No announcement yet.

Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murph, I think the cabin No. was 512, but I may be wrong, memory is not what it used to be.

Comment

Well 245 was the first to land on the Eithne back in 1985.

Comment

Very unique photo in that it carries the manufacturers logo and the french test reg.

Nice one Alan..keep them coming
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          Very unique photo in that it carries the manufacturers logo and the french test reg.

Nice one Alan..keep them coming
          Ah Lads! come on now! With the greatest of respect to my learned ex colleagues. Al's photo is in fact the third landing. What a lot of people are not aware of, is that the first landing took place in Verolme Cork Dockyard, BEFORE the ship was handed over to the navy. The purpose was to ensure that she would FIT into the hanger and to test the recovery gear. When she landed she had no winch gear in place. This was fitted on the deck after they had folded the blades back for her first entry to the hanger. That was in December 1984. (I just happened to be up the mast).

The second landing was in a different livery. She was just in yelow primer!

The third landing, as in Al's photo has the reg F-ZKB below the door, and the Aerospatiale name on the engine casing, but no logo. The logo on the door aludes to 'Brendan the navigator'.
          Attached Files

Comment

The first landing was also not by an Irish Dauphin.(or one that later became Irish) F-WZJD is a 365N that was converted to "F".

Irish Dauphins Had the Ser No.6124(244/F-ZKBZ),6168(245/F-ZKBJ),6181(246/F-ZKBP),6202(247/F-ZKGW),and 6203(248)

F-WYMF is an Aerospatiale in-House reg. It isn't recorded as having been used on any of the Irish Dauphins.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Oh Boy the Nostalgia is getting really out of hand.

Brilliant photos real archive material.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF View Post
                Well 245 was the first to land on the Eithne back in 1985.

This one had been previously on display at the Paris Air Show , hence the the various logos on the aircraft and the Irish Air Corps where the first customers for the Dauphin .
                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

When I said the first Dauphin to land on Eithne, I meant of the first Irish pioleted one.

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    This one had been previously on display at the Paris Air Show , hence the the various logos on the aircraft and the Irish Air Corps where the first customers for the Dauphin .
                    jesus laners - we believe you go on tell us you served the first dinner to the crew before any helo landed and who was served first????

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                      jesus laners - we believe you go on tell us you served the first dinner to the crew before any helo landed and who was served first????
                      now a ten marker which cabin was the first session held in..

Comment

The first and only customers of the SA365Fi!

Test Pilot I presume (hope) they had planned that the Dauphin would actually fit in the hanger, but nothing surprises me anymore!
                        Last edited by DeV; 18 December 2007, 17:30.

Comment

According to some of the more knowledgeable heads here, the drawings had a lynx in there.
                          Meh.

Comment

First real session was on our first full day in Lorient. We had being to the Supermarket, stocked up on plenty of beer and wine, gone to the Pub and awoke with severe hangovers.

It started in my cabin, can not remember the number was down beside the Tel's cabin back then, then went up one deck to Ray Comefords cabin and ended up in Mick Kelly's. The pictures before are evidence of this.

I also remember one member of the crew had got themselves a male sex toy (a vibrating vagina) and tried it out without any lubricant as he was not aware that he needed any and the instructions on the toy were in French. Needless to say this person was walking funny for a few days.

Comment

Moggy the day that we took possesion of the ship we had roast beef for dinner and the Officer of the day was a certain Flight Deck Officer . Who remembers our hasty departure from Verlome before the receiver arrived and and our arrival at the base with tug boats in attendance because the engines kept shutting down , and the reaction from the Flag Officer concerning the mothly looking crew membrs dressed in Donkey jackets and various other non issue clothing on the deck of his new flag ship as it arrived at the base without any ceremony . Even I got mentioned in dispatches as the" COOK ON DECK " .
                              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Moggy the day that we took possesion of the ship we had roast beef for dinner and the Officer of the day was a certain Flight Deck Officer . Who remembers our hasty departure from Verlome before the receiver arrived and and our arrival at the base with tug boats in attendance because the engines kept shutting down , and the reaction from the Flag Officer concerning the mothly looking crew membrs dressed in Donkey jackets and various other non issue clothing on the deck of his new flag ship as it arrived at the base without any ceremony . Even I got mentioned in dispatches as the" COOK ON DECK " .
                                Thats spot on, Laners! Thats what happened. The ship was tied up at the oil warf and when it came to move her to the basin, there were rumblings as to who or how it was to be moved. 'Boxcar Willie', trooped down to the oil warf without any ceremony, and said 'Right lets go' ( in the usual deep and gruff voice) and moved it to the basin, plonked it alongside as if he did it all his life, and without any fuss and off he went without a word.

Pic shows Eithne under tow on her maiden voyage. The Brandon tug was on the st.bd side.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Test Pilot; 18 December 2007, 21:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X