Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Dillon
    replied
    Whats the biggest boat that can fit through the Ardnacrusha lock gates Goldie? How big are these Aine Lai launches also and do the NSR only have 2 of them?
    Last edited by Eddie Dillon; 29 April 2005, 17:56.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    True,but its typical of the "cut price defence" that suits this government so well. Let them do swabbies work aboard ship,but keep them away from the useful positions such as seaman gunner,watchkeeping officer,mech etc,even when many of the NSR have civilian qualification equivalent,often superior to those they work alongside...

Leave a comment:

• the piper
    Guest replied
    or is it the changing times
    Last edited by Guest; 4 April 2005, 04:07.

Leave a comment:

• the piper
    Guest replied
    hi all if you ask me NSR is about the trainees doing patrols as its worth more money to them than cruising cork harbour in the gp,s and montigue whaler ha ha the youth of today ,,, hey im in navy and have seen weather that was so bad we couldnt take photos ARRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by Guest; 4 April 2005, 04:06.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Some nice pictures of the Lock in operation. Some say its the closest one can get to being lowered into your own grave...

Leave a comment:

• ELVIS
    replied
    There are lough gates at the side of the power station. You enter one at the bottom of the river which then floods bringing you half way up, then you do the same thing again in another lough. Brings you up the whole way. Its interesting enough to be inside when its filling up but it takes about an hour, can lose patients after a while..(start revving the SR's engines continuously)
    Last edited by ELVIS; 12 April 2005, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    We were hoping to join you on it,but then GWB decided to visit and upset our plans...

Leave a comment:

• ELVIS
    replied
    Oh sorry. Barbara Heck is still used for training purposes. Last year we brought her and two sea-riders up the shannon, through the canal and up to lough Derg as part of an introduction course. Very interesting I must say, just thought I'd mention it.
    Dont know about Aine Laoi, I think she's still goin(after the Divers sunk her of course). Very fast boat anyway. Cant really verify whether other companies motor launches are still in use to be honest. I presume so..
    Last edited by ELVIS; 4 April 2005, 01:55.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    What about Barbra Heck,Aine Laoi, and the other Motor Launches? Are they still in use?

Leave a comment:

• ELVIS
    replied
    I have to say I dont fully understand your question Goldie but to sum up training in an NSR year.. We are allowed 6 weeks training a year redardless of what this consists of i.e.patrols, camp. There is a very wide variety of options and these include: recruit camp on haulbowline if naturally, you're a recruit, Sea rider coxswain courses (usually a couple a year), there is an advanced fire fighting, sea survival and damage control course in the new maritime college open to NSR as well, camps on introduction to all craft used by the NSR for new personnel (SR, Bp-18, gemi etc. etc.) When the appropriate courses are completed, patrols are also an option.

While on patrol, the majority of NSR personnel do get the oppertunity to do sea-rider/delta cox training which is one of a variety of very interesting aspects of carrying out patrols. some Bosuns when satisfied with the competency of the NSR seaman in boat handling will allow him/her to coxswain full boarding operations. Personally I think that this a sign of the full integration of the NSR as a reservist can have the confidence of the ships NCO's/Officers to allow him/her to do the job of the PDF members on board.

The BP18s Goldie are regularly used in my unit anyway and still play an interesting and integral part in personnel training.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I see......

Anyhoo....I was wondering, seeing as all you naval reservists are doing your annual camp aboard ship,are the Motor Launches used any more? Is training on water reserved for Sea Rider Cox etc?

Do the BP18s(?) still get a day out or has the NSR ditched its sailing club tag?(Seeing as the Naval service actually has its own sailing club nowdays?)

Leave a comment:

• Bam Bam
    replied
    The shotgun shoot is the AA weapon system on the ship. The small construction with the rope around it is a catapult. They'd hurl a petrol can into the air and shoot it with the shotgun, confusing the enemy pilot and allowing the ship to escape.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Shotguns and petrol tanks...does anyone else think thats not a great combination?

Leave a comment:

• the babs
    replied
    Originally posted by moggy
    Getting lots of flashbacks any more pictures
    here's a few more pics.... enjoy
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Done my RIB course in a force 8 in cork harbour....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X