Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogwatch
    replied
    Cougar Ace departs Unalaska Island, September 1, 2006.

Photo Credit: Unified Command Photo

Leave a comment:

• Dogwatch
    replied
    More pics of Cougar Ace

Leave a comment:

• Dogwatch
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    bridge wing on the Aoife looks very close to the water......can I ask how did they transfer the towing line....?

Just goes to show..you can train for every situation...but the weather is the only factor that you have no control over.

The lifeboat was used to pass the towline to the Breaksea. She wouldn't break her anchor cable, which meant the towline was put under immense strain and broke after about 6-7 hrs towing, but at that stage the vessel was out of danger.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Unless you are in the pool at NMCI that is. Someone has control over the weather there...

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    bridge wing on the Aoife looks very close to the water......can I ask how did they transfer the towing line....?

Just goes to show..you can train for every situation...but the weather is the only factor that you have no control over.

Leave a comment:

• Dogwatch
    replied
    Cougar Ace on 15 Aug 2006

Leave a comment:

• Dogwatch
    replied
    Successful conclusion of salvage operation

Recent photos of the salvage of the 'Cougar Ace' in Alaska.

As of late August 13, pumping operations have reduced the vessel list to about 18 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• Dogwatch
    replied
    Update on Cougar Ace

Photos of the Cougar Ace in Wide Bay, Aleutian Islands, where it was towed to by the Salvage team. One man has died after falling 80ft during the initial salvage inspection.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Fair point.

Leave a comment:

• Saracen
    replied
    Thanks for the update, Goldie Fish. As for the ETV's, unless the EU make it a requirement this Government won't charter a rowing boat. We don't even have a dedicated Cabinet Minister for the Marine ( its mixed up with a few other portfolios). We need at least two but that costs money and doesn't win votes! Bad combo....

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Your information is out of date Saracen.
    http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-hm...cue_assets.htm

Emergency Towing Vessels

The MCA has four Emergency Towing Vessels (ETVs) on charter, to provide emergency towing cover in those areas judged to be at higher risk from environmental damage as a result of the possible grounding of broken down vessels. The ETV's are stationed in the Fair Isle, Minches, South Western Approaches and the Dover Strait areas and are available 24 hours per day throughout the year. They are also equipped for firefighting.
    Never say never. Remember it wasn't long ago when Irish SAR was unable to operate at night, or more than 100 miles off our coast. If the many Private towing and salvage companies in Europe were given an incentive to provide ETV around our coasts, there would be no shortage of vessels being offered for the task. But until the government asks for such a service, nobody will provide it for free.

Leave a comment:

• Saracen
    replied
    No, the ILV Granualie does not have a tug capability but like most vessels, would be able to take another vessel under tow in extreme circumstances. As for the two dedicated vessels , never happen. Took the Brits 30 years and more than a couple of complete losses before they got their act together, and they only have two.

Leave a comment:

• Silver
    replied
    Does the Irish Lights vessel (Graine Uaile?) have the capability to operate as a tug vessel?

I agree that we should have two such dedicated vessels available regardless!

Will the powers-that-be ever realise that we are an island nation?!:confused:

Leave a comment:

• Stoker
    replied
    Great photos Dogwatch, darkness falling in the last photo showing how long a rescue can take. I've never been involved in atow, did the Lifeboat take the line across? where is the towing point on Aoife, how far ford from the stern?

Re Union Star, I saw the TV programme they were brave men, every thing went too late, all these minutes added up and they were on the rocks.
    The Skipper baulked at taking a tow because it was offered under " Lloyds open form". This would allow the tug owner to make a claim based on the value of the cargo and the cost of the ship, not on the hire of the tug. Understandable Shipowners are not to keen on this.
    As far as I remember the enquiry into the loss of the vessel found that water got into the fuel tanks through a vent which was either broken or not fitted properly,once they got a lot of water in to the fuel tanks,( even 5%) there was on way they were going to get the engines to run, with the ship tossing about they would'nt get the water out of the fuel, they probably did not know where the water was coming from. A tug ASAP or a passing warship was their only chance. I feel like an armchair general, easy to be wise in hindsight.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    The Coaster. I served on the sister ship of the Union Star, The Union Mars. It too was involved in a serious incident early in its life when its wheelhouse was hit by a freak wave, destroying it, thankfully without loss of life.
    Company policy was never to get involved in discussions about Penlee. They knew they ****ed up bad. There were reports that the crew refused to be rescued by the lifeboat, taking their chances on the star, oblivious to the danger she was in. Alcohol may have been a factor. I served on her in 1990, Mars was built in 1981. It was owned by Bromley shipping, also Trading as Union Transport. The UT ships flew an Irish Flag up to the late 90s. I can say that in my experience, safety aboard ship was not their strong point. While i worked for them there was 3 crew killed in shipboard accidents on various ships. I myself lost the skin on the palm of my hands due to chemical burns.(it grew back). That made my decision to leave the ship.

M.V Union Mars.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X