Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grainne could cramp your style

LE Grainne 1984

Note. Mick Kelly, starting to think he was the Navy's answer to Forrest Gump, turning up everywhere.

Remember these conditions? Only people who served on the Sweepers could and although very cramped and old were the best ships to serve on.

For those who never had the chance to be onboard one of these tubs, the guy's sitting on the inside are on a bunk, so if you were resting off, dinner time was a pain.

I am also posting some pictures from the past to the gallery here, already put up Richard Bransons refueling stop with LE Aisling back in 1986.

These are real blast from the past...living history
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I wonder if in years to come, others will look back in disgust at the idea of up to four people having to share a cabin?
      Even the RN have put an end to the messdecking idea.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

whats Mess Decking

or is it a private activity carried out at sea when the barrel is full
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          These are real blast from the past...living history
          it was rough .. first up best dressed,, that looks like Bob kelly.in the second picture nearest the camera,R.I.P...
          Last edited by golden rivet; 13 December 2007, 22:32.

Comment

No, honkey.
            Mess decking is the practice of the crew on a warship sleeping and eating in the same place.

Mess deck on HMS Belfast.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Bob Kelly, the Seaman, served on Emer? If so thats not him.

Is this is the Bob Kelly you are thinking about, don't tell me he died.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                I wonder if in years to come, others will look back in disgust at the idea of up to four people having to share a cabin?
                Even the RN have put an end to the messdecking idea.
                We shared a small four berth cabin on the Orla and Ciara for years. Great fun, but not the worst. There were two eleven berths on the lower deck and they were cramped!

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                  We shared a small four berth cabin on the Orla and Ciara for years. Great fun, but not the worst. There were two eleven berths on the lower deck and they were cramped!
                  ah the smell of feet in the morning, and the way the bosun might look at you.. we would survive anywhere..

Comment

now we all know where the smell was coming from - the seamens mess - even with the builkhead partition things counld get very tight and smelly

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                      now we all know where the smell was coming from - the seamens mess - even with the builkhead partition things counld get very tight and smelly
                      that was the fola as for the grainne it was spotless you mean the executive branch moggy

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                        that was the fola as for the grainne it was spotless you mean the executive branch moggy
                        I'm led to believe that there was no problem with 'call the hands'. Just one fart and the bunk space was cleared!

Comment

I'm led to believe that there was no problem with 'call the hands'. Just one fart and the bunk space was cleared!
                          the old system for sending signals to the bridge was a small 20mm shell on a rope (high tech) but one tel used to shout up to the bridge that a signal was on the way he would then duly cock his ass to the voice pipe fart and the officer on the bridge would recieve a different signal,, happy days..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                            the old system for sending signals to the bridge was a small 20mm shell on a rope (high tech) but one tel used to shout up to the bridge that a signal was on the way he would then duly cock his ass to the voice pipe fart and the officer on the bridge would recieve a different signal,, happy days..

Yes I remember something similar in the mess after a big session. Farting competitions. A lighter was used to see who could make the biggest flame!

Comment

Yes I remember something similar in the mess after a big session. Farting competitions. A lighter was used to see who could make the biggest flame!
                              life was a laugh every day on the sweepers as the close confines meant no escape to a cabin so even a quiet guy got involved and a sweeper crew stuck together and looked after each other

Comment

Working...
                              X