• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (from NZHerald.co.nz)
    Govt unfazed by Navy ships' cracks
    By Derek Cheng
    5:30 AM Monday Aug 16, 2010

Cracks in the Navy's four new inshore patrol vessels are not serious and just part of the "bedding-in" process, Defence Minister Wayne Mapp says.

The 55m-long ships, which were delivered in 2009, have undergone repairs and strengthening to the front of the superstructure where it meets the deck.

Dr Mapp said the acute angle had created pressure that caused the cracking, and it needed to be strengthened.

The damage is not considered to be serious or threatening to the integrity of the ships, he said.

Repairs took place under warranty, meaning it did not cost the Government anything.

"Those cracks were relatively small and able to be easily repaired, and repaired under warranty. I don't know [how much the repairs were], and neither do I need to know," Dr Mapp said.

"These are the sorts of things that occur in the bedding-in period. And they're back in service.

"I'm assuming that all the little things that need to be fixed up under warranty will be fixed up under warranty. And there's been a few little things like fans being too loud, stuff like that."

The four vessels - Taupo, Rotoiti, Hawea and Pukaki - were part of the Navy's $500 million Project Protector in 2004, which delivered seven new ships to the Navy.

Taupo also had repairs done under warranty to its main engines and generators. During maintenance in Auckland, its fuel system was stripped and cleaned out after contamination.

The four vessels are used for maritime surveillance and to support other agencies such as Customs and Fisheries.

They have a range of 3000 nautical miles and patrol up to 200 nautical miles off the coast.

Dr Mapp said "they're out and about on the New Zealand coast, and that has been noticed".

The Navy has also had repairs done under warranty on its two 85m-long patrol vessels, HMNZS Otago and HMNZS Wellington, which were delivered earlier this year.

After the Wellington left the shipbuilder's yard in Melbourne, a water seal leaked in its port engine and its starboard engine control system developed a fault. The ship was diverted to Sydney.....

Comment

• On a slightly related note...

Navy's drinking culture exposed
      Labour leader and former Defence Minister Phil Goff has admitted there is a drinking culture in the New Zealand navy in the wake of the suspension of a top officer.

Commander John William Butcher was suspended from command of the $540 million frigate HMNZS Te Mana after allegations of misconduct, it was revealed this morning.

The Herald understands Mr Butcher was stood down while the Defence Force investigates claims made about his behaviour when the ship was docked at Port Vila, Vanuatu, last week.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor - one source described Commander Butcher as "being drunk in charge of a soup spoon" at an official function.

Mr Goff today said there was a long standing problem with drinking in the navy, particularly amongst young recruits.

He did not know all the facts of the case but found the reported facts concerning.

Defence Minister Wayne Mapp earlier said he had briefed about the situation and regarded it as a significant issue because of the seniority of the person.

"But there is an investigation being held and I don't intend to prejudge the outcome of that."

Asked if he thought there was an issue with drinking in the military, Dr Mapp said: "Well there are 10,000 people in the Defence Force. They tend to be at the younger end of the spectrum. It probably reflects a bit of a cultural issue that New Zealand as a nation actually has."

He had discussions with the Chief of Defence Force over the years on the same issue because it came up from time to time.

A Defence spokesman confirmed that the Navy had "relieved one of its ships' captains of his duties" while the allegations were investigated.

"The allegations are not of a criminal nature and at no time was the ship or its company put in any danger," Defence Force spokesman Chris Wright said.

He said details of the allegations would not be made public until it was decided whether charges under the Armed Forces Discipline Act will be laid.

But a Navy source told the Herald the disciplinary action against Commander Butcher was common knowledge among crew members.

"To relieve a guy of his command is probably the biggest embarrassment a person can get... that's a real big no no," the source said.

Commander Butcher joined the navy in 1989 and has had a long and decorated career.

He was appointed a member of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the 2006 New Year Honours List for services to the New Zealand Defence Force and his work as the navigation training officer.

In 2006, he attended the United States Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, and three years later was appointed military assistant to the Chief of Navy and confirmed in the rank of Commander.

Commander Butcher was appointed captain of Te Mana and its 178 officers and ratings in August last year.

At 118m long and weighing 3600 tonnes, Te Mana is one of the navy's two ANZAC Class frigates, and considered one of the main fighting units.

Its role is to protect New Zealand and its maritime resources, participate in UN missions, and provide support for civil defence and search and rescue operations.

As part of a recent five-month deployment, Te Mana visited Ho Chi Minh City and was at an international fleet review to celebrate the golden jubilee of the Royal Brunei Armed Forces during a visit to Brunei.

In the fleet review, 16 warships from 13 nations sailed in formation, watched by the Sultan of Brunei and 11 navy chiefs, including Rear Admiral Tony Parr from New Zealand.
      The ship also exercised with the Indian naval vessel INS Kesari.

Performing drills with the Indian warship was a valuable opportunity for the navy, said Commander Butcher.

The name Te Mana means "status" or "authority" in Maori, and the ship's motto is "Kokiri Kia U" - "Striving towards perfection".

The investigation is the latest in a string of embarrassing alcohol-related incidents involving the Navy.

Most recently, a petty officer drank up to 17 beers and cycled away from his ship while he was supposed to be on guard duty.

Norman Anderson appeared at a court martial at the Devonport Navy base in June and pleaded guilty to five charges including leaving his post, drinking while on duty and stealing food from the ship's stores.

- HERALD ONLINE, Newstalk ZB
      Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I'm glad to say that that sort of thing would never happen here. No sirreee. Not a hope. Never.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
          I'm glad to say that that sort of thing would never happen here. No sirreee. Not a hope. Never.
          Exactly. The NZ Navy have never made it to Ireland... ahem.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I'm glad to say that that sort of thing would never happen here. No sirreee. Not a hope. Never

Hmmm ! Do I detect an air of sarcasm?
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
              I'm glad to say that that sort of thing would never happen here. No sirreee. Not a hope. Never.
              Will this ever happen?
              The Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, announces his intention to introduce a policy to combat alcohol abuse in the DF. He declares that henceforth all DF installations ships and aircraft will be alcohol free zones. LOL

Comment

• He declares that henceforth all DF installations ships and aircraft will be alcohol free zones. LOL
                What would all the bar men do then?
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Seanachie View Post
                  go back to being soldiers?
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• go back to being soldiers
                    Surely you jest, such finely trained upstanding people expected to mix with the general rank and file!

Comment

• Originally posted by Seanachie View Post
                      Exactly, with their one week on, one week off on full pay, then take their annual leave, eos, pdl......... FÁS has nothing compared to that!!!!!
                      Priceless!

Comment

• Exactly, with their one week on, one week off on full pay, then take their annual leave, eos, pdl......... FÁS has nothing compared to that!!!!!
                        Priceless!
                        Its a wonder the bar ever gets opened at all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
                          Tenix's Project Protector

Tenix's PR work on Project Protector which makes reference to the LPV's. Two Kiwi officers spent 6 weeks each in Ireland, predominantly at sea on the LPV's over the past four years.
                          Found this thread looking for something else.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Definitely something for Ireland to watch

Comment

• "We want to replace 8 of our 9 ships in one go" is not something I ever expect to hear from a DoD press conference. As it is, the vessel replacement program was billed as the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality what was delivered was merely a slight improvement on the P50s, which brought no real increase in capability as was promised and barely an improvement in capability on the 40 year old P20 class.
                              I do agree though it will be interesting to see what comes from it- I assume its the tanker that isn't being replaced? Does that mean the 3rd OPV is off the table along with the LPD replacement for Canterbury?
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                "We want to replace 8 of our 9 ships in one go" is not something I ever expect to hear from a DoD press conference. As it is, the vessel replacement program was billed as the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality what was delivered was merely a slight improvement on the P50s, which brought no real increase in capability as was promised and barely an improvement in capability on the 40 year old P20 class.
                                I do agree though it will be interesting to see what comes from it- I assume it’s the tanker that isn't being replaced? Does that mean the 3rd OPV is off the table along with the LPD replacement for Canterbury?
                                Isn’t the improvement in capability, it’s sea going capability?

Comment

Working...
                                X