Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS career branches?

I have a few questions if anyone can help, ok
    1.if you are a gunner is that all you do, or is a gunner just a temporary duty, and then you go back to enginnering ect

2.who crew's the RHIB's, is it a specialized crew, or are they just member's of the ship that get assigned t the RHIB's when needed?

3.ditto with the boarding team's,

4.can a gunner be on the boarding team's or be a pilot(is that the right phrase?) on a RHIB

thank's in advance
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

the NS is broken down into Branches so depending on which batnche yo are selected for or choose after passing recruits this will be your carreer line.
    Executive branch is broken down in to Gunners and RPs.
    Gunners work with weapons and small arms. RPs are involved in radar and maps.

both are used in boat work, ships husbandy and staeminf watches and security duties when along side.

Mechs are engineering room and damage control ops.

Coms operate the signals asspects

And the admin supply branck look after supplies. clothing , cooking, and all other admin matters and also include SBAS.

The Engineering branch also encompassess EAs Electrichins and shiprights

Progarmmmers I not sure about was they were never a feature in my day..buT I reckon Comms..and RRTs are also a subvision of coms.

Just because you are a gunner dosen't mean that you will automatically be assigned a gunners role as this positions tend to rotate.

You have to pass your steering ticket to beome a helms man and this is written into your LA 10...along with the Boathandling..you have to qualify for the power boat coxns ticket by spend up to ten hours under trianing whilst at sea.

hope this enlightens you some...anything else just ask...we might be able to help.

-
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
      also include SBAS.

-

what does this be? arrgh!
      The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

S. B.A sick berth attendant...medic to all those who don't know!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Admin as a Branch of its own is no more. Its now Logistics , and falls into either Mechs, Executive or Seamans branch. Those who were in an admin role are now assigned to the branch that they do admin for.

If that makes sense...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You have to pass your steering ticket to beome a helms man and this is written into your LA 10...along with the Boathandling..you have to qualify for the power boat coxns ticket by spend up to ten hours under trianing whilst at sea.
            tough course to pass?
            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

that was close enough answer but just on the power boat ticket not 10 hrs under training at sea that is for the main helm ticket to drive ribs takes alot longer now you have to be experianced bowman first then you get week long rib course in nmci now under navy instructors then you get to drive them at sea & this is still under training & when the bosn is appy with your driving & ability he tell xo & get ticket signed

Comment

Originally posted by af22
                that was close enough answer but just on the power boat ticket not 10 hrs under training at sea that is for the main helm ticket to drive ribs takes alot longer now you have to be experianced bowman first then you get week long rib course in nmci now under navy instructors then you get to drive them at sea & this is still under training & when the bosn is appy with your driving & ability he tell xo & get ticket signed
                so you can't be a gunner and pilot a rhib?,

sorry for the all the question's just going through my options

Comment

yes, if you ask 4 seamans after recruits more tan likely get it & then you do gunnery courses, then out to a ship. there you start in boats as bow man, that is the other person in the rib with the rib COXWAIN not pilot. ive see a few pilots in ribs but the chief era who has to fix ribs after they take off & land does not be pleased lol. but yes you do both gunnery & rib coxn. believe me on a cold morning with hail stones beating your face headin to a boarding as coxn youll say why did i. lol most ships ive been on if you have interest in gunnery easy enough to get gunners mate position especially as o/s you work under the leading or po gunner as his assistant & get to fire them when practicing but dont forget you fire it you CLEAN it. lol
                  you after applying or you just thinking about it?

{MOD EDIT: Some Punctuation added for ease of reading. Avoid text speak please}

Comment

rib coxn believe me on a cold morning with hail stones beating your face headin to a boarding as coxn youll say why did i lol
                    that sound's like a blast, there's hailstone and rain on dry land, I might as well be out in it, doing something interesting
                    Last edited by mutter nutter; 22 May 2006, 15:24.

Comment

af22...you speak so much truth....gunnery course is good if you are into guns..and Boats crew stops the sea sickness!

Comment

It all sounds really good fun

but do you have to work with all those smelly sailors
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

It used to be 10 hours on seariders with a Cox'n. especially when they were new as we had only Geminis up to then. the original searider drivers did the course with Avon...builders of the boat....I remember getting a Parker Pen from the rep.

In about april of 1988 we tested a similar craft by Dunlop..with a single huge engine..was fast but handled badly..gave two days racing around cork harbour versus a searider. Think the boys on the Cill Airne got pissed off with us buzzing them as they went up and down the harbour.
                          Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 May 2006, 22:02.

Comment

Approximate duration of Branch training

How long is Operations Branch training after recruit training. Same question for Engineering Branch.

Comment

Hi Mutter
                              After basic training, you have to do all the REAL sailor stuff like the Rum-Sodomy-Lash course, the big girl's blouse course( how to dress up in that girl-pulling blue uniform), the tying knots course, the winding-ropes(sorry, sheets)-in-coils course, the powder monkey's course for the muzzle-loader, the coaling-ship-at-sea course, the talking-to-Dubbalin-refugees course and after a ritual punch-up against landlubbers in Cobh, the 28-days-in-the-brig course....and don't even think of looking for leave for at least two years after your start date.
                              Ah, the real navy!
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X