No announcement yet.

Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now for flashback time damo ..colm had an incident one time with a dog in a park..!!!

Comment

• colm had an incident one time with a dog in a park..!!

Didn't we all...that little park with the bus shelter in Dunlaoigre was a real nightmare.....many the poor you sailor was lured in there and defiled by the local monsters of the deep.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Didn't we all...that little park with the bus shelter in Dunlaoigre was a real nightmare.....many the poor you sailor was lured in there and defiled by the local monsters of the deep.
        I thought your sea monster came from Galway.....
        What do you mean abandon ship
        Are they taking requests?

Comment

• Found this on Twitter. Faces familiar to some.

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            Found this on Twitter. Faces familiar to some.

These were times of common effort between Navy and Airside who were also present on the trip. In addition to Sean O', I see the future Ph.D Dr M Martin and also the now retired Inspector of Shannon Navigation Charles Lawn ( brown leather jacket) I also note in Fairisle the PO/Comms, and beside Sean O' the RRM. Unfortunately when the aircraft were finally delivered marine options were diminished until expunged by those tasked to provide air capability at sea.

Comment

• Great thread.

The guy who does the murals - is he an artist now - if its the same person we got one of his prints as a wedding present
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                Found this on Twitter. Faces familiar to some.

The first landing on board Eithne took place while the ship was alongside at the shipyard in Rushbrook . I remember it being a very chilly and frosty morning .
                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                  The first landing on board Eithne took place while the ship was alongside at the shipyard in Rushbrook . I remember it being a very chilly and frosty morning .
                  Afaik the ship left VCD 4th November 1984. She had an immediate breakdown, after letting go, requiring emergency anchor, tug and a tow to Oil wharf NB.
                  Things were soon mended followed by getting to know you trips. Deck environmental checks were carried out by a French navy trials team. The ship then went to L'Orient and was initially trialed using a tubular steel mock-up of Dauphin dimensions, up and down the deck and in and out of the Hangar. This was followed by day time trials with the real Heli piloted by ex-French Navy Captain pilot. The ship returned to Naval Base and later did the full night trials with a delivered Helicopter on the east Coast opposite Baldonnel. The trials pilot was the same Navy Captain. I don't recall any other earlier landings.

Comment

• There is a photo of it , taken at the time by the P/O Elec / unofficial photographer , a manufacturers chopper with French pilots .The pilots wore pretty sharp looking leather jackets, one of which I hoped to barter for ( to no avail ) .
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by spider View Post
                      Great thread.

The guy who does the murals - is he an artist now - if its the same person we got one of his prints as a wedding present
                      Philip Gray... 'Tarzan'.. was the First PO Gunner on Eithne
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                        These were times of common effort between Navy and Airside who were also present on the trip. In addition to Sean O', I see the future Ph.D Dr M Martin and also the now retired Inspector of Shannon Navigation Charles Lawn ( brown leather jacket) I also note in Fairisle the PO/Comms, and beside Sean O' the RRM. Unfortunately when the aircraft were finally delivered marine options were diminished until expunged by those tasked to provide air capability at sea.
                        SPO Dusty was Ted ' The Red' Bradley , since deceased and in one of the other photos. John Mcnamara who died tragically soon afterward and not forgetting the PO Mech Peter Courtney who was a member on this forum at one point..lovely guy.

The owner of the photos being the late Sean O'Brien.
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 13 November 2018, 15:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          Afaik the ship left VCD 4th November 1984. She had an immediate breakdown, after letting go, requiring emergency anchor, tug and a tow to Oil wharf NB.
                          Things were soon mended followed by getting to know you trips. Deck environmental checks were carried out by a French navy trials team. The ship then went to L'Orient and was initially trialed using a tubular steel mock-up of Dauphin dimensions, up and down the deck and in and out of the Hangar. This was followed by day time trials with the real Heli piloted by ex-French Navy Captain pilot. The ship returned to Naval Base and later did the full night trials with a delivered Helicopter on the east Coast opposite Baldonnel. The trials pilot was the same Navy Captain. I don't recall any other earlier landings.
                          We're you not there?!
                          Mr. Morrissy (RIP) was the pilot, late of Scott Shipping..... gent of a man.

Comment

• Had photos of the dauphin from the French trials in the old gallery for this website. Anyone know how to access it now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
                              We're you not there?!
                              Mr. Morrissy (RIP) was the pilot, late of Scott Shipping..... gent of a man.
                              The pilots referred to, were flying trials with the Dauphin Helicopter prior to assumption of that duty by the AC. Don't ever remember a harbour POB except on a trip with a Class of Senior Officers from a French Acadamie taken on a trip from NB to Kennedy Quay and back to NB with no pilot for the return trip. VCD had their own Captain and a harbour pilot during the Hand Over trials periods.
                              Last edited by ancientmariner; 14 November 2018, 10:57.

Comment

• You 'll get them on some of the Facebook pages. They have some great archive photos. The official ones are good. The unofficial ones even better

Comment

Working...
                                X