End of an era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an era

When? (someone said 1999) Where ? (someone said Valenca) and Who ? (someone said Irish) tapped out the last morse code in this neck of the ocean. :tri:

So explain what this has to do with the Naval service in 30 words or less?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In related news, Western Union last week finally gave up its Telegram service.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

End of an Era

Originally posted by Goldie fish
        So explain what this has to do with the Naval service in 30 words or less?
        Morse code.

Comment

Hmm... There has been a great invention in the last century, may I introduce it to you,

The VHF radio.

With it you can actually speak to people.....using your voice...

Visual signalling is still instructed though. Its the only place you'll find morse code these days.

Morse is dead since the introduction of GMDSS.

Comment

Morse Code

Up until when were radio operators taught/required to learn Morse code?

I'm guessing it's gone at this stage, but trying to learn it myself

Comment

They were certainly at it until 1990 anyway. I think after that they really only used it during annual exercises. The comops or whatever they are called came on-line then.
              I remember on the Orla or was it the other one that they had two commops and a leading tel. Whenever manoeuvers were on the L/tel (Ambo) would be in the radio cabin for about 16 hrs a day because the other two boys couldn't do the morse thing. I was fully convinced that they were talking about you in dots and dashes whenever you ventured up that neck of the woods.

Comment

You sure CW isn't still being taught in the O/Comms courses? Up until I left in 2004 we used it only in opening and closing of nets on annual exercises and such.

Comment

Morse code is VERY handy if your diving on a vessel and need to communicate with someone top side, cheap and effectively
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

some bouys will also flash a morse letter at night so it helps to know what the letter is that it's flashing or what to look out for.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

CW-continuous wave. I had to google that one. Tels

Comment

Not quite navy related but all avaition navigation beacons are still identified through morse code. Its not gone yet you know.

Comment

Morse is still used in Visual signalling. Also, some RACON beacons emit a morse signal which appears on radar as dots and dashes. Not dead yet. Only as a means of aural comms.

Comment

i remember certain tels using morse during a game of don on eithne. needless to say we werent very impressed

Comment

Originally posted by marloy View Post
                              i remember certain tels using morse during a game of don on eithne. needless to say we werent very impressed
                              Yes, and also on a train to Dublin, tapping on the table top's about some girls sitting opposite

_
                              ._
                              _

_._ _
                              _ _ _
                              .._
                              ._.

_
                              ._.
                              Last edited by Test Pilot; 10 April 2009, 21:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X