Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nautical terms and bitching about pontoons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautical terms and bitching about pontoons...

Originally posted by Goldie fish
    Wait a while...let them think I have all this stuff in my head.

The Information comes from a Fine book, property of one HPT Murphy.
    The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea, which has the answer to all those nautical questions you always wondered about.
    Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, eh, GF.

Where did that one come from?
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

You probably were reading Ray Darcy's Fix it Friday books weren't you

On other news, It seems like the Royal Cork Yacht Club has donated free of charge marina Pontoon sections to the Naval Base. Nice to see the Officers have a place for their own little commands
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Zulu,
      Buy your own shaggin' boat and you can avail of pontoon space too! You can wear your own Skipper's hat and shout nautical phrases to your hearts content...Would the RCYC shun you for being a mere other-rank?
      regards
      GttC

Comment

slightly off topic..its an expensive book..about 35 euro..but it dispenses with the use the search tool reply!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
          Zulu,
          Buy your own shaggin' boat and you can avail of pontoon space too! You can wear your own Skipper's hat and shout nautical phrases to your hearts content...Would the RCYC shun you for being a mere other-rank?
          regards
          GttC
          No problem on Pontoon space since my family own a whole marina, working on my own boat, but I'll just have to avail of my fathers. As far as nautical phrases go, I'll use them appropriately:wink:
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Hi all
            Zulu, how about a picture of your boat then? Goldie, how about a book review of that Oxford book, then?.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

This is not the Book review section. If you visit the store section, I think HPT already covered it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                Hi all
                Zulu, how about a picture of your boat then? Goldie, how about a book review of that Oxford book, then?.
                regards
                GttC
                Which One? Bantry Puffin, Thalia, FIBI, Galavanter, Clea, BreakEven, Handy Mistress?

Nautical Terms and Bitching about pontoons! Classic

Comment

Right,Zulu,
                  Get your digital finger out and post up the lot,so. As someone whose sole boat experience has been on a Hobie Cat, I could stand some educating about small craft,etc.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Family Boats

Sorry about some of the pics quality, there scans of photos. Recently Sold the Bantry Puffin. Sad to see her go but she served well and practically built the marina by herself.

Thalia is in the med making money. She's a Benatteu first 45.5 that once won the round ireland race. We bought her as an insurance write off and brought her back to life for charter purposes.

Clewless, FlyingDutch Man and Breakeven are my fathers hobby. All National 18ft class. 3 crew with one on trapeze. Clewless is the new design that is currently the standard boat being raced. His current boat clea, is on loan from friends.

Trying to find good pics of galavanter. She was a westerly discus 35. Sadly a large barge took a fancy to her along side a quay wall up west and she came off the worst. Her wreck is currenlty lying in Kilmacsimon boat yard.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My first Boat. Optimist aged 6
                      Attached Files

Comment

You know they invented the internal combustion engine recently. You should look into it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU
                          My first Boat. Optimist aged 6
                          awwwwwwwwww so cute........................why do i get an image in my head of jaws coming up behind you ??????????????????????????????????:wink:
                          Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                            You know they invented the internal combustion engine recently. You should look into it.
                            They tend to be expensive to run and maintain. They also require less skill to helm

Comment

Working...
                            X