Any offers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any offers?

The former northern Ireland patrol vessels HMS Brecon and HMS Cottesmore seen tied up in Swansea,awaiting scrapping or disposal.

Could we pull a Peacock type stroke here? They already have the majority of their minesweeping gear removed,and are modified for boarding parties. Ideal for coastal patrol,an area currently undertaken by the overworked Peacocks.

If they are considering scrapping,for relatively modern vessels(1979-1982,with major refit and upgrade in 1998),surely a reasonable offer would secure them?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

it would be brilliant allright goldie to add the ships to the fleet cheaply, but it wont happen :( The Civil Service is not renowned for its speed in acquiring funds for programs when the funds have not already been included in the origional budget.

Comment

The look like decent ships alright - no doubt they could be got for 'small money' if the govt wanted to.

However, I agree with boomers comments - and would add that I believe the DoD have adopted a policy of only buying new transport vehicles/planes/helis/ships in recent years.

I wonder will the RN donate them to somewhere like Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.......?
      Last edited by Silver; 9 July 2005, 17:06.
      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

I think they will scrap them before they donate them. They are worth something as scrap.

Comment

"I think they will scrap them before they donate them. They are worth something as scrap"

I dont think so goldie - Remember they're Tupperware - Ok from a Rust point of view but hellish for scraping - Can remember when they were First commissioned - They were the best in the world, At the time they cost more per tonne than any other ship in the fleet. So much so that the RN's plans to equip the RNR with them came to nothing - We got the River Class instead!

Comment

According to Wikipedia "They are the largest warships ever built out of glass reinforced plastic".

What is the reasoning behind them being removed from RN service?

Comment

The afterdeck looks like it was transplanted off one of the peacocks. Practically identical launching system by the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pym
                According to Wikipedia "They are the largest warships ever built out of glass reinforced plastic".

What is the reasoning behind them being removed from RN service?
                Reasoning is a poor choice of words,but basically because the cheif Constable in NI feels there is a "neutral" security situation there, Routine Patrols by other RN vessels and "specific intelligence-led maritime operations will deliver an appropriate level of support in countering terrorism".

In short,they are not paying their way any more.

As for scrap value,I'm sure the sensors,plant and other equipment fit will be worth something under the auctioneers hammer?

Comment

Doubtful if they will be scrapped. They were'nt due to decommission for years before this latest round of defence cuts...Brecon 2016, Dulverton 2020 and Cottesmore 2022. I might be wrong but they were'nt in Swansea for disposal either. They are based at Faslane in Scotland and that is where they will be paid off, this month.'Navy News' will carry a story next month no doubt. Makes sense as Babcock Disposals, the firm who sell ex Royal Navy vessels have a base there.

In the photos taken at Swansea they are still flying the White Ensign. That means they were still under the command of the Royal Navy. Possibly a last visit to Swansea because of the Welsh link (Brecon)??

Wish I shared the Chief Constable's optimisim.
                  'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

the greeks might want two more..we don't need any more inshore craft..we'll build before we buy!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                    X