Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Public transport, should be a service, not for profit. It should travel whether making a loss or not.
    In Tallinn they introduced free travel for all residents, the loss in direct income was partially made up by greater economic activity. If there are more business and people working in a city then local taxes go up. While it might not be a solution for every town and city there are plenty of candidates where it could work.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      In Tallinn they introduced free travel for all residents, the loss in direct income was partially made up by greater economic activity. If there are more business and people working in a city then local taxes go up. While it might not be a solution for every town and city there are plenty of candidates where it could work.
      One problem is how the routes available haven't kept up with the size of the cities now. It will be interesting to see if the Covid fallout kills off the suggested Cork Luas line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        One problem is how the routes available haven't kept up with the size of the cities now. It will be interesting to see if the Covid fallout kills off the suggested Cork Luas line.
        Cork Luas line would be just the type of project to be investing in post-Covid

Comment

• CIE had a plan for the rail freight 45 years ago, I wonder what happened?

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Cork Luas line would be just the type of project to be investing in post-Covid
            And the money comes from where? Right now I wouldn't bet on any capital projects that haven't already started getting much attention unless there's some sort of global Marshall plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
              CIE had a plan for the rail freight 45 years ago, I wonder what happened?

It was the heady days after joining the EEC, but we were not prepared for what happened.
              Also £24m seems an awfully low figure, it would be only be £250m today. That would be around 40km of motorway today. And well short of the E15,000m Ibec proposed for all island motorways a few years back.

Comment

And the money comes from where? Right now I wouldn't bet on any capital projects that haven't already started getting much attention unless there's some sort of global Marshall plan.
                There will not be a global Marshall plan but some monies will be available from EIB and other sources. It is better to have people working on infrastructure projects than paying them to sit at home. Many businesses which are closed today will never return as the public has moved on. Sadly we shop more online now and for many it is the first time, will this continue who knows. Pubs etc may stay closed until next year, if so those jobs are gone until then at least.

But we will have to see what comes as a program for government, to see how they propose to quickly get the economy going again.

Comment

There will not be a global Marshall plan but some monies will be available from EIB and other sources. It is better to have people working on infrastructure projects than paying them to sit at home. Many businesses which are closed today will never return as the public has moved on. Sadly we shop more online now and for many it is the first time, will this continue who knows. Pubs etc may stay closed until next year, if so those jobs are gone until then at least.

But we will have to see what comes as a program for government, to see how they propose to quickly get the economy going again.
                  Nothing that is currently being talked about will do the job though (ie through the EIB or the fudge from a couple of weeks ago). Italy is ****ed if there isn't and that's a G8 country we're talking about, Spain looks like it's going to be heading the same way if they do then we're looking at another Credit Crunch at the same time as Covid. As to moving to infrastructure programs, again when we are talking about the scale of the economic shock we're going to get (10% drop in GDP at current estimates) and the likelihood that the traditional unemployment vent of migration is unlikely to be there and the debt we're going to take on...

Yeah, just meeting current spending is going to be tough and likely to need borrowings for that alone, and it's most likely that the Health budget is just going to swallow anything that isn't spent.

Comment

Nothing that is currently being talked about will do the job though (ie through the EIB or the fudge from a couple of weeks ago). Italy is ****ed if there isn't and that's a G8 country we're talking about, Spain looks like it's going to be heading the same way if they do then we're looking at another Credit Crunch at the same time as Covid. As to moving to infrastructure programs, again when we are talking about the scale of the economic shock we're going to get (10% drop in GDP at current estimates) and the likelihood that the traditional unemployment vent of migration is unlikely to be there and the debt we're going to take on...

Yeah, just meeting current spending is going to be tough and likely to need borrowings for that alone, and it's most likely that the Health budget is just going to swallow anything that isn't spent.
                    Social welfare will we have gone from 5 to 20% unemployment within weeks

Comment

Personally I get the feeling that much of the economy hopefully will be able to switch back on (the problem will be rents etc that have built up), I also get the feeling the government will want to spend (invest) to get The economy moving.

The important limitation will be childcare and schools, if people can’t go to work due to minding kids...

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Personally I get the feeling that much of the economy hopefully will be able to switch back on (the problem will be rents etc that have built up), I also get the feeling the government will want to spend (invest) to get The economy moving.

The important limitation will be childcare and schools, if people can’t go to work due to minding kids...
                        I'm not sure to be honest, I mean the tourism sector/hospitality/entertainment/sports are screwed straight off, then you get into the state of other economies (again as mentioned two major Eurozone nations have significant issues), then you have Brexit and the UK's "full speed ahead to the iceberg" approach currently... There's a lot of global economic headwinds against the economy I fear.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Social welfare will we have gone from 5 to 20% unemployment within weeks
                          That as well and the Covid employment payment as well, so as I said the state is going to be challenged to meet Current Spending with the downturn already. If we get into another Credit Crunch like last decade at the same time?

Comment

We still have a company called Córas Iompair Éireann, which years ago before the image consultants got a hold of it even have a unified image and structure. If the will was there it would be one of the main drivers of an integrated transport system. Look at Tivoli, plenty of containers, trailer units as well as cars are offloaded here, there is even a railway running along its northern edge but is there a freight siding? That means for transport everything has to go on the roads. And then there is Rosslare, not a single container bridge, plenty of trailers all waiting for a tractor unit to come and pick them up. If we had a properly designed system we would be shifting a lot onto rail.

There was a good reason why years ago if you had a quay there was a railway on it. Today we still see that the most efficient ports in Europe still have this type of connection.
                            Rail freight volume fell by 88% between 1980 and 2009. The short journey time by road, closure of the traditional customer base, JIT manufacturing, etc. It is most efficient for transporting bulk goods

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                            Nothing in Ireland is future proofed (often not even meeting demand at time of building)

Comment

I'm not sure to be honest, I mean the tourism sector/hospitality/entertainment/sports are screwed straight off, then you get into the state of other economies (again as mentioned two major Eurozone nations have significant issues), then you have Brexit and the UK's "full speed ahead to the iceberg" approach currently... There's a lot of global economic headwinds against the economy I fear.
                              And not forgetting the orange lad.

When we open back up a lot will depend on how the Irish tourist sector will be able to compete with foreign destinations for Irish tourists (staycations).

What MoF Dev would do is reduce all rates of tax immediately and people will spend in volume.

I would also harness the current will/can do attitude across all (especially public sector) to effect real change to make doing business across all sectors more efficient and cost effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                There isn't even a pub in Ringaskiddy any more.
                                Not true, The Ferryboat Inn (FBI) still operating (Before the COVID19 kicked in anyway!)

Comment

Working...
                                X