Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small boats...

Hi all
    With regard to small boats, how are they named and what defines them? Jollyboats, dories,longboats,dinghies,liberty boats,admiral's barges,etc. Who looks after them in Naval Service? Does every O/Sea or AB get trained in their use?
    regards
    GttC

Jollyboats?Admirals barges?

What are you on about exactly?

Liberty boats are gone about ten years.

The Boats in use by the NS are Rigid Inflatables, Built by Avon or Delta mostly. Anything else(Boat transports) is civilian operated,but the property of the Minister for Defence.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi there
      Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about carry-aboard small boats and harbour/yard small boats..RIBs are an easily-identifiable class of small boat, but what about other classes of small boats, with more traditional construction. For example, are all the small boats motor(inboard) launches or outboards? Does the Navy use RIBs as lifeboats or are there dedicated lifeboats?
      Apart from the Navy, what about more traditional non-RIB boats, used by civvies.How are they named or classed?
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Three types of RIB are in current use by the NS.The RIB is the only "carry on" boat now used by the Naval Service. The Avon 5.4m Sea Rider is propelled by two 40hp outboards. This type of boat is no longer used as a primary boarding boat by the newer vessels and many are in use by the Naval Service reserve. Each of the P20 class has 3 of these boats, and the P40 class have 2 each.

Next one up is the 6.8m Avon powered by two 75hp outboards as seen on Niamh and Roisin, which is carried on Haley davits port and Starboard.(The P50 class also carries a 5.4m).

Newest is the Delta used On Eithne(described elsewhere on this section under "Eithnes Deltas"). These are powered by an Inboard Diesel engine.

They are not Lifeboats as such. In the event of an emergency, there are a number of inflatable liferafts aboard(usually enough to accomodate twice the crew of the vessel). They are used for boarding, and transport from ship to shore when the ship is at anchor.

As for non rib boats..I assume you mean the Boat transports? They have a number of rope boats (small tug) also, and they are operated on behalf of the DoD by civilians. They vary in size and design, same as workboats and ferries found in any harbour. Nothing particulary naval about them, they are all different colours. The Boat transports have black hulls, the Rope Boats have blue hulls, one of them has a red hull...
        Names include David F, Saleen, Fainleog, Seabhac, again nothing particularly naval about them either.

Comment

Hi Goldie
          That's a very interesting and informative reply.I presume there are official drills and procedures for launching and retrieving small boats.It must be a right bag of laughs doing it in a strong sea-state...the only small boats that I have any experience of was crew boats servicing rigs in the Gulf.They were 120 feet long, powered by two large diesels, had a cabin over the front half of the hull and an open deck at the rear. They had rubber fenders and bumpers made of old truck tyres.They were crewed by Filipinos who "lived" aboard, for 90 days at a time. We had to board them by swinging off the lower(boat) deck of the rig by ropes, hoping that we didn't fall into the gap between the hull and the rig.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by carrington View Post
            Looks good. Certainly should be considered. MAybe get the company to contact the DoD and see how this could be done.
            To put an end to this DREAM the servicemen at present has only one launch to get them in in to the naval base in the morning,, so that says a few things about the state of play if the David f gives up the place will grind to a halt... oh i forgot the new simulators????

Comment

Some years ago Marine transport, who owned the Steel Isle and other Transport boats involved in Spike, indicated their intention to Build a New Launch. However when the Prison went, so did the need for a new Launch. A Catmaran was selected, and sits in Cork Dockyard, but it was too short to get a Licence for the amount of passengers it is designed to carry.The fact that most of the younger folk like to drive their boyracer cars to Haulbowline doesn't help either.

Comment

What ever happened to the 'William J'? ...jesus that was some hulk....I used to often wonder if it would make it as far as Cobh.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

[quote=Goldie fish;103801]Three types of RIB are in current use by the NS.The RIB is the only "carry on" boat now used by the Naval Service. The Avon 5.4m Sea Rider is propelled by two 40hp outboards. This type of boat is no longer used as a primary boarding boat by the newer vessels and many are in use by the Naval Service reserve. Each of the P20 class has 3 of these boats, and the P40 class have 2 each.

Next one up is the 6.8m Avon powered by two 75hp outboards as seen on Niamh and Roisin, which is carried on Haley davits port and Starboard.(The P50 class also carries a 5.4m).

Newest is the Delta used On Eithne(described elsewhere on this section under "Eithnes Deltas"). These are powered by an Inboard Diesel engine.

They are not Lifeboats as such. In the event of an emergency, there are a number of inflatable liferafts aboard(usually enough to accomodate twice the crew of the vessel). They are used for boarding, and transport from ship to shore when the ship is at anchor.

Interesting pic of the afterdeck of a CPV. It was taken in the early years of use as the 75hp engines supplies by the RN were still in place. ( crap engines they turned out to be) Also note the 'Wicker' fenders on the funnel deck port and the standby engine mid ships. Long since gone now. the engines had a connection for a water hose which allowed the engines to be run on deck and while being launched for a quick getaway. Those so called radar reflectors and blue lights also went. Where was the picture taken? That shore fixed crane dosen't seem familiar.

Comment

Its one of Murphs photos, I think it was taken in Waterford.

Comment

Taken alongside in Waterford early in 1989.( The ship had mysteriously been ordered along side to take part in its annual inspection) I got through about a roll of film that day photographing the ship as I had exited from the NS six months prior to their delivery and had never seen one up close before that.

Interesting enough it was about that time I met 'matty dread' who was an AB on board at the time.

..as is the one of the searider mine taken from the main deck of Eithne during a boat recovery during 1987.

The shore crane has long since been removed

Hit the link its too the gallery but I've added about 50 images to the naval section, most were posted in the older gallery but those who haven't been around since its demise can check thses out again.

I also have the same amount of photos of the people at the time plus another load of Eithne helo and associated shots from this time also if anyone wishes for me to post them..I will email them if anybody is that interested,
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 14 November 2007, 22:28.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        Taken alongside in Waterford early in 1989.( The ship had mysteriously been ordered along side to take part in its annual inspection) I got through about a roll of film that day photographing the ship as I had exited from the NS six months prior to their delivery and had never seen one up close before that.

Interesting enough it was about that time I met 'matty dread' who was an AB on board at the time.

..as is the one of the searider mine taken from the main deck of Eithne during a boat recovery during 1987.

Hit the link its too the gallery but I've added about 50 images to the naval section, most were posted in the older gallery but those who haven't been around since its demise can check thses out again.

I also have the same amount of photos of the people at the time plus another load of Eithne helo and associated shots from this time also if anyone wishes for me to post them..I will email them if anybody is that interested,
                        send them to me murph... as for the william j she was sold to someone in england as a river boat.. its origanal use was a torpedo supply boat during ww1...

Comment

[quote=hptmurphy;185599]Taken alongside in Waterford early in 1989.( The ship had mysteriously been ordered along side to take part in its annual inspection) I got through about a roll of film that day photographing the ship as I had exited from the NS six months prior to their delivery and had never seen one up close before that.

Yes, I'd also like to see the crew photos, if you can provide a link or perhaps post a few, that would be great Murph!

Comment

Working...
                          X