No announcement yet.

First Irish Revenue Cutter-First Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See post number 6 on this page. The boat with Garda on the front.....(Does anyone read threads these days?)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Farel'
      Why are the Revenue Comissioners going to all the trouble to select this boat,and train suitable crews etc,
      They aren't. Those skills already exist within Customs (I presume they actually outsource the training) as they already have at least three boats.

I can't remember the builder, but they were based in Carrigaline(?).
      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

The Customs NDT have only used RIBs in the past,to my knowledge. Nothing as large as this craft. As mentioned above
        Training will be provided at the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources in Castletownbere in Cork.

Comment

CARA MARINE in Carrigaline built craft for Dorset Police, Harbour Masters etc. but nothing for Irish Revenue.

Comment

New €1.6m vessel boosts custom officers’ fight against drugs

By Sean O’Riordan
            CUSTOMS officers are to have their armoury bolstered in the battle against the drugs trade with the addition of a €1.6 million vessel which will be used to patrol the coast.

The RCC Suirbhéir, which earlier this week underwent sea trials, is due to be formally commissioned on June 28 and will be stationed in Cork.

The 21 metre-long cutter, similar to ones used off the Florida coast by the US Coastguard, was built in Finland and has a range of up to 500 miles.

The all-weather vessel will be manned by a crew of six and its principal area of operations will be within Irish territorial waters.

A spokesman for the Revenue Customs Service said the cutter is being introduced as a further development of its response to the problem of drugs importations via the Irish coastline.

"The vessel will provide us with the ability to provide greater cover by way of patrolling the Irish coastline/EU external frontier. It will allow us to have a highly visible presence in coastal areas and make the service more accessible to the coastal and maritime communities who are important partners in the Customs Drugs Watch Programme," he said.

The introduction of this vessel will allow even greater liaison between the Revenue Customs Service and the Naval Service in their combined efforts against drugs smuggling.

Millions of euros worth of drugs have been seized off the coast of Cork in the past 10 years. Irish drugs barons living in Holland and Spain have in the past organised the landing of drugs along the county's lengthy coastline.

The Naval Service is to provide an officer to accompany customs officers for the first few weeks on active service as they get used to the vessel which is not armed.

Powered by two 820kw engines, RCC Suirbhéir, will have a national remit and will be under the management of the Special Compliance District, South West Region.

"The role of the vessel will be to the patrol and monitoring of internal waters, territorial seas and adjacent waters, aimed at the prevention, detection, interception and seizure of controlled drugs, fiscal goods, and arms," the Revenue Customs Service spokesman said.

She was named following a competition among Revenue staff which attracted over 2,000 entries. The winning suggestion, from Pádraig Dooley from Kilkenny, recalls the former customs service grade of "Surveyor" which was in use for hundreds of years.

The use of the Irish version of the word is in keeping with the tradition of naming all Government vessels in our first language.

Irish Examiner

Comment

I'll try to get a few photos of her if I can as soon as possible.

Comment

Goldie, can you clarify something for me. I know the vessel will not be armed but will the officers on board have any other protection other than lifejackets?...it would be kinda pointless if this vessel would have to wait a few hours for the NS to arrive. Personally I think the RCS should have 2-3 helicopter-borne armed response teams, one in El Paso / Border Area and another in the wild west of the south west

Comment

Its not for me to say what protection is carried by the Customs/Revenue/NDT,even if I knew what weapons they used.

Comment

I seen that new ship on Sky News Ireland, looks great and something the country urgently needs. Are there any plans to get any more?

one guy was nicked for this and he was only a mule caught at the find, everyone else got off. Why the hell did the Gardai not just go through with the transfer of drugs to the trawler and then use Defence Forces assets to take the dam ship?
                    Is that not entrapment ?

Comment

Could this be the beginning of the end for inshore patrolling for the NS?
                      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

How about doing something like turning over all NS inshore assets to law enforcement and make the NS, solely, a blue water navy? Instead of having all these different departments with their own vessels, consolidate all assets in a Coast Guard/Customs/anti Immigration unit or something similar? Unfortunatley having all waterborne assests under one command might be too simplistic for the people in charge of law enforcement:(

Or am I being a bit simple by suggesting it?

I know it got suggested earlier in the thread but is it workable and would it make the INS a happier place since they have one less non navy job to do and fewer groups to have to negotiate with in using its assets?
                        Last edited by ForkTailedDevil; 21 June 2004, 05:37.
                        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Part of the problem is that there are already too many agencies.

The Gardai & Europol regard Ireland as a major inlet of drugs into Europe. As we all know while there have been major successes, these are just a drop in the ocean (so to speak).

The National Drugs Task Force is an attempt to solve the problem of too many agencies but it has not.

Combating drugs coming into Ireland, it is the responsibilty of the Gardai, Customs & Excise, and the NS, to interdict them. Major trans-shipments have been missed because of fighting between the agencies. None of the agencies will publise their informants, information, etc for the other agencies.

At the moment, any member of the NS above the rank of P/O has the right to search any vessel in Irish waters suspected of carrying drugs.

Answer to the problem?
                          Give NS ultimate responsibility for interdiction of drugs at sea?

Comment

Has anyone got a picture of this new cutter? I tried today to see if I could find one on the net, but was unsuccessful.
                            "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

I missed her today as she left Cork harbour,after being tied up at Crosshaven. I was in Kinsale later on,and she was not there..I believe the training is being done in Bantry. Comissioning is on the 28th..but where?

Comment

28/06/2004 - 1:50:37 PM

Customs take drug battle to the seas

The Customs Service is to take its war against drug smugglers to the water for the first time, it emerged today.

A new 23-metre long cutter vessel has been added to the service’s armoury for the first time since the foundation of the State.

The RCC Suirbheir, or Surveyor, which has a top speed of 25 knots or 30 miles per hour, cost €1.6m euro and will be manned by a six-person crew of customs officers.

It was officially named today at the Custom House Quay in Cork.

The service said the vessel was being introduced in response to the problem of drugs importation and other smuggling via the Irish coastline.

Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy said the new ship would be an important tool in the fight against drug dealers.

“I would like to compliment Revenue on its foresight and vision in adding this important piece of infrastructure in its, and the nation’s fight against the scourge of drug trafficking,” he added.

Frank Daly, the Chairman of the Revenue Commissioners, said the boat would prove invaluable in combating smuggling.

“This impressive vessel will play a very important role in ensuring that the environment for drug smugglers who come into our territorial waters and ports becomes increasingly and significantly more difficult,” he added.

The name was reached after Padraig Dooley from Kilkenny won a competition among Revenue staff which attracted over 2,000 entries.

Comment

Working...
                                X