No announcement yet.

When I was a recruit....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard those who didnt get the rocks got two sticks to rub together instead. You had to rub them together very fast though, and some were better at it than others...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

First issue: green overalls, boots, socks(the woolly instant-shrink kind), beret,2 badges, a steel split-pin for the badges(thank you, Cessna), the long johns, the white plimsolls(seen in every british war film that featured recruit training), greatcoat (the miserably thin one), SD Nos 1 and 2(the same item) and the sundry remnants of the back end of the Q stores, such as battered mess tins and plate, aluminium, army and eating irons and a green plastic mug.
      classy, we were(not)
      regards
      GttC

Comment

You know the feeling of delight when the Q gets generous and starts giving you lots of stuff, and then you realise that he is only getting rid of his junk, by issuing it to you...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          I heard those who didnt get the rocks got two sticks to rub together instead. You had to rub them together very fast though, and some were better at it than others...
          They'd be no better than the rocks underwater !!!
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            They'd be no better than the rocks underwater !!!
            Granted the rocks would help you sink faster but the sticks on dry land (depending on length) would be easier to carry around being lighter.
            Since I got issued with neither,I am only guessing perhaps the individuals who got issued with either could enlighten us.
            I await with hopeful anticipation for replies to this as at moment I still believe they didn`t want to spoil me.
            What do you mean abandon ship
            Are they taking requests?

Comment

Recruit Camp 1978.

One Word to bring memories flooding back.

Blanco.

Comment

floor polish great for lighting coal fires in the school offices
                HAD TO BE USED IN MODERATION AS DISCOVERED 1 MORNING BY A CERTAIN UNNAMED WHILE PREPARING FOR GHQ

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                  Granted the rocks would help you sink faster but the sticks on dry land (depending on length) would be easier to carry around being lighter.
                  Since I got issued with neither,I am only guessing perhaps the individuals who got issued with either could enlighten us.
                  I await with hopeful anticipation for replies to this as at moment I still believe they didn`t want to spoil me.
                  are you falling into a trap about the rocks.. read the previous threads especially the one about carbon paper... t kelly is warrant

Comment

Originally posted by marloy View Post
                    floor polish great for lighting coal fires in the school offices
                    HAD TO BE USED IN MODERATION AS DISCOVERED 1 MORNING BY A CERTAIN UNNAMED WHILE PREPARING FOR GHQ
                    like myself i see you are at work....

Comment

Two of them actually.. milk carton invoved in the transaction, created a new secret weapon,,, milk carton full of traffic wax ...that was a morning to remember, I leave the other guy un named as he may not want to be known as an arsonist, but I reckon the primary culprit was John Carney.. this was typical of his quick fix mentality.

Remember the night he washed down the outside steps of the billets with water to remove the chipping white wash.. it froze.. the Orderly officer was due on rounds but was late, was wearing leather soled shoes and went down a flight on his arse.. Carney was last seen running through the old billets up stairs with the Orderly officer threating his life!

C'mon marloy.. your turn

I'm not at work..I'm going on night shift at 19.00.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        Two of them actually.. milk carton invoved in the transaction, created a new secret weapon,,, milk carton full of traffic wax ...that was a morning to remember, I leave the other guy un named as he may not want to be known as an arsonist, but I reckon the primary culprit was John Carney.. this was typical of his quick fix mentality.

Remember the night he washed down the outside steps of the billets with water to remove the chipping white wash.. it froze.. the Orderly officer was due on rounds but was late, was wearing leather soled shoes and went down a flight on his arse.. Carney was last seen running through the old billets up stairs with the Orderly officer threating his life!

C'mon marloy.. your turn

I'm not at work..I'm going on night shift at 19.00.
                        poor old john carney spent some time painting out the office that day youd never know what he,d do next

Comment

how many times did we have to scrub the drill shed with the ould tooth brush. teeth were never the same after that one

Comment

murphs
                            do you remember the famous disco run in the drill shed around christmas time.
                            all the instructors watching us like hawks. then the famous camp in tralee barracks and the march through the gap of dunloe and throw the wope half way through

Comment

how many times did we have to scrub the drill shed with the ould tooth brush. teeth were never the same after that one
                              brings back certain memories especially after the night my locker attacked the OOD and I gave afternoon in that damned place with said same tooth brush

murphs
                              do you remember the famous disco run in the drill shed around christmas time.
                              all the instructors watching us like hawks. then the famous camp in tralee barracks and the march through the gap of dunloe and throw the wope half way through
                              My memories of that weekend are far more spectacular,

Remember the crossing of the lake in the two geminis and how Pat Collins got thrown in... and me soon after him, had to finish the route march having been submerged in a lake ( funny how most of my NS career either started or began with me in water usually fully clothed,)

The 'Bomb Scare' at 3am with us running around like headless chickens to find out it was some sort of musical instrument left under a truck!

Yeah the famous disco.. Gerry Kearns break dancing and not a bird in sight...we got suckered into that one.

The infamous Mr. Bermingham !!!! Valentines weekend 1986

Are you completely sure you want your youngfella to join up??????
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
                                Recruit Camp 1978.

One Word to bring memories flooding back.

Blanco.
                                OH MY GOD!

Never personally, but I remember the old man and the older brothers having to put up with it!
                                Meh.

Comment

Working...
                                X