Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you in the NS back in the days......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
    Sad times.. hard on crew of aisling .. young crewmen ..
    I recall the time the Canadian guys sailed with Eithne to search the sea bed with a side scan sonar, which was towed by the ship. The hanger was used as the location for the winch control gear, monitors and recording equipment. Long days and nights were spent there drinking coffee and chatting with the guys as the ship under took a grid search of the sea bed. One late night while having a light harted chat in the hanger, an object crossed on the screen. It was clearly a suite case on the sea bed, nearly two miles deep. The tone of the conversation quickly changed as shock and disbelief set in and the realisation that we had found the debris field of Air India. I still remember that feeling after all these years..........

Comment

• Showing proper respect –eh!

Some years ago when the Irish Navy decided to purchase three mine sweepers from the British Government, a detachment of Irish naval personnel were sent to the UK to train in the operation of these ships. On such occocasions it would be common place to send these visitors on a tour of some local places of interest.

One day as the bus returned from a tour and was approaching the main gate of the base, it was noticed that there was a ‘flurry’ of activity just as the bus stopped at the barrier. The entire guard hurried to fall in and present arms as the officer in charge came to attention and held his salute. The bus driver quickly realised the reason for this display and leaned over to an Irish Chief Petty officer in the front seat who was in ‘civvies’ wearing a soft hat.

They think you are the CO of the base, as he has a hat like yours’. He smiled!

The CPO asked the driver to stop the bus beside the guard, which he did, and then disembarked, raised his hat to the guard and bellowed;
      Thank you my good men, well done’!
      He then climbed back aboard, and as the bus moved on there were ‘hoots’ and roars of laughter from the Irish lads in the back.

I get the feeling some ‘squaddie’ got a thick ear from the ood.
      Last edited by Test Pilot; 24 November 2007, 11:15.

Comment

• Lol ..I remember a former commander and OC Eithne having just a hat..and how the people out for the sunday stroll in Dun laoighre used to gasp in amazement when this figure would be met at the gangway by the QM and the OOD and be saluted either comming or going ashore

a spectacle to behold..that ****ing cap ..hardly to be expected on a ranking officer.

I was always amazed at the mans attitude toward his superiors and how he acted in contempt of anyone who dared to interfere with his 'Warship' ( his words ...not mine).

Yes he was totally politically incorrect in all of his ways but it was his ship and as far as he was concerned anything else didn't matter. I dread to think what would have happened should have he become 'flag'

I always got the impression a seaborne invasion of the 'six counties' was his top priority.

he put us in the firing line..got us tied up in every shit duty known to the NS but looking back I thank him for the oppertunity to remember some of the most unusual events that I have every witnessed.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Was he only wearing a hat?????:wink:
          Last edited by Test Pilot; 24 November 2007, 11:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            I always got the impression a seaborne invasion of the 'six counties' was his top priority.
            Fcuking brilliant. Sounds like a real war fighter.
            Meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by yooklid View Post
              Fcuking brilliant. Sounds like a real war fighter.
              You don't know the half of it! I was saying to Murph recently, that I had a friend in the Naval Service who gave me the 'ins' and 'outs' before I joined. He clearly didn't paint the full picture, or I wouldn't have joined!

Comment

• If people had realised some of the true ambitions of some of our leaders the DF would be a very empty place.

the 'warlord' in this case was a very fitting alternative nickname....and it was hardly youthful enthuiasm that led them to this level.

lets face it we hardly had a 'Ronseal ' DF at the time as it didn't exactly live up to what it said on the tin
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Overheard recently on marine VHF 16.

When a vessel leaves port it would be common practice for the captain to inform the local authorities of his time of departure, destination and so on.

(The following is to be read with a Scottish accent!)

‘Lerwick radio – ‘Fcuking Bast*rds’ - this is fishing vessel Nancy , departing north pier, bound for Campbelltown, six persons on board……….. . over.

Lerwick responds with the appropriate radio protocol and adds:

‘Fishing vessel Nancy, can you be mindful of using proper language while on the calling channel, over.

‘Aye, sorry about that! I put my hand on some wet paint while calling you’.

(real name of vessel not used).
                  Last edited by Test Pilot; 24 November 2007, 11:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                    Overheard recently on marine VHF 16.

When a vessel leaves port it would be common practice for the captain to inform the local authorities of his time of departure, destination and so on.

(The following is to be read with a Scottish accent!)

‘Lerwick radio – ‘Fcuking Bast*rds’ - this is fishing vessel Nancy , departing north pier, bound for Campbelltown, six persons on board……….. . over.

Lerwick responds with the appropriate radio protocol and adds:

‘Fishing vessel Nancy, can you be mindful of using proper language while on the calling channel, over.

‘Aye, sorry about that! I put my hand on some wet paint while calling you’.

(real name of vessel not used).
                    good one reminds me of a time a certain crew member got piles in his ass off the donegal coast (sore) in rough weather we went to anchor in killybegs and i had to call the local doctor via main head radio - i got thru to the doctors receptionist she asked me what the problem was after much sniggering and laughter and silence she finally got the message poor fellow had the gemini ashore in rough weather he survived the pain just about

Comment

• ah shit you mentioned piles..I thought this one was about Mugger when we swiped his 'torpedoes' for the dose of the pissing razor blades he got in Dunlaoighre.

Comment

• Report from lookout on the LE Orla, during salmon patrol in Smerick Harbour, circa 1998:

'Look out to bridge'

'Bridge'

'Hostile crowd massing on headland to port'

All eyes and binoculars look to port. Officer on duty goes to bridge wing and asks lookout to look again and advise.

'Eh, look out to bridge' in a sheepish voice.

'Bridge'.

'Herd of cows on headland to port'

'Very good'.
                        Last edited by Test Pilot; 25 November 2007, 17:06.

Comment

• I remember hearing a story of a Merchant Cadet(Not me) who was being instructed in steering.
                          He was advises to pick a point on the horizon, and steer for it. He picked a point, and did so. The story does not explain why the watchkeeping officer did not pay more attention, but after some time, the Watch officer noticed that the ship appeared to be heading for the port they had departed from the day before.

Cadet was using the sun as his reference point.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            I remember hearing a story of a Merchant Cadet(Not me) who was being instructed in steering.
                            He was advises to pick a point on the horizon, and steer for it. He picked a point, and did so. The story does not explain why the watchkeeping officer did not pay more attention, but after some time, the Watch officer noticed that the ship appeared to be heading for the port they had departed from the day before.

Cadet was using the sun as his reference point.
                            Brilliant! A Waterford skipper told me once, when he had his wife on board, she sat on the St.Bd side one afternoon, while the captain went to the bunk, having left the mate and helms man on the bridge. Some time later she arrived into the cabin. When the captain asked if everything was ok, she replied that the sun went to the other side of the ship and that it got cold. He twigged immediately that some thing was wrong and went straight to the bridge. The mate and crew man were still there chatting and had not realized that the ship had come about due to a gyro fault and were heading back to port . Can happen, does happen!
                            Last edited by Test Pilot; 26 November 2007, 08:23.

Comment

• All I can say is a big thanks to all the contributors here, but especially Moggy (who posts the way I remember him in real life) for flooding me with great memories.

I have the distinction of being the first ever QM on the Eithne. Looking at the Picture of the crew from 1986 has filled me with much emotion. It is funny that after so many years I still remember the names of my shipmates and have special memories of some.

These were special times and I, like the rest of you have many funny and wonderful stories regarding my time on the Eithne.

Alan
                              Last edited by Guest; 5 December 2007, 19:27.

Comment

• These were special times and I, like the rest of you have many funny and wonderful stories regarding my time on the Eithne
                                feel free to spin a yarn or two

I think you were one of the first to have a naval website so deserve some Kudos for that

Comment

Working...
                                X