Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

navy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
    Why is the assumption that any new berthage is within the basis?
    If the NS does ever get an EPV/MRV it could be much large than any current vessel.
    There is a Request for tender issued by the Department of Defence, to dredge basin West plus West wall area of silt( Contaminated ), to fit out west wall to berth 2 x 90 metre vessels to include shore power, water, lighting, access roads, and work areas, and to make staggered berthing for two ships in the Graving Dock. The tender also includes surveying the condition of Spenser Jetty. My own view is in an earlier comment. With all walls occupied by single berths, the central manoeuvring area will be about 140metres reducing towards the Basin entrance. Not enough for 130metre vessel.

    Comment


    • I don't like the dismissal of the stonework in the graving dock. It served a purpose. The document also seems to be unaware of the function of a caisson and the usefulness it, and the pump house earmarked for demolition, could provide.
      German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
      German 2: Private? I am a general!
      German 1: That is the bad news.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        It started sinking sometime round 2010, was scrapped soon after. Was in frequent use for maintenance of the CPVs but couldn't manage anything much bigger. There was a much larger one along side it for years.


        Given that a lot of our energy production will in the coming years be offshore it is a pity that the old facilities have gone. Even just the fabrication of the towers would be a decent amount of work.

        Comment


        • Well Leibherr are assembling cranes there at present. There is still plenty of space for fabrication, and plenty of mobile crane suppliers with impressive lift capabilities nearby so all is not lost, but modern fixed STS or Dockyard.cranes.make the whole business a bit safer.
          German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
          German 2: Private? I am a general!
          German 1: That is the bad news.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            Well Leibherr are assembling cranes there at present. There is still plenty of space for fabrication, and plenty of mobile crane suppliers with impressive lift capabilities nearby so all is not lost, but modern fixed STS or Dockyard.cranes.make the whole business a bit safer.
            The site is described as DSG CORK Terminal. My view is that it will be a cargo handling terminal and repair will become a diminishing part of the facility. Perhaps long term afloat repairs will disappear. However since a lot of ships are gearless, large cranes , mobile or otherwise will be essential for cargo handling. Trucking will also be needed over narrow winding roads.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              The site is described as DSG CORK Terminal. My view is that it will be a cargo handling terminal and repair will become a diminishing part of the facility. Perhaps long term afloat repairs will disappear. However since a lot of ships are gearless, large cranes , mobile or otherwise will be essential for cargo handling. Trucking will also be needed over narrow winding roads.
              If they can get the 1500t mobile crane in, which has a travelling weight of 106t, they can get trucks in. It may also give some incentive to modernising and widening that stretch of road.
              They did it on the Whitegate road when the refinery was built over 50 years ago.
              German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
              German 2: Private? I am a general!
              German 1: That is the bad news.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                The site is described as DSG CORK Terminal. My view is that it will be a cargo handling terminal and repair will become a diminishing part of the facility. Perhaps long term afloat repairs will disappear. However since a lot of ships are gearless, large cranes , mobile or otherwise will be essential for cargo handling. Trucking will also be needed over narrow winding roads.
                Why go by road when you can go by water?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOwMmkP-94

                If you need something smaller then
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mr_pCrhTkk

                Comment


                • Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                  Why go by road when you can go by water?
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOwMmkP-94

                  If you need something smaller then
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mr_pCrhTkk
                  Ok. Ways to skin cats. No beaches at DSG yard. Just to note. I spent 2 years in total standing by building two ships at VCD. The offices and facilities were under the Building Slips and were adjacent and parallel to the graving dock. When a ship is docked, and dry, all ship's domestics shuts down except a single galley outlet for grey water. The crews used the wash and restrooms ashore. There seems to be no assignable facilities adjacent to the Dock now. The History of this sole national Dock is that when Lemass assembled 18 ocean going ships to feed the nation during 1939-1945, he knew they needed a drydock so the state took over Cork Dockyard for the use of ISL. In latter years the State has relinquished it's responsibility for key infrastructure to profit motivated entities. There is now some plan afoot at DSG and it isn't to improve ship repair and maintenance. The site except for sheds is flattened.

                  Comment


                  • No beaches - then use the slipways

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      No beaches - then use the slipways
                      There is no way to get off the slipways. They are at an incline and don't finish on the seabed. They are designed for ships to slide off into a high tide. They don't work the other way round.
                      German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                      German 2: Private? I am a general!
                      German 1: That is the bad news.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                        Ok. Ways to skin cats. No beaches at DSG yard. Just to note. I spent 2 years in total standing by building two ships at VCD. The offices and facilities were under the Building Slips and were adjacent and parallel to the graving dock. When a ship is docked, and dry, all ship's domestics shuts down except a single galley outlet for grey water. The crews used the wash and restrooms ashore. There seems to be no assignable facilities adjacent to the Dock now. The History of this sole national Dock is that when Lemass assembled 18 ocean going ships to feed the nation during 1939-1945, he knew they needed a drydock so the state took over Cork Dockyard for the use of ISL. In latter years the State has relinquished it's responsibility for key infrastructure to profit motivated entities. There is now some plan afoot at DSG and it isn't to improve ship repair and maintenance. The site except for sheds is flattened.
                        Given the imminent isolation of Ireland by the loss of the land bridge to Europe we need to refocus on our Maritime weaknesses. We must strive to be more self sufficient and not expect others to save us. In the upcoming Defence proposals/evaluations it is time to decide, once and for all, a Naval Stance for Ireland. Navy's are just NOT for Fishery Protection, and maritime policework , but require a series of response capabilities to reach a deterrence level for modern threats. Right now we are floundering and are losing manpower for more than two or more years. The result is a resizing mindset which of course weakens responses, and numbs ambition towards new tonnage and capability. In the mean time several countries are building up Navies and adding SSK's for the first time.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          Given the imminent isolation of Ireland by the loss of the land bridge to Europe we need to refocus on our Maritime weaknesses. We must strive to be more self sufficient and not expect others to save us. In the upcoming Defence proposals/evaluations it is time to decide, once and for all, a Naval Stance for Ireland. Navy's are just NOT for Fishery Protection, and maritime policework , but require a series of response capabilities to reach a deterrence level for modern threats. Right now we are floundering and are losing manpower for more than two or more years. The result is a resizing mindset which of course weakens responses, and numbs ambition towards new tonnage and capability. In the mean time several countries are building up Navies and adding SSK's for the first time.
                          We only have to look at NZ, with a similar population and economy as ours, and a similar security profile. They can manage a Naval fleet of Helicopter capable OPVs and an MRV, as well as a fleet oiler, Dive support ship and 2 frigates. And without the financial support from their neighbouring continental states... OK they have crewing issues too, but nowhere near our problems..
                          All it takes is political will.
                          German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                          German 2: Private? I am a general!
                          German 1: That is the bad news.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                            We only have to look at NZ, with a similar population and economy as ours, and a similar security profile. They can manage a Naval fleet of Helicopter capable OPVs and an MRV, as well as a fleet oiler, Dive support ship and 2 frigates. And without the financial support from their neighbouring continental states... OK they have crewing issues too, but nowhere near our problems..
                            All it takes is political will.
                            This week from Nautical journals "Future Mine hunting system comes to CLYDE". It is a GRP style half decker which is equipped with side scan sonar and other tracking sensors to allow it map an area and detect the presence of UW ordnance or hazards. Although developmental with ATLAS Electronik on board it has reached Initial Operating Cabability ( IOC ) at HMNB CLYDE. It operates Crew on Board, Crew Ashore, or Autonomously. The boat is named RNMB HARRIER-Google for more information. The benefits might be many more units deployable for harbour, estuarine, river, or canal areas. Ships with ROV's and target destruction means may be still relevant for routes at sea.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              This week from Nautical journals "Future Mine hunting system comes to CLYDE". It is a GRP style half decker which is equipped with side scan sonar and other tracking sensors to allow it map an area and detect the presence of UW ordnance or hazards. Although developmental with ATLAS Electronik on board it has reached Initial Operating Cabability ( IOC ) at HMNB CLYDE. It operates Crew on Board, Crew Ashore, or Autonomously. The boat is named RNMB HARRIER-Google for more information. The benefits might be many more units deployable for harbour, estuarine, river, or canal areas. Ships with ROV's and target destruction means may be still relevant for routes at sea.
                              It is the Atlas Elektronik ARCIMS system, an 11m remote vessel that has been in development for some years. It can be ship based or shore based, indeed for the latter it can be truck mounted to allow ease of transport around the country.
                              https://www.atlas-elektronik.com/sol...ms/arcims.html

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                We only have to look at NZ, with a similar population and economy as ours, and a similar security profile. They can manage a Naval fleet of Helicopter capable OPVs and an MRV, as well as a fleet oiler, Dive support ship and 2 frigates. And without the financial support from their neighbouring continental states... OK they have crewing issues too, but nowhere near our problems..
                                All it takes is political will.
                                Yes absolutely. Given the incident in the English Channel yesterday we need to look at and plan as to how we respond to un- warranted incidents at sea. A VTS monitoring of AIS information is the first clue to ships behaving abnormally or in a wrong approach lane. The follow up procedures when intervention becomes necessary is BY WHOM and with WHAT. Our National lack of response was aired not far away from Tuskar Lighthouse just a week ago, when a 4000 tonne container ship lost power.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X