No announcement yet.

Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The others are Sean Leonard, Mick ( I think that was his first name) Smullen and Martin Walkin

Comment

• Originally posted by moonstomper View Post
      The others are Sean Leonard, Mick ( I think that was his first name) Smullen and Martin Walkin
      Can't for the life of me remember Haggis's real name. I wonder was 'Haggis' mentioned in his passport

Comment

• Cormac MacDermott, I seem to remember.

Took a car in to be serviced in a garage in North London about 15 years ago and Haggis was working there. God knows if he's still there.

Comment

• Took a car in to be serviced in a garage in North London about 15 years ago and Haggis was working there. God knows if he's still there.
          And what about the car...did you collect it or is it still there?
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            And what about the car...did you collect it or is it still there?
            Or was it taken apart entirely!

Comment

• It still worked after the service anyway. An A/Mechs course, if there was such a thing, obviously prepared you for anything.

Loved the fatigues photo by the way TP. I'd forgotten what a scruffy lot we were.

Comment

• Originally posted by moonstomper View Post
                It still worked after the service anyway. An A/Mechs course, if there was such a thing, obviously prepared you for anything.

Loved the fatigues photo by the way TP. I'd forgotten what a scruffy lot we were.
                Yes, I seem to recall that after the first wash they shrank, so it was impossible to do up the buttons on the fly. Most of the bods went around for years with the flys open and trousers at half mast.

Comment

• Who is the guy sitting next to Ben Egan in the white shirt looking right at the camera?

Comment

• Nice to see the initiation of 'removing the epaulettes' had been carried out..

Great tradition young shiney O/S first day aboard caught by either shoulder...'what do you need them for you'll never have anything to put on them...ripppppp!!!'

remember the shirts that were prone to fade at different rates in the wash..ended up like a patch work quilt.

Everything was washed on board in giant industrial sized washing machines.. one wash all colours ..boil wash..everything you owned came out a subtle light blue.If you ran out of washing powder you went on the scrounge..fabric conditioner ..lol..if there was no washing powder a cup of 'suggee' did the same thing...but pulling a 'bird' was a non runner until after the next wash as you smelt of the stuff..which was less than pleasant,

but at least we had washing machines..on ships at least.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
                      Who is the guy sitting next to Ben Egan in the white shirt looking right at the camera?
                      CPO Frank Durnan, from Derry. Great guy. The chap on the left was an electrician, but I've forgotten his name.

Comment

• Ahh, right. The name escaped me. So Larry was ashore with a full contingent of the black gang! Must have been no "pirates" to go ashore with.

Comment

• An old view of the Dauphin cockpit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• dont let charlie fly that thing we were screaming.... the pilot was a nice guy and got on well with everyone cant remember his name

Comment

• GTTC will know...

Comment

• Pilot in question is Lt.Col. J.P.Kelly.....left helis and went to Ryanair late eighties early nineties.
                                Clocked up many hrs with him,he bounced me off many a deck

Regards!

Comment

Working...
                                X