• Show
Clear All
    YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    Retired

• YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
    Some of Moggy's hang outs and crew!
    Holy jeez, the old Hagenuk gear and the telex machine. I was on Aoife for their half life refit in 96 or so...two weeks left after six months of a refit and all we had in the MCO was a bench and the two EIYM wooden blocks for either side of the portholes! We actually went out on a day trip on trials with just a new Skanti VHF and a 77 set.

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
    Ha, I totally have two of those mugs in my cupboard. I always use them. Never got one off any other ship though.
    Ah, found it! here is my cup!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Some of Moggy's hang outs and crew!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    Commander

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    Hallo Gents, I just recently joined the forum when I spotted this thread, with regards the Aoife, I believe she was scheduled to make a courtesy visit to the Romanian Port of Constansa, on the Black Sea last year, I was sent an invite to my home in Transylvania being ex-Defence Forces to go and visit the ship and meet the crew, from the Irish Embassy in Bucharest, I live on the west side of the country so its about 18 - 24 hours to go by train from my home to Constansa, at the last minute, about an hour before I headed for the train, I was contacted to say the visit had been cancelled unexpectedly, seems there was a rumour going around on the net that the Turkish would not let the ship sail in their waters through the Bosperous as no application had been made!!!
    So they had to spend an extra week in Malta!!
    Does anybody know if the ship will make an attempt this year (2008) hopefully with all the correct paperwork and red-tape sorted

Connaught Stranger, In Transylvania, where the Garlic Roses Grow!!
    Could start a ballhop - add in a few other countries

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by darkvader View Post
    what a trip ? is there any more photos out there of the trip
    Darkvader
    Stand by One! I have to dig them out.

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    bosun

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanF View Post
    I remember when these mugs first appeared. Everyone laughed. But today 25 years on their sentimental value makes them valuable and I would rather guess that the people who sailed on the ships who had these mugs would like very much to own one.

May be some Business Tycoon could get a memorabilia thing going.

AlanF
    as they say in thailand I give you five dollar for mug

Leave a comment:

• AlanF
    Guest replied
    Removed by Owner
    Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2008, 10:25. Reason: Removed by Owner

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
    Ha, I totally have two of those mugs in my cupboard. I always use them. Never got one off any other ship though.
    Feck it! I've none!

Leave a comment:

• Connaught Stranger
    Lt Colonel

• Connaught Stranger
    replied
    Hallo Gents, I just recently joined the forum when I spotted this thread, with regards the Aoife, I believe she was scheduled to make a courtesy visit to the Romanian Port of Constansa, on the Black Sea last year, I was sent an invite to my home in Transylvania being ex-Defence Forces to go and visit the ship and meet the crew, from the Irish Embassy in Bucharest, I live on the west side of the country so its about 18 - 24 hours to go by train from my home to Constansa, at the last minute, about an hour before I headed for the train, I was contacted to say the visit had been cancelled unexpectedly, seems there was a rumour going around on the net that the Turkish would not let the ship sail in their waters through the Bosperous as no application had been made!!!
    So they had to spend an extra week in Malta!!
    Does anybody know if the ship will make an attempt this year (2008) hopefully with all the correct paperwork and red-tape sorted

Connaught Stranger, In Transylvania, where the Garlic Roses Grow!!

Leave a comment:

• darkvader
    Recruit

• darkvader
    replied
    what a trip ? is there any more photos out there of the trip
    Darkvader

Leave a comment:

• YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    Retired

• YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    replied
    Here is one of my prize possessions from Aoife, a little piece of History. I remember that at the time all the ships got mugs like this one, but not sure many have survived.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    Commander

• moggy
    replied
    Here is one of my prize possessions from Aoife, a little piece of History. I remember that at the time all the ships got mugs like this one, but not sure many have survived.

Alan

alan put them on ebay ha ha

Leave a comment:

• darkvader
    Recruit

• darkvader
    replied
    Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
    Cook Paul Stapleton, Chippy Jim O'Connell, Cook Billy lahive, Kevin Mahon, Billy lahive again? CPO frank Durnan, O/SEA Jimmy Dowdall. 1982 in Beirut. Where are they now? No idea.
    Well cook Paul Stapleton is alive and kicking
    Darkvader

Leave a comment:

• AlanF
    Guest replied
    Removed by Owner
    Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2008, 10:24. Reason: Removed by Owner

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    The spit and polish was there when required. I remember GHQ inspection when everybody was immaculate but nobody ever seemed to have a camera.

I remember the liberty boat Cox'n from Emer in 1986 having to drop the visiting brass between ships..pity somebody had fed hima dose of laxitives before hand...and the bloody paint wasn't dry on the boat.. few grey arses around the place and the fastest trip in a liberty boat anybody ever had!

In 1988 we had work up for exercises and the ships captains had to be dropped to Aoife I think.... we had a searider and every one else had geminis..unfortuneatley while the searider had the greater speed the acceleration was poor to say the least, and having dropped the OC at the acomm ladder the searider came under fire from the upperdecks... jesus those spuds were hard... think the skipper made his own way back as we weren't running that gauntlet of spuds again...me and 'Shim Sham' Lynch

Leave a comment:

Working...
X