Robot plane for the NS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot plane for the NS?

Maybe the Naval Service should have the same thing seeing that choppers are no longer an option . Am sure the flight deck on Eithne would accomadate operating them . The U S Navy used them with the old Iowa class battleships for forward fire and control . They used a powered launching ramp to get them airborne and a Volleyball net type set up for retreval < the aircarft just flies into the net , > . just imagine what you could be done with an actual flight deck at your disposal , I am pretty sure N S personell could handle this which would be another plus i.e . no more excuses from Air Corps personell about not going to sea . I am sure there will be plenty of sarcastic replys to this posting < which I look forward to>
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Originally posted by Laners
    Maybe the Naval Service should have the same thing seeing that choppers are no longer an option . Am sure the flight deck on Eithne would accomadate operating them . The U S Navy used them with the old Iowa class battleships for forward fire and control . They used a powered launching ramp to get them airborne and a Volleyball net type set up for retreval < the aircarft just flies into the net , > . just imagine what you could be done with an actual flight deck at your disposal , I am pretty sure N S personell could handle this which would be another plus i.e . no more excuses from Air Corps personell about not going to sea . I am sure there will be plenty of sarcastic replys to this posting < which I look forward to>
    WHO WOULD SERVICE SAME -CERTAINLY NOT AIR CORP??

Comment

Iowa class battleships along with most US vessels for that matter are generally slightly larger the the Eithne helicopter patrol vessel.

Comment

There's no reason why the NS couldn't maintain & operate such UAV's from their vessels. It doesn't take a huge amount of deck space to launch & retrieve them & some models can be recovered from the water: Link to previous discussion on UAV's
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Eithne hardly ranks in the IOWA class battleship range....why would we need these UAVs for the curents NS roles given the computer assisted techno that we have?...Given the small size of the Eithne s flight deck I reckon that an UAV landing there would finish its run about the focsle.....Does any body realise how small Eithnes flight deck actually is....does anybody realise how small the whole ****ing ship is.....88.8 metres in total length.....250 feet.... a car at fifty miles an hour wouldn't stop on it.....the safety range of an 84mm is one sixth its lenght...if your drive way was this lenght you'd need planning permission. This is not even the distance for the zeroing of a steyr...or even the distance required for falling plates...and you want to land a small aeroplane on it.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

My reference to Iowa class is because that is where I saw it in operation on T V , The History Chanel , and nothing else. If you read my first posting you will see that I described the method of retreval for this aircraft , which is by flying it into a net , not onto the deck but into a net with very little deck space required . Hence my comment , imagine what could be done with an actual flight deck .

Comment

It's caught in a net Murph, I've seen footage of it being done. It's flown into the net where it's stopped immediately, it doesn't need a runway. If the US Navy can launch & recover UAV's off the heli pads of their ships why can't the NS?

Putting a UAV on an NS vessel would give the captain his own 'eye in the sky', would that not be useful in SAR & fisheries protection roles?
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Why are Murphs replys to post so hostile

Comment

There are also rotary wing UAVs.

Watch this space....

Murph is very protective of his former career,and home...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yes I've seen it done on the discovery channel...and its still no being done on something that equates to a handKerchief. hans up all those who have seen a helo land on the Eithne........was their much room for manouver....now get your model airoplane and crash it into the volley ball net at what height will it not fall over the side given that the ship is only 11 metres wide...what is the elasticty in the net ....to prevent it crshing into the hanger door or the funnels.

Its not open hostility I just think people fail to realise tha capabilites or lack there of in operating aircraft of any description from small ships.

Take for instance the average Helo pad on lets say Perry class frigate........it is designed to operate with helos up to the S61 class helicopter...its twice the size of the Eithnes flight deck . The area abaft the last gun turret on aN Iowa class battleship ,to the stern is longer than the Eithne it self!

Wonderful ideas all but highly imparactical....Its a bit like some ones proposed missile fit...look at the ship close up...where would you fit it all.

She is not a frigate ..merely an Offshore patrol vessel...with a very minute helipad.

Tell you a little tale about a US coastguard officer who visited the ship to view heli ops..as they had purchased the HH65 Dolphin and were considering using them from coast guard cutters.

He took one look at the flight deck and thought it was a joke.as in some one was winding him up

He said we could never operate a helo from that.....!

He saw the Helo operating and said we Should never operate a helo from that!

His final comment was something like ....never in the USA.!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Sorry to butt in again but given the weather conditions that most SAR is carried out around our coasts in....nothing gets airborne from the deck of a ship....or gets back there. Ever seen a four story bulding throw a thirty degree roll.....now try landing on that given that perameters for the Dauphin were 5 degrees pitch and 4 degrees roll...and thats not an awful lot of movemnent.

Contrary to popular opinion...Size is everthing!

Comment

I witnessed Heliops on the Eithne. When you walk around the Heli deck alongside it seems quite big. And you know the Dauphin is not the largest bus in the world. It all seems to make sense.

Then you see the parafin pidgon coming in to land. all you can think is "they can't be serious, it'll never fit!". It did, just about, but it made your hair stand on end.

Murph, I seem to recall that the rotors didn't have much clearance from the hangar doors even if you got it right on the money.

Comment

Correct ...lets just say it was very precise science......!

Comment

The US Navy was launching & retrieving Pioneer UAV's, which are 14ft long. After viewing footage of the Pioneer being caught in a net, it looks like it comes to a stop within 14ft. Would Eithne's fight deck accomodate that?

Comment

Murph , I am raising my hand . I saw the first chopper landing on Eithne when she was still in the hands of the builders in Rushbrook , and far more landings and takeoffs than I can remember when we where in Lorient in France doing trials for several weeks . All the flights where done by French test pilots from Aerospatiale ,and a bunch of hot shots they where . Ever see a Dauphin land backwards onto a ship moving forward ? .

Comment

Working...
                              X