GUARD project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUARD project

DF teaming up with industry and academia to develop a AI drone capable of operating in bad weather from NS vessels focus being on drug smuggling

It has received €7.6m in funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...rug-smugglers/

https://theguardproject.com

Comment

Interesting how it is being reported as used to counter Drugs Smugglers, rather than any military functon. Could this be because the IDA will not support in any way the defence industry in Ireland?
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I’m sure it could be multi purpose

DTIF GUARD will enable 3 Irish SMEs to develop world-leading smart drone technology, in a market expected to grow to $45bn by 2025. The new capability will be demonstrated with the Irish Navy for drug interdiction. Technology is broadly applicable to many other applications. GUARD will advance drone capability, autonomous operation & communications far beyond the state-of-the-art.GUARD will enable the SMEs to significantly scale up their operations and aims to create 500 jobs in Ireland and make Ireland a leader in autonomous drones. Enabling the Irish Navy to efficiently survey large areas of the coastline.
        GOALS
        • Enabling the Irish Navy to efficiently survey large areas of the coastline.

Comment

I'm very suspicious. I hope it works out though, it would be a great success story for all involved if so

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            It has received €7.6m in funding
            For this money, you can purchase off the shelf right now from at least three vendors, six years of Radio Frequency and Synthetic Aperture Radar Remote Sensing.

The annual package 24/7/365 would cover the entire Irish EEZ and some, with revisit times of every 8 hrs at a minimum.
            It would include detecting, correlation, classification and identification services and processed intelligence reporting on demand.

I know where I would spend the money.

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post

For this money, you can purchase off the shelf right now from at least three vendors, six years of Radio Frequency and Synthetic Aperture Radar Remote Sensing.

The annual package 24/7/365 would cover the entire Irish EEZ and some, with revisit times of every 8 hrs at a minimum.
              It would include detecting, correlation, classification and identification services and processed intelligence reporting on demand.

I know where I would spend the money.
              This is an investment in an joint project to provide something that currently isn’t available at our level

Comment

Of their four work packages, there are several established and mature companies in each package.

The airframe/platform is common.

Advantage of communication system in maritime domain is highly suspect. There is a reason people use SATCOM.

Intelligence and Visualisation: ?????

Information and Trial: Reliant on Naval Ships going to sea...........................................

Comment

Working...
                X