Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you in the NS back in the days......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
    Got 'done in' one night on a Spanish trawler by a steel hawser, which caused the ship to be diverted to to Castletown, where I was picted up by ambulance. That was bad enough, but not as bad as the Naval ambulance trip from there to Cork the following day. He took the 'short cut' through Inchagilagh(?) and the trip was so bad on the winding roads that I got off the stretcher and straped myself into the medics seat beside the rear door, as I was convinced that the lunatic driver was going to crash. I was so unnerved, that there were f***'s being shouted at the driver from the rear! But to no avail. Some trip that was!
    and jockey gaffeny probably asked whats wrong with you

Comment

• Got 'done in' one night on a Spanish trawler by a steel hawser, which caused the ship to be diverted to to Castletown, where I was picted up by ambulance. That was bad enough, but not as bad as the Naval ambulance trip from there to Cork the following day. He took the 'short cut' through Inchagilagh(?) and the trip was so bad on the winding roads that I got off the stretcher and straped myself into the medics seat beside the rear door, as I was convinced that the lunatic driver was going to crash. I was so unnerved, that there were f***'s being shouted at the driver from the rear! But to no avail. Some trip that was
      Having been kicked in the arse by a sea rider outside Castletown....brought back to ship..up the hook and off to Bantry...carried from Sickbay to flight deck...lashed to the boarding boat and deposited on the pier in Bantry..only to hit every bump and cattle grate 'Chippy 'Molloy had broken his leg in the same boat....Naval Service was a geat place for the odd accident
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Can I request that all members refrain from Posting the names of members of the NS, unless the incident you refer to is already in the public domain, or you have the express permission of those individuals to post their names.

Otherwise, your membership rights may be curtailed.
        Thank You.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Adds some colour....
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Adds undue attention. Everyone is entitled to their Privacy.

Comment

• Were you in the Navy when this happened?
              Attached Files

Comment

• Did the skippers surname begin with T?

Comment

• LE Banba

Capt. surname started with O'D. XO with G. Tried to maneuver into the Floating dock on one engine and a strong cross wind and tide. Grounding was not a big deal once all the "Base experts " calmed down. Ship was re-floated shortly afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    Did the skippers surname begin with T?
                    Not sure, but I know it hapened about 1976.

Comment

• Great photograph TP..wasn't even aware of that incident.

Comment

Were you in the Navy when this happened?
                        brilliant all heads out of bounds... the close up of the fellow with the ladder is even better the old gin and tonic was a lot stronger in the n,s then..

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Great photograph TP..wasn't even aware of that incident.
                          Thanks Murph. Stargazer told me that she had an engine disabled by a French mans nets, which caused damage to her 'A' brackets. When she came to Cork Dockyard, she found it difficult to manouver with a strong cross wind, and was pushed on to the mud. It can happen to the best of us.

Must add, that it was CPO Rory Mc Carthy (RIP) that gave me the photo many years ago.
                          Test Pilot
                          2/Lt
                          Last edited by Test Pilot; 22 October 2007, 20:04.

Comment

• Another tragedy! Were you in the service when this happened! On the Aisling or Eithne perhaps! at Latitude 51.36'02'' N 9.37'57''W. The Buda was left by a relative some time ago in the flower bed. Still there! Still remembered.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another tragedy! Were you in the service when this happened! On the Aisling or Eithne perhaps! at Latitude 51.36'02'' N 9.37'57''W. The Buda was left by a relative some time ago in the flower bed. Still there! Still remembered.
                              Sad times.. hard on crew of aisling .. young crewmen ..

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                                Sad times.. hard on crew of aisling .. young crewmen ..
                                The current No 2 in the NS was skipper of Aisling at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X