Recruiting 70's Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ex pat 007 View Post
    I have some army brochures from the early nineties and a pretty decent book (with a picture of a sgt in ods with a gpmg on the cover) , I'll see if I cant dig up the booklets when I get back.
    That sounds like the Defence Forces handbook (Mark II) that you are talking about. I hav that at home aswell. The first one was done a few years previously, with all the unit flashes on a centre spread (PDF and FCA).

With all the developments in the DF since the last handbook, I think it's time
    An Cosantóir did up a new one... :wink:

e.g; OG then DPM working dress, Development of the FCA, reorg to RDF
    etc etc...
    Last edited by FMolloy; 3 December 2006, 15:02.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

That Defence forces hand book mark two was issued in about 1987 if I remember correctly.Was a fairly good offering..pity the practise hasn't been repeated.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It is amazing how much they made of what was then a pretty pitiful force. It made you proud reading it, yet looking back on it, it was lots of smoke and mirrors.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          That Defence forces hand book mark two was issued in about 1987 if I remember correctly.Was a fairly good offering..pity the practise hasn't been repeated.
          That would be about right, as there was a feature on the new personal rifle on
          issue to the Defence Forces (the Steyr)
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Murph, Thanks for the memories....

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            It is amazing how much they made of what was then a pretty pitiful force. It made you proud reading it, yet looking back on it, it was lots of smoke and mirrors.
            I was involved (with a cast of hundreds) in making this brochure. At least I remember receiving a bollocking for parts of it, e.g.;

MM DSM's crooked cap ribbon.
            Sig on aldis lamp sleeves rolled up.
            Pusser's Arrows' on Binos, indicating RN issue.
            Hair down to arse on pretty well all hand and the cook (except recruits).
            Bollocking for own hair length sittting in unsuitable gear is sad genini (inflatable) with POS Johnson engine. Note state of red wetsuits which we used to share (pre aids era).

Note also the two cadets in GP14, later to die tragically in RTA.

All new personnel (inc. NSR) should be given a copy, to help them understand how far the NS has evolved. Also bear in mind that the 70/80's generation were light years ahead of the 60's service. I do, however, think that we had more fun then than now.

Regards
            JJ

Comment

Have an 80's FCA brochure lying around, will be scanned if I can find it...

edit: lets try this...

Last edited by Steamy Window; 4 December 2006, 00:51.
              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

An oldie and a goldie...had forgotten about that one thanks.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                  Have an 80's FCA brochure lying around, will be scanned if I can find it...

edit: lets try this...

Yes, think I have a copy of this at home somewhere.

The bloody 21st Inf Bn getting in the shots again, I see... :wink:

Comment

One wonders where they got the combats they are wearing....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      One wonders where they got the combats they are wearing....
                      It's not combats they're wearing as far as I can remember. It's not
                      overly clear from those scans, all the same.

It's working dress with the crappy "Ho Chi Minh" jackets....

Comment

Oh!!! theres a few sets of combats in there all right.....and obviously all the helmets were on loan. Theres a couple of faces still serving...lol.

Comment

Anyone else notice there werent any clear shots of the .303?

Comment

I spotted a GPMG in one photo, and I'm not talking about the one of the ADR. Interesting breakdown of firepower in a section, a belt fed machine gun supporting bolt action battle rifles.....

Comment

It happened..take the cav for instance..we trained on the MAG for the AMLs..but when it came to being dismountable element we used the BREN.

We used the .5 from the AML CS..but never got around to using it in the ground role.

I wnt on duty one morning with an PDF officer who had never mounted or dismounted a guard using FNs or gustavs..that was interesting.

Was mounted and dismounted by an engineering officer how was british by birth and had no clue to Irish word of command..all though the word bang did help him appreciate the intarcies of unloading and ease springs in the correct order...

life is just full of these little anomalies...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X