Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to suss out your identity to see have we any sca on you or you on me

Comment

• Thanks lads. Unfortunately I've no sca on you G.R. (Faughny?). And hopefully you won't have too much on me....

Comment

• Back in 1987 when were working with the Army and guards dropping them to secluded islands off the west coast the boats crews on Eithne got paid danger money, a pittance but think we were one of the first to be awarded such. While all other around us were armed to the teeth we had but our trusty Seamans Knives and put boarding parties into strange places, Found **** all but apart from Routine FP it was one of the most intensive ops I was on.

I was Damos bowman for one set of boardings but my recent back injury came back to haunt me and had wait until the next day to go out with Shim sham to continue the job..went out with damo the next day and we broke the boat, blew the head gasket and limped back to ship. Challenging times but a fantastic crew. Popeye was the right man in the right place and took no shit from the gardai and army and new the limitations of his men and our abilities. We never once failed us when it came to putting senior ranks outside the NS, in their place supported his boats crews fully and never flinched at putting us in the forefront.

After this he was one of those characters you new who wouldn't back down and if he believed we could do it volunteered us. Got us some shitty details but always got us the frontline ones as well.

We got to meet some very interesting people as result of the configuration of the ship.

the french army, the us coast guard, the ARW and the Indian navy all looking at aspects of what we did. Tough but fair with some idiosincrasies but always believed in his mens capabilities.Dropped few howlers also but wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Mallard was the only time I was specifically on anti Terrorist ops and it certainly increased the adrenalin rush. 6 weeks of no sleep . Boats all day and rushed meals, very intensive, We lost the Garda Support and Army support after the first few days as they couldn't handle the sea sickness and jumping ladders in to seariders was something they never mastered so we carried on regardless buy we found nothing but the fact we tried under severe conditions meant we had at least tried.

Yeah while it was fruitless ,a lot a lessons learned under operational conditions but wouldn't have missed it for the world and two fires on board to top it all off.How bad
        Last edited by hptmurphy; 4 July 2009, 23:52. Reason: usual half asleep spelling mistakes
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• this day 23 years ago on duty at anchor new york with one of the greatest bunch of lunatics ever put together... happy days

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
            this day 23 years ago on duty at anchor new york with one of the greatest bunch of lunatics ever put together... happy days
            23 years ago happy days eithne now heading to boston here we go again what is this the 4th us trip??

Comment

this day 23 years ago on duty at anchor new york with one of the greatest bunch of lunatics ever put together... happy days
              On duty as Liberty Launch Cox`n 4th July 1986..... hap,hap,happy days
              Attached Files
              What do you mean abandon ship
              Are they taking requests?

Comment

• the new lads would be in a heap trying to drive one of them damo... is it just boston eithne is going to..

Comment

the new lads would be in a heap trying to drive one of them damo... is it just boston eithne is going to..
                  no philly as well nice trip

Comment

the new lads would be in a heap trying to drive one of them damo... is it just boston eithne is going to..
                    I remember that day as if it was yesterday, spent the whole day in the Liberty Launch bringing V.I.P.s to Eithne & other ships for the massive fireworks display

Moggy quick question
                    "would the Eithne bring passengers on trip , would be willing to do a couple of steering watches & maby some light mopping :wink:"

Comment

• Moggy quick question
                      "would the Eithne bring passengers on trip , would be willing to do a couple of steering watches & maby some light mopping "
                      which is alot more than passengers did in the past!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        which is alot more than passengers did in the past!
                        dont honestly know but i would imagine there are a couple of joe walsh people on board
                        i am kinda surprised that they are going concerning the budget etc

Comment

• Eithne crew with Prez

Just found this
                          HPT will give any-one who wants to know the correct date
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                            Just found this
                            keep it going damo

Comment

• Originally posted by moggy View Post
                              keep it going damo
                              Keep what going ? :confused:

Guess who ?????????? :wink:
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Just found this
                                Attached Images
                                File Type: jpg Eithne crew with President.jpg (263.9 KB, 34 views)
                                Friday 2nd October 1987 having spent a week bring Paddy Hilary around the coast ona jolly stopping off too play golf in various locations. Bastard of a week as each time on the bridge had to ne in No 2s..and Hilleray was pissed every night. One one night in particular Popeye to tod him to '**** off his bridge' as he was pissed.

Second night was when we went to anchor in Arklow bay to drink the beer he had sent down to the ratings rec,,he stuck his head in the door and was told to **** off back up to the ward room by damo..which of course he did.

Bedlam later broke out on the Orlop deck with the Officer9 Seamus Gallagher) of the watch being warned not to go down there less he become a victim of the shennanigans, I was ripped out of my slepping back..had my jocks riped off me and covered in Jif..this was minor in comparrison to Paul Numan being dragged through the vent in the cabin door stripped and covered in various cleaning substances..the ring leader...Damo

just an average night of R & R on Eithne in the Eighties..no harm done

Comment

Working...
                                X