Naval Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordinajamjar
    If you've no objection McCarthy I'd like to throw in a little quiz of my own.

As you know there have been several posts about the Irish Naval Service questioning why Ireland doesn't have "warships" and why more money isn't spent on the navy. Which got me thinking about other European navies and their active roles. So I'm going to list several countries and all you have to do is state the year and the action involved in which any ship/rowing boat of each country's navy was last engaged in any type of action against an armed aggressor. Onshore fist fights in foreign bars don't count.

There are no prizes. For the hell of it I'll set a deadline of January 10th on which day I'll share my answers. Good luck.

1: Norwey

2: Sweden

3: Belgium

4: Netherlands

5: France

6: Spain

7: Portugal

8: Italy

9: Greece

Answers please..

Comment

Right navy heads I need you to help me settle an arguement i'm having.
      This american bloke claims that the americans are the only navy that have aircraft carriers. I know this is not true.
      Can ye give me a list of the navys that have aircraft carriers and if so how many.?
      I know I can call him up on the British ones and the French ones and the retired Russian one. But I really want to burn him with names and the like and get him to shut up for a while.
      I would like to smack him up but a friend is seeing him and to be honest i'm more afriad of her that him.
      My attempts at googling this have came up with the Foch, Charles De Gaulle, Kunestov, Hermes, Invincible.
      Any help would be appeciated as my knowledge of naval stuff is limited to what I say in that naval muesem in Den Helder.
      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

This link should have everything you are looking for. It will involve a lot of copying and pasting though.. Edit: May be a bit out of date

www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/summary.htm
        Last edited by McCarthy; 31 January 2006, 23:27.

Comment

Argentina used to have one, the Vientecinco de mayo. Chile had one too..
          However some commentators do not consider carriers that operate STOVL aircraft as "proper" aircraft carriers. Particularly the US Navy, as their amphib landing ships operate harriers.
          So you are down to Carriers that have a Catapult and Wire arrestor for aircraft landing. These are becoming increasingly rare. Just the french, at the moment. (Charles De Gaulle?)
          My own Janes' is missing at the moment.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Netherlands

De Zezen Provincion a coastal defence ship was badly damaged by Japanese aircraft on 18th February 1942

I think there was something a bit more significant than that around that time...there was a naval command known as ABDA (American British Dutch Australian) which took on the Japanese, commanded by a Dutch admiral...John Keegan book, alas, out of reach. Anyone able to back me up here?
            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Nice one lads cheers for the info on the carriers.
              I don't think this guy knows the difference between a carrier and a tug boat(then again neither do I)
              but at least I can shut him up for a while with the link.
              Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt McCarthy
                I was looking through the archives and I saw Murfs quiz so I thought Id give it a go.
                I only have a few questions but I'll add more accordingly.

1.What was the senior appointment in the NS before FOCNS?

2.What was the title of the CO of the Naval Base pre 1980?

3.Where were the CPV's built?

4.What were the CPV's called when they were part of the Hong Kong Squadron?

5.When training was carried out on Spike Island, what was the name of the grouping there?

1. Commanding Officer & Director Naval Service
                2. Commanding Officer Haulbowline
                3. Hall Russell, Aberdeen, UK
                4. HMS Swift & HMS Swallow
                5. Naval Detachment, Fort Mitchel.

________
                Granny Video
                Sailor Girl
                Private 2*
                Last edited by Sailor Girl; 24 March 2011, 11:48.

Comment

Close..
                  No. 5 is Naval Detachment Spike Island

Comment

Heres one for ya

When LE's Aoife and Aisling were being built in VCD what were their yard numbers?

Comment

Hi all
                      I thought the holder of the post in Q.2 was referred to as "CONBAD". As for the carriers, didn't the Indian Navy have the "Vikrant" until fairly recently, with older model Sea Harriers aboard.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Naval Quiz

The VCD Yard numbers for the ship's are ;

LE Aoife 969

LE Aisling 973
                        ________
                        Lincoln navigator specifications
                        Sailor Girl
                        Private 2*
                        Last edited by Sailor Girl; 24 March 2011, 11:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco
                          Right navy heads I need you to help me settle an arguement i'm having.
                          This american bloke claims that the americans are the only navy that have aircraft carriers. I know this is not true.
                          Daft bugger.

Conventional carrier operators are Brazil (Sao Paulo, A-4s), France (Charles de Gaulle, Rafale), Russia (Admiral of the Fleet Kuznetsov, Su-33), India (Vikramaditya, MiG-29, not yet in service). None are the size of American supercarriers or have comparable air complements. Venitcinco de Mayo (Argentina) is out of service. Russia and India use a ski jump, not a catapult.

Harrier Carrier operators are Spain (Principe de Asturias), Italy (Giuseppe Garibaldi, Cavour), Thailand (Chakri Nareubet), UK (Ark Royal, Illustrious), India (Viraat). India used to be a Harrier Carrier operator only, until they bought Gorshkov to replace Vikraant, leaving Viraat in service. A new ship based on Cavour is under construction, it will likely replace Viraat. If he argues that harrier carriers don't count, tell him to talk to the Argentinians on the issue.

The Chinese have finally made clear what everyone knew: They are trying to ressurect Chinluck (ex-Varyag) which would give them a conventional carrier, if they ever get it to work. (I'm doubtful)

NTM
                          California Tanker
                          My tank is bigger...
                          Last edited by California Tanker; 6 February 2006, 18:58.
                          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Hi all
                            How are Irish ships numbered,then? Is the P31 the 31st vessel in service, like the Air Corp's numbering sequence? Are the Yard numbers sequential? Are they the manufacturer's serial number, in effect?
                            Cal Tanker, is the Mig29 the only fighter which is both land and carrier-rated?
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                              Hi all
                              How are Irish ships numbered,then? Is the P31 the 31st vessel in service, like the Air Corp's numbering sequence? Are the Yard numbers sequential? Are they the manufacturer's serial number, in effect?
                              Cal Tanker, is the Mig29 the only fighter which is both land and carrier-rated?
                              regards
                              GttC
                              Every class of ship has different numbers;

Corvettes : 01, 02, 03

Minesweepers: 10, 11, 12

Patrol vessels: 20, 21, 22, 23

Helicopter Patrol Vessel: 31

Coastal Patrol vessels: 41, 42

Patrol Vessels: 51 52
                              Last edited by McCarthy; 6 February 2006, 22:06.

Comment

Each class of ship is given an "X1" number. So P31 is the lead Eithne, P41 is the lead Orla, and P51 is the lead Roisin.

I'm not sure I understand your question about land/carrier rated. Many aircraft (such as F/A-18) are used primarily as a carrier-based aircraft by the US and as land-based aircraft by other countries, for example. MiG-29 and Su-33 are a little different in that they were initially designed to be land-based aircraft, later converted for carrier use. Su-25 was another land-starter, but had only a short career as a carrier aircraft. Given the stresses that are involved in carrier operations, this is no mean feat. Rafale was designed from the outset to work both ways. Gripen could take the stresses of carrier landings, but to my knowledge it has never been actively considered for marketing as such.

NTM
                                California Tanker
                                My tank is bigger...
                                Last edited by California Tanker; 6 February 2006, 19:08.
                                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Working...
                                X