No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tourist information board in Dun Laoighre says that the harbour has the only working saluting battery in the country.

And if it's written on a tourist information board it must be true.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

But its a Jackeen tourist board..they only say that so you won't venture beyond the Pale!
      The Saluting Battery in Fort Davis was only brought into action in 1990,and has been used During the Tall ships race in 1992(I think that was the year..),and the Naval service 50th Birthday celebrations in 1996,as well as the visit of many Cruise Liners and Historic ships.
      I have a photo of it...somewhere...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I suppose it would be too much to ask the Brazilians to bring the Sao Paulo on the next visit.
        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

French Navy ship D'entrecasteaux P674 is at Sir John Rogersons Quay today 17 Sept. The vessel is a survey ship, armed with 2 .5 ,s and has a helicopter landing facility at the stern. The hanger was a telescopic type that could contract to give a bigger landing area. My knowledge of matters Naval is sadly lacking so apoligies for the brief discription.

Comment

Is this her?

Pennant numbers change depending on role,in some services. Germany is another example.

Comment

Thats the ship, the hanger was extended when I saw her earlier today, it looks quite compact in this photo.

Comment

River Class OPV HMS Tyne is at Sir John Rogersons Quay today 26/9/04.

Comment

Did anyone get a close look? Photos even?

Comment

No photo's but the ship was still there today (Tuesday), will bring camera to work and if she is still there at lunch time tomorrow the I'll get snaps.

Comment

The HMS Tyne was there on Monday morning - appeared to be gone on Monday afternoon and then was back later in the week, either Tuesday or Wednesday - which I thought was slightly unusual.

Apparently the Royal Navy rent this class of vessel off the ship builders for 320 days in the year. With the makers of the Roisin class now apparently out of business, would the Tyne class and the method the RN used to attain them be a possible route for the Naval service? Might even allow the number of ships in service to get up to ten.... that'll be the day...

Interesting information:

Seems suited to small scale overseas peace support missions i.e. Liberia..

Anyway just a thought...
                      Last edited by pym; 2 October 2004, 01:48.

Comment

The French Naval Vessel, Commandant Blaison is expected in Cork on a courtesy visit tomorrow. It will remain in Cork until October 19.
                        It is one of the D'estienne D'orves class,which have been frequent visitors to cork. It was Comissioned in 1982,and based in Brest.
                        It is 80m Long and armed with Exocet missiles and a 100mm Main Gun.

Comment

it was a scary sight to have that gun pointing towards the bus on the way home on friday
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

The area aft where the 375mm Launcher used to be now contains a dual missile launcher,similar in size to stinger,on a permanent manpad. Looked pretty practical for point defence.(if 2 shots is considered enough..)

Comment

HMCS St John was in Cork during the week(See the news section)

I would have seen it but for the fact that the route i would normally take to training,which would have brought me past this ships berth,I decided not to take this week,as I didnt have to collect anyone on the way there..

So its their fault I didnt get any photos.
                              She is however almost identical to HMCS Montreal,which was in Cork for the Naval Service 60th Anniversary back in 1996.

Comment

It was the 50th anniversary.

Comment

Working...
                                X