Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberty Launch

Remember one incident
    While waiting on a small pier somewhere in Kerry for the Liberty Launch , the Prez Paddy Hilary comes back from one of his golfing trips with him were the people he had played golf with.
    As we waited , we could see the Liberty Launch approach and I just passed a comment that I thought he was coming in a bit too fast
    As the bowman stood up on the bow toget ready to come alongside we were looking at the Cox`n of the Liberty Launch to see if he was going to slow or would he try the dramatic and throw it into reverse at the last second ( never a good move )
    Then a strange look came over his face as he held up his right hand and the throttle lever was in it , it had come off in his hand as he went to throw it in reverse .
    The Liberty Launch hit the pier , the poor bowman shot foward like he had been fired from a cannon and rolled across the pier landing at Paddy Hilarys feet
    As he tried to get himself together lying on the ground he looked up at the President .
    Paddy Hilary looking down at the poor bloke just said " That looked painful "

Throught all this Liberty Launch Cox`n had managed to get the throttle handle back on and stop the boat as we all looked at him he had the reddest head that I had ever seen on a Wexford twin ( clue to I.D. )
    As we got on board the Liberty Launch to go back to the ship a senior rate mech above P.O. said to the Cox`n " Seaman XXXXX just take us back to the ship , don`t try to shoot us through it "

We never let that seaman live it down
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Comment

• Know exactly who you are talking about...problem was trying to figure out which brother was which.one served on Deirdre the other on Eithne.Had a lucky escape in April 1988 when they rolled a car coming back from Carrigaline..a bright green toyota starlet.

Some guys would do anything to get out of a duty.

Damo remember the night we were on duty for Frankie Troys fiftieth birthday and the ceremonial life buoy fell over the side and we gave an hour trying to fish it out using heaving lines...just as his guest were leaving..you were DPO the same night..I was on QM..the buoy was caught betwee the ships side and the quay wall in the basin, took people ages to figure out why its was avery distinct oval sahpe the next day!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Damo remember the night we were on duty for Frankie Troys fiftieth birthday and the ceremonial life buoy fell over the side and we gave an hour trying to fish it out using heaving lines...just as his guest were leaving..you were DPO the same night..I was on QM..the buoy was caught betwee the ships side and the quay wall in the basin, took people ages to figure out why its was avery distinct oval sahpe the next day!
        I do indeed
        Not the only night , remember one night in Dun Laoughaire when a certain L/Tel after a skinful of beer wanted to see how far he could throw it across the harbour.
        The abuse that thing got over the years , beggers belief.

Comment

• What was the resteraunt/Cafe we used to frquent just down the street from the Harp Bar?

the had a sandwich board type sign out side the door. 'Able' and another I can't remember whom liberated it one night abd carried it down the south city quays to ship the ship. Left it at the gangway and was still there the next morning when the skipper arrived back.Later was deposited in Dublin harbour to get rid of the evidence.

Picture the scene..I'm on QM and all I can hear is cle..deas .. cle... deas... cle..stad....suihgih airm.!.and the two boys drop the sign and scurry up the gangway ,full to the gills, giggling away. Drill was perfect !
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            What was the resteraunt/Cafe we used to frquent just down the street from the Harp Bar?

the had a sandwich board type sign out side the door. 'Able' and another I can't remember whom liberated it one night abd carried it down the south city quays to ship the ship. Left it at the gangway and was still there the next morning when the skipper arrived back.Later was deposited in Dublin harbour to get rid of the evidence.

Picture the scene..I'm on QM and all I can hear is cle..deas .. cle... deas... cle..stad....suihgih airm.!.and the two boys drop the sign and scurry up the gangway ,full to the gills, giggling away. Drill was perfect !
            Another sign that found a home on Eithne
            Also the Rec space bar I remember the day the chippy made it & the wink and nod system that said " we need glasses for this thing " & hey presto after a night ashore glasses just like magic appeared there
            Aren`t miracles wonderful
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
              Keep what going ? :confused:

Guess who ?????????? :wink:
              Bloody Hell, Damo! Just seen it. Where did you get that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                Bloody Hell, Damo! Just seen it. Where did you get that?
                You gave it to me
                Got the whole set , you got them developed in Boston in Photo Quick film labs
                129 Pearl St & 45 Union St Boston
                At this moment you`re thinking " my god but his memory is good " :confused:

Not really just still have the sleeve they came in

Remember we dived in 2 groups , I dived in the first you in the second hence have no photos of me or 1st group , just you , A.K. & C.M. & Engineering officer whose name I cannot remember

Comment

• The Pub Grub sign was hanging outside the Daniel O Connell pub O Connell Street Dublin . It just fell into my arms as I passed under it , how could that happen ? .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

You gave it to me
                    Got the whole set , you got them developed in Boston in Photo Quick film labs
                    129 Pearl St & 45 Union St Boston
                    At this moment you`re thinking " my god but his memory is good " :confused:

Not really just still have the sleeve they came in

Remember we dived in 2 groups , I dived in the first you in the second hence have no photos of me or 1st group , just you , A.K. & C.M. & Engineering officer whose name I cannot remember
                    Now I recall something. I had a Nikon underwater camera for the trip Nikonis 5 ? Oh yes, the EO was Mick Boyle.

Would you know any thing about this pic?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Test Pilot; 30 July 2009, 19:10.

Comment

Now I recall something. I had a Nikon underwater camera for the trip Nikonis 5 ? Oh yes, the EO was Mick Boyle.

"Would you like to buy a bit of carpet boss?"

Comment

Spot on Mick Boyle
                        When some-one says it then I remember

About pic
                        I could be totally wrong but that never stopped me
                        In the early 80`s a garda was diving with a civie diving club
                        they came upon a wreck WW1 if memories serve me
                        While exploring same noticed a lot of shells on the sea bed ( the bang your dead type )
                        They got out of there & reported same
                        The diving unit was sent there to blow it all up
                        Can you remember what ship you took photo from as I seem to remember 2 ships being sent with divers ( Emer & Aoife )
                        Just remember there being a lot of divers present as we had to map out & locate wreck &
                        all shells
                        Its the blue box that makes me think of this as we used something like that for carrying detonators & fuses ect,ect.

Comment

• Wreck of the Querba

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                          Spot on Mick Boyle

Querba

Diving ops circa 88/89/90.

Comment

• The Pub Grub sign was hanging outside the Daniel O Connell pub O Connell Street Dublin . It just fell into my arms as I passed under it , how could that happen ?

**** me..another sign......trend setters

Comment

Spot on Mick Boyle
                              When some-one says it then I remember

About pic
                              I could be totally wrong but that never stopped me
                              While exploring same noticed a lot of shells on the sea bed ( the bang your dead type )
                              They got out of there & reported same
                              The diving unit was sent there to blow it all up
                              Can you remember what ship you took photo from as I seem to remember 2 ships being sent with divers ( Emer & Aoife )
                              Just remember there being a lot of divers present as we had to map out & locate wreck &
                              all shells
                              Its the blue box that makes me think of this as we used something like that for carrying detonators & fuses ect,ect.
                              Yes , you are quite correct. The Divers were KM and B C. I took the picture from the Blasket itself. I recall the dive team was there for quite some time and had taken over one of the old cottages on the Island as a base.

One 'talented' guy PG, painted a mural over the fireplace. I took a picture of it about a year later.

I'll see if I can fine it!

Comment

Yes , you are quite correct. The Divers were KM and B C. I took the picture from the Blasket itself. I recall the dive team was there for quite some time and had taken over one of the old cottages on the Island as a base.

One 'talented' guy PG, painted a mural over the fireplace. I took a picture of it about a year later.

I'll see if I can fine it!
                                Yeah I couldn`t forget them 2
                                Did my ships diver course with them
                                Did the SAR course with KM
                                See if you can find photo would love to see it

Comment

Working...
                                X