When I was a recruit....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Not to mention having to bang two rocks together to light your ciggie.
    You don`t know how lucky you were to have two rocks,living in the lap of luxury you were.
    We use to sit around dreaming about having two rocks to bang together.
    What do you mean abandon ship
    Are they taking requests?

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
      you might think so but eons ago when I was a recruit we gave the first week without uniforms and even when we did get issued with kit' it could hardly be called a uniform unless you were a mechanic

Recruits both army and NS were sunbject to sevre clothing shortages and most wore overalls ' 24bs beret and in NS case a white web belt c/w buckles

Three layers of upper body clothing under overalls that had some one with a very short body and long legs in mind buttons that fell out and could not be stitched back in and to add insult to injury were 'green'

these had to be creased and pressed like normal gear and it was only after 'final approval' we actually were issued proper working dress.

We were only iisued #1s two days before passing out and even at that no capbadges and unless you had your own they were all borrowed. White Gaiters come 'handed' and I'm still wonder who got two left ones as I had two 'right' ones nad because of the ways the straps fatened one was worn upside down with the end of the trousers covering the top fastening.

The boots were substandard as the heels were plastc and the black paint came off and left us with grey plastic heels which was only covered by aquiring some black gloss paint

We were only isseued with' gabardine coats' ( who will remember them) as we had to go to the national day of comemoration at it wa supposed to rain.. it didn't and we got to keep the coats. Got an over coat sometime later after a few freezing nights on guard,

If some one now complains about kit issue and laugh.. you have no idea how bad kit issue is until you have had your testicles eaten by army pink/orange long johns , woolen of course to stop you gettimg hypothermia because of the only leg covering being availble being thread bare over alls.

The LJ s were one use only as no matter how you washed them.. the shrunk and would not fit 'action man', and even though he was plastic without testicles he would still have found them unbearable

Marloy will back me up on all of this.
      who me

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
        you might think so but eons ago when I was a recruit we gave the first week without uniforms and even when we did get issued with kit' it could hardly be called a uniform unless you were a mechanic

Recruits both army and NS were sunbject to sevre clothing shortages and most wore overalls ' 24bs beret and in NS case a white web belt c/w buckles

Three layers of upper body clothing under overalls that had some one with a very short body and long legs in mind buttons that fell out and could not be stitched back in and to add insult to injury were 'green'

these had to be creased and pressed like normal gear and it was only after 'final approval' we actually were issued proper working dress.

We were only iisued #1s two days before passing out and even at that no capbadges and unless you had your own they were all borrowed. White Gaiters come 'handed' and I'm still wonder who got two left ones as I had two 'right' ones nad because of the ways the straps fatened one was worn upside down with the end of the trousers covering the top fastening.

The boots were substandard as the heels were plastc and the black paint came off and left us with grey plastic heels which was only covered by aquiring some black gloss paint

We were only isseued with' gabardine coats' ( who will remember them) as we had to go to the national day of comemoration at it wa supposed to rain.. it didn't and we got to keep the coats. Got an over coat sometime later after a few freezing nights on guard,

If some one now complains about kit issue and laugh.. you have no idea how bad kit issue is until you have had your testicles eaten by army pink/orange long johns , woolen of course to stop you gettimg hypothermia because of the only leg covering being availble being thread bare over alls.

The LJ s were one use only as no matter how you washed them.. the shrunk and would not fit 'action man', and even though he was plastic without testicles he would still have found them unbearable

Marloy will back me up on all of this.
        too right i will i9 hated those overalls had some laugh with the long johns though

Comment

too right i will i9 hated those overalls had some laugh with the long johns though
          pervert !!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

We ended up using those LJs as floor polish applicators. There was no way on God's green earth any of my recruit platoon would chance testicular engorgement !! Most of us wore track suit bottoms under the overalls...
            in fact I think I wore a track suit under the uniform for most of my recruit training.
            " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              pervert !!
              whats that got to do with long johns

Comment

had some laugh with the long johns though
                You had a laugh while the rest of use were enduring canabilistic under wear.....

Yeah we tried the track suit thing as well but given we had one track suit and were running up to 10 miles a day in it.. lets just say it wasn't pleasant.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  You had a laugh while the rest of use were enduring canabilistic under wear.....

Yeah we tried the track suit thing as well but given we had one track suit and were running up to 10 miles a day in it.. lets just say it wasn't pleasant.
                  funny thing was all we were issued with was green overalls jocks towels socks and those famous long johns what else were we supposed to wear. the track suits we had to buy ourselves and we had to wear civy jumpers to keep warm under the overalls. it was very cold them days on the square. if it wasnt for the running up and down those famous hills on haulbowline (when someone f+++++ up )we.d have all suffered from hypothermia several times over.

Comment

Originally posted by marloy View Post
                    funny thing was all we were issued with was green overalls jocks towels socks and those famous long johns what else were we supposed to wear. the track suits we had to buy ourselves and we had to wear civy jumpers to keep warm under the overalls. it was very cold them days on the square. if it wasnt for the running up and down those famous hills on haulbowline (when someone f+++++ up )we.d have all suffered from hypothermia several times over.
                    did you not get issued with the two rocks for the smoke break

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                      did you not get issued with the two rocks for the smoke break
                      there were none available until after final approval

Comment

It must have been the two rocks that Goldie mentioned
                        They probably gave him big one`s and no-one told him that he didn`t have to carry them everywhere. :confused:
                        Sure that would f**k up anyone`s back :wink:
                        Now I am kinda glad I didn`t issued with the rocks

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                          You don`t know how lucky you were to have two rocks,living in the lap of luxury you were.
                          We use to sit around dreaming about having two rocks to bang together.
                          This is beginning to sound like that scene from the "Life of Brian"

"....... Agghh ! He spat at me in the face ! "

" Ohhh, what I'd give to be spat at in the face ......"
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

It must have been the two rocks that Goldie mentioned
                            They probably gave him big one`s and no-one told him that he didn`t have to carry them everywhere. :confused:
                            Sure that would f**k up anyone`s back :wink:
                            Now I am kinda glad I didn`t issued with the rocks
                            sure the rocks dont work under water thats why you didnt get them

Comment

Originally posted by marloy View Post
                              sure the rocks dont work under water thats why you didnt get them
                              No I dont think so
                              They were all jealous of the shiny gold diving badge we got,that why we didn`t get the rocks . They didn`t want to spoil us.

Comment

No I dont think so
                                They were all jealous of the shiny gold diving badge we got,that why we didn`t get the rocks . They didn`t want to spoil us.
                                very true you cant have it all you had to be speciall to get the rocks

Comment

Working...
                                X