No announcement yet.

Let the Stories Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time as guard commander.. was a bag with a PDF guard.. some one tried to pull a fast one and never had looked up my CV.. turns up I was doing guards when they were being concieved.. and that was only the OOD.. Corporal I don't know how to dismount using the FN..Sir would you like to have me teach you?... should I show you the Steyr as well?

Like to hear the one about the guard commander who had the barrel of the gustaf removed and the OOD never coped on?

The one about the guy who was handed over to the guard commadner after being arrested by the GS....for child molestation....allegedlly....wonder he made it through the night!

Alan F.. your mate Johnny Brit was great to go on guard with as he loved #2 beat ...alone all night...
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
      Way before your time..
      Meh.... I still remember finding the big old pennies occasionally - I'm not that young!
      Meh.

Comment

Removed by Owner
        Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2008, 11:26. Reason: Removed by Owner

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF View Post
          On Guard over on Spike Island 1983, Blue Alert, few days before Christmas, I was due to head home on leave the following day before Christmas Eve.

In those days Guard Duty on Spike was 1 in 3 which was pretty tough.

During the Blue Alert a second beat was set up on over the main gate to the fort. No shelter what so ever and on the highest point on the Island. I was on this beat freezing cold, feet like blocks of ice. I decided to sit down on the ground and use one of the pillars to shield me from the wind, next thing I knew was that the OOD and DPO were beside me. Needless to say I was relived from duty and put under close service custody arrest.

Next morning I found myself on the mat. The CO heard the evidence from both OOD and DPO. My excuse was flimsy to say the least but because the charge was asleep whilst on duty and neither the OOD or DPO could prove it I got off Scot free.

Have to admit to this day I am amazed that I did not do time in the Digger for that one.
          a spooky spot did standard course there, some areas at night did have a presence there whether people believe or not spike would change your mind as a lot of people died there as in fact it was a concentration camp for people awaiting deportation

Comment

HI GR
            I've done a few beats in places where the hair on the back of the neck stood on end the whole time.Something was there and good oul instinct was reacting.Ft Davis' gate post is one chilly spot,mentally and physically.
            Goldie, she wasn't the only one to try it on and rarely did they succeed.It happened on occasion that the OO or BOS was pinned to the spot by a zealous or stupid beat man with a cocked rifle.Certainly, in the Don, weapons were discharged, either by default or design, by members of the guard when persons tried to sneak up on them.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Heres one for the day thats in it.. burkie once won a live turkey in the westbourne bar draw and went home on the train with just the neck sticking out of the box. on the train it was a laugh as the turkey gobbled away and it then started to peck at a womans sandwich and generally acting up. the place was in uproar as burkie had a glass of beer and mr turkey took a drop of that too, anyway rumour has it that the ass went out of the box in galway and the turkey done a legger..

Comment

Seanie Burke?...
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Seanie Burke?...
                  Thats the man

Comment

ok out with it what did everyone get for christmas.. jocks,, socks,, vouchers,, etc,,and include the unusual

Comment

I got what I asked for sweet FA oh except my daughter did by me a ticket to go with her to a concert im march.

Seanie was one of those who when you met him you knew it was going to involve at least one hangover.

Damn fine Leading Seaman.

Comment

Murf: Numan?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yup 4th march Gary Numan Replicas 2008 tour at the Tripod in Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            Yup 4th march Gary Numan Replicas 2008 tour at the Tripod in Dublin
                            i got the book at the moment out of range sold out of easons a week before christmas
                            the author keeps mentioning the dauphin on the ship - you then realise the book is all fiction - not a bad book

Comment

Hi Murph
                              I once sat in Gary Numan's Harvard.I couldn't give a shit about his alleged music but the guy really lit up when it came to talking aeroplanes.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

I have the book just can't seem to get around to starting it.

Yeah got to sit in same aeroplane.. have always liked the music The aviation side of things had always been a hobby.

Bear in mind the aviation side of Gary Numan is ancient history.

Back to the book...I suppse its a little surreal people writing about something we lived in and know the realities of how it was and the shit that went with it and no amount of glossing over can make some aspects of it lok good.. nor would they amke for good written entertainment

. Hard to read the fiction when you've lived the fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X