No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irish Naval ship, LÉ Róisín, has left for the Mediterranean on a three-month humanitarian mission to aid migrants fleeing Syria and other Middle Eastern and African countries.

. LÉ Róisin departing for Mediterranean mission

The Irish naval vessel Róisín is to depart for the Mediterranean later today to undertake humanitarian search and rescue operations in conjunction with the Italian authorities.

The ship will depart from Haulbowline in Cork.

Its 57-strong crew have been completing pre-deployment training and preparing the ship for an extended deployment since receiving notice to sail.

Commanded by Lieutenant Commander Ultan Finegan, it will be the fourth Irish Navy ship to assist in the rescue effort in the Mediterranean.

The Defence Forces personnel that crewed LÉ Eithne, LÉ Niamh and LÉ Samuel Beckett in 2015 rescued over of 8,000 people during the course of their deployments to the Mediterranean.

Wishing them Bon Voyage and a safe trip...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Any update on the claim for armed mission allowance?

Comment

• The Irish Naval ship, LÉ Róisín, has left for the Mediterranean on a three-month humanitarian mission to aid migrants fleeing Syria and other Middle Eastern and African countries.

LÉ Róisín leaves for Mediterranean humanitarian mission

Comment

• Wishing them a safe trip

Comment

• Last AiS is off NW Spain earlier today @ 1.4 kts.

Comment

• P50 Augusta, Sicily

Originally posted by danno View Post
              Last AiS is off NW Spain earlier today @ 1.4 kts.
              L.E.Roisin is currently in Augusta , Sicily. As regards unarmed or Not Status, I see she is berthed on the southern side of a finger pier, with another warship berthed on the Northern side, and both warships are protected by an enclosing floating boom. It indicates there is a calculated danger that the Italians don't want to ignore. When she approaches Libyan waters, remember the old adage, dissidents/IS have to be lucky just once, whereas we must remain lucky all the time. We must make our own luck and be armed an alert.

Comment

• That's actually an historical photo on marine traffic , the vessel on the berth in the photo/ sat image were Roisin is berthed is the USS Mount Whitney , hence the boom.
                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                  That's actually an historical photo on marine traffic , the vessel on the berth in the photo/ sat image were Roisin is berthed is the USS Mount Whitney , hence the boom.

Berth that she is on is the NATO berth. All visiting NATO vessels use it for fuelling.

Comment

• Did I read that IRCG had to take a crew member with a head injury off Roisin?

Get well soon

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Did I read that IRCG had to take a crew member with a head injury off Roisin?

Get well soon

No that was Beckett P61

Comment

• Positional Report P.50

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                        That's actually an historical photo on marine traffic , the vessel on the berth in the photo/ sat image were Roisin is berthed is the USS Mount Whitney , hence the boom.
                        Sorry about that. the marine traffic MAP showed a position for P50 in Augusta on that berth from a few minutes before I queried the MAP. I swx to Satellite and found the booms. USS Mount Whitney seems to have been in GAETA on the Mainland on 5th may 2016. Remarkable ship been in commission since January 1971 , making her 45/47 years old as build started in 1969.

Comment

• The Mount Whitney visited Dublin Port in the mid 70's - I have photos somewhere from my trip onboard. I'm amazed she's still in service.
                          “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                          ― Thucydides

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
                            The Mount Whitney visited Dublin Port in the mid 70's - I have photos somewhere from my trip onboard. I'm amazed she's still in service.
                            I was onboard her as well during that visit , i was teenager then , and yes some age for such an active ship .
                            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• FORST people arrived home from Sicily today
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• P 50 sar

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                FORST people arrived home from Sicily today
                                P 50 seems to have left Augusta (10th?) on her first SAR sweep. I wish them well.

Comment

Working...
                                X