No announcement yet.

L.E.Eithne to Join Royal Navy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next gen of US carriers is supposed to have steamless cats.

As for the RN Carriers I'd say they've given sterling service and after the US are the worlds most viable carrier force. One thing people seem to be ignoring is that by keeping them, they've managed to keep the skills required to maintain a CAW. Plenty of other countries have had carriers, but probably wouldn't be able to go back to them effectivly even if they wanted to.

-Y
    Meh.

Comment

Stokes,
      Ok - i'll bite!

First of all the french Carrier's (that's SINGULAR) much publicised bad performance speaks for itself. Reactor leaks, Screw falling off, Unable to operate E2 effecively and cant launch/recover safely in a sea state above 5 due to lack of free board. The RN Carrier's are battle proven and even when the yanks are calling it a day WRT weather, the Shars are still operational (OK soon to be GR7/9's). I shan't go into the STOVL vs CATOBAR argument because each has it's own advantages & disadvantages. But note this. During the falklands adventure the Argies had a very capable CAG and a reasonably capable carrier. In 1979 my father worked for NATEC (Naval Air Technical Evaluation Centre) Of which part of it's remit was to try and sell Sea Harrier to foriegn navies. The Argentieans took one look at it and decribed it as a toy. In 1982 they decided to rename it 'la muerta negra' (Black Death)

Says it all really.

As for EMALS - I reackon they will have a lot of snags with that - Lots of EMR around A/C loaded with live Ordanance - A recipe for disaster!

Comment

Back on track,the RN are using the event to get the Corporate minions aboard,literally,charging those with more money than sense to view the review from one of the vessels in said review...

average cost £1500 each....

see http://www.t200.co.uk/downloads/T200...lity%20Doc.pdf for more details.

How much will Eithne be charging I wonder?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Anyone got any pics or dits from eithne's pompy run ashore???

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Some shinners(and FF shinners too) were on Joe Duffy today complaining about Irish Sailors being forced to Doff their caps and tug their forelocks to the Queen and the Royal Navy.

Do they not realise that the RN Built our Base,Gave us the Founder of the NS and trained all our officers until recently,and Provided us with most of our warships?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
            X