No announcement yet.

Diving Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can take up to 12 weeks for a HIV test to become positive so there is little point in performing the test any earlier. If the test were performed any earlier and was negative it would simply have to be repeated again at 12 weeks. It can take up to 6 months after infection for the antibodies to show up in a test.

The incubation period for Hepatitis B (time from infection to onset of symptoms) is 6 weeks to 6 months, the average being 2 to 3 months. You may be thinking of the vaccination which provides protection for up to 5 years.

- Google & the National Disease Surveillance Centre are your friends

Comment

Either way lads, statistics aside,I hope its something none of you have to worry about. I know I had the anti hep shots at the time,but as a total hypochondriac,its not something that you can easily forget about.
      There is always the "what if?".
      Victim is Hep b,Victim is HIV+,Victim has open wound,Victim is dead. You know from training that victim is now in the most infectious state he can be. And you are the lucky person who gets to help carry him from waterline to ambulance,wearing only your standard uniform and leather gloves for protection...
      Until you can say for sure that you are not infected,every stress induced illness,cough ache and pain you will ask yourself "is this the first symptom?"

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Congratulations Goldie and fair play to ya for putting yourself in such a situation. Believe me when i say im not being sarcastic there but i have to ask why was there no protective equipment provided in such a situation? I do not claim to know what are the standard procedures for such task but surely you should not have had to put yourself in that situation.
        Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
        but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other,
        body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming........................
        WOO HOO - What a Ride!" :tri:

Comment

Since then the GS provide all those on beat with latex gloves(its one of the pouches all gardai now carry). We only had them in the station...

Comment

yeah even we are issued with latex gloves when working
            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by How Ya Doin?
              Congratulations Goldie and fair play to ya for putting yourself in such a situation. Believe me when i say im not being sarcastic there but i have to ask why was there no protective equipment provided in such a situation? I do not claim to know what are the standard procedures for such task but surely you should not have had to put yourself in that situation.
              Ditto. Just dont try and kiss me..
              Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Laners
                Nothing worse than puking up while wearing a full face mask
                Just as well you can puke through the regulator.

What is the role of combat divers? I assume it involves an underwater scooter, a rebreather set and some high explosives and a long fuse?
                Take these men and women for your example.
                Like them, remember that posterity can only
                be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                possession of those who have the
                courage to defend it.
                Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Em, GF, confused- you must have been at the waterside if you didn't have gloves?
                  Take these men and women for your example.
                  Like them, remember that posterity can only
                  be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                  possession of those who have the
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                  If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Rebreathers are usually some cheap knockoff not
                      some ap valves evolution!! (if only!! €2500!!)
                      but as usualy get cheaper with time!
                      the most you are lucky to get in the NS diving
                      course is some apex 300 year old used reg
                      but would absolutly love to be disproved by
                      someone who has done the time for the crime!:P

Comment

oh and if your out of dublin the body recovery is usually left to the nearest sac and volunteer recovery team! in dublin its 99% fire brigrade work but some rank and file gardai do grab loose flesh on the waters edge if they want to that is!! its safer to leave it to the fire service who have the haz-chem training that does envolve some limited underwater work.
                        Last edited by FMolloy; 24 April 2005, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
                        X