New Zealand Project Protector.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Zealand Patrol Vessel.

Just reading Warship 2005...an annual publication which is a must for all naval enthusiasts.

It is reported in the international navies section thet New Zealand is to build a new unit of patrol vessels based on....the LE Eithne...its true.....foundit hard to believe my self....

anybody have any more information on this?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

This is a guess but it sounds like a report on Project Protector. The two OPVs in the project are based on the same hull as the LE Róisín (but with Helo pad I think). Did the author of the story confuse Eithne with Róisín after a quick brouse of Jane's?.

Comment

any pictures of it ?

Comment

Would it be this

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Ireckon that might be the case in which case yes the book could be wrong.

The article is a attributed to one Conrad Waters...a barrister by training...and a banker by profession author of numerous articles on modern naval history.

Never heard of him!

I suppose we will have to wait for next years edition for the corrections.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Although if you follow CTU,'s link to the earlier thread you will see that while based on the Róisín's hull the OPV does bear a striking resemblance to a more modern, less top-heavy Eithne (as Goldie points out).

Note the twin funnels, the position of the main armament and the afterdeck below the helideck. It looks like a cross between the two classes, just as the Róisín is somthing of a PV/CPV cross.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out as artists impressions can be misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                However it also bears a striking resemblance,in my opinion to Eithne,P31.
                You heard it here first.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I was lookin through the irish independant archives and i saw that the navy got a submersible craft.
                  This craft isnt manned is it?

Comment

No. It is artificial intelligence.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi all just thought i would send the links to view the pictures of two opvs being built for the New Zealand Navy .

Comment

Lovely....cross between P31 and P51
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 November 2005, 11:52.

Comment

Thanks Kiwi.

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                          Lovely....cross between P31 and P51
                          Hopefully with the best features of both.

Comment

out of interest, wht type of heli wil the Kiwi's be opperating on these new ships?!?
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Kaman Sea Sprite (SH-2F) I would imagine.
                              "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

I don't expect helis to be deployed on the smaller craft, but the helideck on the OPV gives them the option.
                                The Kaman Seasprite, of which they have 5, is the standard Naval heli on their Anzac Frigates, Te Kaha and Te Mana.

Comment

Working...
                                X