Aoife 1982 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
    LT MICK BOYLE LT BUCKLEY...NIALL DUNNE.WILLIE FORTUNE JAFFA THE COOK NO BOBBIN ON HAT . THE LAD ON THE LEFT GOT( ironed) on the ship one time!!!!
    He did, and 'Iron head' as he was known thereafter, was chased around the ship by Iggy with a sword, which he bought in Spain, and was followed by the Coxn, 'Paaaady', who tried to recover the sword. What a ship that was!
    What was the medics name in the range photo?
    Test Pilot
    2/Lt
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 31 December 2007, 20:13.

Comment

Removed by Owner
      Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2008, 10:24. Reason: Removed by Owner

Comment

Hi there
        Lads, I have to pass the baton of scruffiest Military force from the Donners of my time to the NS...it looks like a bunch of S.American bandidos...Imagine, there's men there with much more hair than the average Donner had and we were experts at keeping long hair under the beret...the fella in the dufflecoat looks like he was rejected from The Clash...sandals, runners, civvy jackets....Donners, hang your hats up, we have been soundly trashed by the Irish Naval Service (St Vincent De Paul branch).
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF View Post
          I remember the night that the picture of Aoife was taken. I was on QM that night and would have been 1981.
          I bet all the lights attracted some trollops...

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
            He did, and 'Iron head' as he was known thereafter, was chased around the ship by Iggy with a sword, which he bought in Spain, and was followed by the Coxn, 'Paaaady', who tried to recover the sword. What a ship that was!
            What was the medics name in the range photo?
            as mousey used to say to him you dont need a helmet on guard you have a built in one,,

Comment

Hi there
              Lads, I have to pass the baton of scruffiest Military force from the Donners of my time to the NS...it looks like a bunch of S.American bandidos...Imagine, there's men there with much more hair than the average Donner had and we were experts at keeping long hair under the beret...the fella in the dufflecoat looks like he was rejected from The Clash...sandals, runners, civvy jackets....Donners, hang your hats up, we have been soundly trashed by the Irish Naval Service (St Vincent De Paul branch).
              And if you think that's bad you should have seen a minesweeper crew. I remember going to the range with Grainne and there probably wasn't two people dressed alike in the whole crew!

When I went to the Leb I was really struck by the difference between the Army and Naval Service ethos. On a ship, in particular, the officers left you alone to do your job and rarely bothered much about matters of dress or kit, unless there was an inspection in the offing. Provided everything was clean and tidy nobody bothered. Anyone who didn't turn up for duties would have to face the other members of their division who'd get caught instead, and that was a more serious prospect than a bollocking from an officer. So there was more opportunity for.......individualism, you might call it.
              Goldie fish
              Tim Horgan
              Last edited by Goldie fish; 31 December 2007, 23:02.

Comment

Removed by Owner

Comment

The naval service was often referred to as the Cinderella of the Defence forces back then. Who was to blame really? HQ was in Dublin, only time the Flag saw the place was when he popped down for a comissioning. Those beneath him were just waiting for him to move aside so they could take his job. The fact that the senior officers were Corvette veterans and all that went with that possibly didn't help either. To the Civil servants cossetted in Parkgate(and nowhere else, unlike today) they were more concerned with moving piles of papers from one stack to another, and spending as little as possible in the process.

In the 70s Second hand ships, and when we finally got a new one, Irish Shipping insisted on being part of the design process, even though they knew less about building ships than the navy did.

I wonder what will those future seamen say about the Navy of the 90s and 00s?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The spit and polish was there when required. I remember GHQ inspection when everybody was immaculate but nobody ever seemed to have a camera.

I remember the liberty boat Cox'n from Emer in 1986 having to drop the visiting brass between ships..pity somebody had fed hima dose of laxitives before hand...and the bloody paint wasn't dry on the boat.. few grey arses around the place and the fastest trip in a liberty boat anybody ever had!

In 1988 we had work up for exercises and the ships captains had to be dropped to Aoife I think.... we had a searider and every one else had geminis..unfortuneatley while the searider had the greater speed the acceleration was poor to say the least, and having dropped the OC at the acomm ladder the searider came under fire from the upperdecks... jesus those spuds were hard... think the skipper made his own way back as we weren't running that gauntlet of spuds again...me and 'Shim Sham' Lynch
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Removed by Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                        Cook Paul Stapleton, Chippy Jim O'Connell, Cook Billy lahive, Kevin Mahon, Billy lahive again? CPO frank Durnan, O/SEA Jimmy Dowdall. 1982 in Beirut. Where are they now? No idea.
                        Well cook Paul Stapleton is alive and kicking
                        Darkvader

Comment

Here is one of my prize possessions from Aoife, a little piece of History. I remember that at the time all the ships got mugs like this one, but not sure many have survived.

Alan

alan put them on ebay ha ha

Comment

Here is one of my prize possessions from Aoife, a little piece of History. I remember that at the time all the ships got mugs like this one, but not sure many have survived.

Alan

Ha, I totally have two of those mugs in my cupboard. I always use them. Never got one off any other ship though.

Comment

what a trip ? is there any more photos out there of the trip
                              Darkvader

Comment

Hallo Gents, I just recently joined the forum when I spotted this thread, with regards the Aoife, I believe she was scheduled to make a courtesy visit to the Romanian Port of Constansa, on the Black Sea last year, I was sent an invite to my home in Transylvania being ex-Defence Forces to go and visit the ship and meet the crew, from the Irish Embassy in Bucharest, I live on the west side of the country so its about 18 - 24 hours to go by train from my home to Constansa, at the last minute, about an hour before I headed for the train, I was contacted to say the visit had been cancelled unexpectedly, seems there was a rumour going around on the net that the Turkish would not let the ship sail in their waters through the Bosperous as no application had been made!!!
                                So they had to spend an extra week in Malta!!
                                Does anybody know if the ship will make an attempt this year (2008) hopefully with all the correct paperwork and red-tape sorted

Connaught Stranger, In Transylvania, where the Garlic Roses Grow!!

Comment

Working...
                                X