Other Foreign trips this year include

13 Feb 06 LE Aoife P 22 Barcelona
    24 May 06 LE Ciara P 42 Ostend
    27 May 06 LE Roisin P 51 Dubrovnik
    03 Jun 06 LE Roisin P 51 Piraeus
    13 Jun 06 LE Roisin P 51 Valletta
    20 Jun 06 LE Emer P 21 Kiel
    23 Jun 06 LE Orla P 41 Liverpool

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Orla is going to Liverpool and one of the LPV's is chalked down for a re-supply mission to Liberia

Comment

Emer is going to Kiel this June.

Comment

Dates Updated.(all above details already in Public domain)

Comment

Hi Guys

I have had a few contacts with the guy that operates www.seawaves.com I got the dates of foreign visits by the Naval Service overseas from HQ and he has posted them on the site, he has a photo of LE Niamh that I took of her departing Galway recently on the front page. Its the biggest website for Naval Visits.

If you click on port visits on the left side you can scrool down and you will see all Naval visits Worldwide including ours.

I am really enjoying reading the diary its excellent, hopefully they may bring out a book when its all over.

By the way thanks for all the good wishes re the Salthill Air Show.

Brian

Comment

The Irish Naval Service are doing some travelling this summer also, Including Canada, the Black Sea and the Baltic.

L.E.Orla
            25 May 07 LE Orla P 41 Rotterdam ,Netherlands

L.E.Aisling
            07 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Oslo ,Norway
            10 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Aalborg ,Denmark
            14 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Gdansk ,Poland
            18 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Kiel ,Germany

L.E.Niamh
            07 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Oslo ,Norway
            10 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Copenhagen ,Denmark
            14 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Klaipeda ,Lithuania
            18 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Kiel ,Germany

L.E.Eithne
            20 Jun 07 LE Eithne P 31 Toronto , Canada
            26 Jun 07 LE Eithne P 31 Montreal , Canada
            14 Sep 07 LE Eithne P 31 Bordeaux

L.E.Emer
            06 Jul 07 LE Emer P 21 Zeebrugge, Belgium

L.E.Ciara
            20 Jul 07 LE Ciara P 42 Zeebrugge, Belgium

L.E.Aoife
            26 Jul 07 LE Aoife P 22 Malaga, Spain
            03 Aug 07 LE Aoife P 22 Varna, Bulgaria
            06 Aug 07 LE Aoife P 22 Constanta, Romania
            12 Aug 07 LE Aoife P 22 Valletta, Malta

Apparently L.E. Roisin is minding the shop this summer..."
            Last edited by Goldie fish; 15 September 2007, 12:41.

Comment

joint exercises?

Just wondering, does the Naval Service ever take part in Joint Exercises with other navies, such as this exercise in the Baltic a couple of weeks ago?

Peace-keeping Exercise Noble Mariner 2007 involved over 80 ships and more than 10,000 sailors. The overall aim of the joint international exercise was to exercise, evaluate and improve crisis management procedures in channels close to the shore, so as to ensure the safety of merchant shipping and practise maritime control. The scenario was based on a UN mandate, similar to that of the UNIFIL marine wing patrolling off the coast of Lebanon.

The exercise was hosted by Sweden, with a total of 17 participating countries including Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia. Norway and Denmark also took part, alongside the likes of USA, Great Britain and Germany.

(for more details see www.mil.se, the website of the Swedish Armed Forces)
              Last edited by thebig C; 23 May 2007, 20:30.

Comment

Originally posted by carrington View Post
                Just wondering, does the Naval Service ever take part in Joint Exercises with other navies, such as this exercise in the Baltic a couple of weeks ago?

Peace-keeping Exercise Noble Mariner 2007 involved over 80 ships and more than 10,000 sailors. The overall aim of the joint international exercise was to exercise, evaluate and improve crisis management procedures in channels close to the shore, so as to ensure the safety of merchant shipping and practise maritime control. The scenario was based on a UN mandate, similar to that of the UNIFIL marine wing patrolling off the coast of Lebanon.

The exercise was hosted by Sweden, with a total of 17 participating countries including Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia. Norway and Denmark also took part, alongside the likes of USA, Great Britain and Germany.

(for more details see www.mil.se, the website of the Swedish Armed Forces)

Not at the moment but some training ex have been done with visiting warships to Ireland over the last few years.

Maybe if the Blue/Green ship comes online then we would be in a position to exercise with a unit capable of participating. At the moment no ship we have could make a significant contribution other than maybe Roisin / Niamh with fire support for land based troops.

Comment

Would none of our ships be able to participate in the UN anti-arms smuggling patrol off the coast of Lebanon? Isn't that the kind of work they would do at home?

Comment

Would none of our ships be able to participate in the UN anti-arms smuggling patrol off the coast of Lebanon? Isn't that the kind of work they would do at home?
                    I think you nailed it in your own post why they don't.
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                      I think you nailed it in your own post why they don't.
                      Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean...

Comment

In 2005 one of our ships exercised with two german ships and they were very impressed with the navy's armed boarding tactics, and small boat operations. So thats what we would have to offer in any exercise abroad.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean...
                          Would none of our ships be able to participate in the UN anti-arms smuggling patrol off the coast of Lebanon?
                          Isn't that the kind of work they would do at home?
                          I dont know your opinions, but I'd prefer if our overstretched navy tended to our own shores before committing very scarce resources abroad
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            I dont know your opinions, but I'd prefer if our overstretched navy tended to our own shores before committing very scarce resources abroad
                            Are they that overstretched? According to Admiral Fish, who knows about these things,
                            "The Irish Naval Service are doing some travelling this summer also, Including Canada, the Black Sea and the Baltic.

L.E.Orla
                            25 May 07 LE Orla P 41 Rotterdam ,Netherlands

L.E.Aisling
                            07 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Oslo ,Norway
                            10 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Aalborg ,Denmark
                            14 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Gdansk ,Poland
                            18 Jun 07 LE Aisling P 23 Kiel ,Germany

L.E.Niamh
                            07 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Oslo ,Norway
                            10 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Copenhagen ,Denmark
                            14 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Klaipeda ,Lithuania
                            18 Jun 07 LE Niamh P 52 Kiel ,Germany

L.E.Eithne
                            20 Jun 07 LE Eithne P 31 Toronto , Canada
                            26 Jun 07 LE Eithne P 31 Montreal , Canada
                            14 Sep 07 LE Eithne P 31 Bordeaux

L.E.Emer
                            06 Jul 07 LE Emer P 21 Zeebrugge, Belgium

L.E.Ciara
                            20 Jul 07 LE Ciara P 42 Zeebrugge, Belgium

L.E.Aoife
                            26 Jul 07 LE Aoife P 22 Malaga, Spain
                            03 Aug 07 LE Aoife P 22 Varna, Bulgaria
                            06 Aug 07 LE Aoife P 22 Constanta, Romania
                            12 Aug 07 LE Aoife P 22 Valletta, Malta

Apparently L.E. Roisin is minding the shop this summer..."

In a way the participation of the Naval Service in operations overseas is a chicken-and-egg question: either they take part in these operations and then look for more ships on the basis of increased commitments, or they say we can't participate until we get more ships.

Personally, I think the first strategy is much more likely to be successful.

Comment

I love the way you quote me and use it for your own purposes. It goes so far to making me trust you..

The Naval Service act as ambassadors and are a floating piece of the state that is used overseas by the dept of enterprise and others. Just because they are not chasing fishermen does not mean they are not working.

Oh. Your french Navy trawlers are in cork at the moment. I only barely spottet them as you can only make out the top of their masts at the custom house quay.
                              Ant that was at high tide.

Comment

Working...
                              X