such a poor state it could explode at any minute.
    Meh.

Comment

Some technical facts on the Kirov Class (Peter The Great).

The Russian heavy missile cruise ship, Project 1144.2 Kirov Class was built by the Baltic Shipyard in Saint Petersburg. The…

The Admiral Nakhimov Kirov battle cruiser
      Last edited by Guest; 24 March 2004, 08:03.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

I see India have bought an old Kiev class Carrier(admiral Gorshkov) and have converted it to a conventional looking carrier.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

They've already done it? I thought that they were in the process and that it looked like it was gonna take forever....

-Y
          Meh.

Comment

I thought they were saying 2008 for the carrier?
            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

India have only just purchased the Gorshkov.Part of the deal includes refit by the Russians, 6 assorted Kamov helicopters and a squadron (16) of carrierborne MiG 29Ks.I dont think they actually bought the ship itself.
              Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Thas what i get for sneaking a free read in easons instead of actually buying the magazine...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well, actually I'll confirm now they didn't buy the ship itself, it was free but they had to have it made seaworthy by the Russian shipyards and have all the kit installed by them.They also had to purchase Russian helicopters and planes to fly from it.

This is the AFM Monthly thread on the "Gorshkov Saga".Its 29 pages long and has 863 posts but it does describe the purchse in detail.Plus it has the Indian and Pakistani board members making the fighting in Kashmir seem trivial.
                  Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Working...
                  X